PDA

View Full Version : Favorite map maker

Claybot
July 19th, 2012, 18:45
What is the best map maker to use. I'm just starting out and wan to get things going. I see Dundjinni mentioned quite a bit, is this the best one?

wbcreighton
July 19th, 2012, 19:11
I can't list my favourite, but check out this thread for the free and easiest to use:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14877

My 4 year old and 6 year old use it to make maps. ( in minutes ). Good when you need something fast.

Trenloe
July 19th, 2012, 19:11
There are a few mentioned in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14750

Pyro's mapper (linked in wbcreighton's post above) is a good quick and easy, tile based mapper (free) - probably the easiest to get into and creates good maps, primarily for use as combat maps in Fantasy Grounds.

What is seen as the "best" is very subjective - a lot depends on how good you are artistically, a number of members on this forum do amazing maps in normal paint/graphics programs. It also depends on how much money you want to spend and how much time you are willing to take learning the program.

There are also a number of mapping programs out there. Personally, I use Campaign Cartographer 3 - it has a steep learning curve, but there are some great video tutorials to help. There are lots of expansions available - including a monthly release via their annual subscription. I'm terrible artistically, but I've managed to create a number of passable maps - some available here: https://www.cartographersguild.com/album.php?u=23781 Spoiler alert for anyone playing the Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords adventure path!

Dunjinni appears to be a similar type of mapping program to Campaign Cartographer - I've seen some lovely maps created with that too.

Zeus
July 19th, 2012, 19:15
There are lots of tools available; as for the best one, that I think is very much personal choice.

Broadly speaking the choices include:

Dedicated RPG Cartography solutions - Dundjinni, Campaign Cartographer 3 seem to be quite popular - I have both but only use them rarely. They have great community support and there's lots of content that can be accessed via the Annuals and Asset sets.
Generic Raster packages - Photoshop, GiMP, Paint .NET etc. etc.
Vector Drawing packages - Illustrator, CorelDraw etc. etc.

I think I am right in saying Dundjinni is quicker to learn than CC3, however CC3 has a lot of functionality that when mastered delivers some rather nice maps.

I prefer using Photoshop but thats mainly because I like working with raster images and prefer hand drawn, simplistic styles of map.

Claybot
July 19th, 2012, 20:07
Thanks for the quick responses, I'll definitely be using pyro's mapper to start out with. I'll look into the other programs for needs beyond that. When you make your maps in photoshop do you a lot of premade images (Tables, doors, trees, etc..)?

Blue Haven
July 19th, 2012, 20:19
I agree with Zeuss at same points Dundjinni and CC3 are the best ones but you will get great results if you join a image program to the pool...well i learned how and now its Dundjinni and Photoshop ;)

Zeus
July 19th, 2012, 20:38
Thanks for the quick responses, I'll definitely be using pyro's mapper to start out with. I'll look into the other programs for needs beyond that. When you make your maps in photoshop do you a lot of premade images (Tables, doors, trees, etc..)?

Depends, I have a vast collection of assets to draw from if I need a quick map.

I sat down one day and exported all the VH res .pngs from my various Dundjinni packs and CC3 tools/annuals and cross compiled them with loads of public domain assets (mainly from the CSUAC). These were then imported into Photoshop, de-saturated or de-coloured, resized and exported as individual png assets. I can pretty much import any of the assets into any of my PS maps and still maintain style and effect. I have most things covered but still often find the need to create something thats missing.

I also sat down one day and scanned in my entire Dungeon Tiles set (DU1-7 and now MS1-3) at 300dpi. These again were imported into PS, adjusted and exported as PNG textures, assets and tokens. I use these assets with the 4E Enhanced Images extension which enables tile based and multi-layered maps within FGII. They can also be used with PyMapper or Pyro's online tool but as they contain copyrighted IP, I am not able to share. :( Shame really as took me ages + its a really nice set.

Finally and if I have the time, I will hand draw (using a tablet) and colour a map if needed. Regrettably I don't get as much time to do this as I would like. With this approach, everything is drawn, then inked then coloured, then shaded.

kairos
July 20th, 2012, 00:31
I rather like Fractal Mapper and Astrosynthesis (when I need starmaps).

Claybot
July 20th, 2012, 00:33
I'm focusing on good ol' fantasy right now. Starmaps are a whole nother can of worms.

kairos
July 20th, 2012, 00:39
I'm focusing on good ol' fantasy right now. Starmaps are a whole nother can of worms.

I should have been clearer: Fractal Mapper is for regular maps -- AS is for starmaps. :)

gmkieran
July 20th, 2012, 16:55
Google's Sketchup is my tool of choice. Not only do you end up with a cool perspective map when you're done, but you can export flavor shots from various angles. It's free, there is a sizable selection of textures available, as well as a large number of beautiful architectural models based in various fantasy worlds already created and freely shared by the community. I found it easier to learn than any of the dedicated tools or more advanced photo editors (still haven't wrapped my brain around PS), though I do some doctoring of my exported works in Gimp occasionally. Sketchup won't do *everything* but it's pretty darned handy for a lot.

Wish I had access to Dr Z's collection - I've found a few tile sets online that were freely shared, but more options are always better. ;)

Just my $.02
Cheers!
GMK

wbcreighton
July 20th, 2012, 17:14
Google Sketchup is an amazing program. Just to give it a try even if you never use it for gaming. Great for 3d models.

dr_venture
July 20th, 2012, 22:44
I'll throw a vote in for Fractal Mapper. I describe it as Campaign Cartographer 'very lite' both in terms of price and features. Much easier to learn than CC, still creates very nice vector maps. It seems to have all of the major features CC has, but often in a more limited scope. Then again, it's about $35... so you get what you pay for, I suppose. It's a good option if you want vector maps but not the broad features or associated learning curve of CC.

Trenloe
July 31st, 2012, 23:10
For those who haven't heard of the CSUAC - which is a list of free (but not public domain) images and fills you can use in many mapping and graphics programs:

https://www.vintyri.org/CSUAC/download.htm

damned
December 5th, 2013, 02:25
Ok guys - yes Im posting this reply to a few threads - cos - well its worth it.

If you were a part of this kickstarter and received the awesome minimap art kit but have been struggling to find the right tool to make use of these awesome tiles and havent quite worked it out (like me) then you shoudl look at this app that Qai posted today.

https://www.mapeditor.org/
you may or may not also have to install Python from www.python.org
now this app is not at all intuitive (to me anyway) but read this page: https://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/tutorials/introduction-to-tiled-map-editor--gamedev-2838 and import the interior tilesheets and suddenly life is starting to look good...

Valarian
December 5th, 2013, 12:10
When I do maps, I do them in Campaign Cartographer 3. The learning curve is steep though, especially for those used to graphics packages, as it's a CAD based mapper. It's the best tool for me though, being severely artistically challenged. A sense of aesthetics is all I need.