PDA

View Full Version : Rookie DM

Averix
July 17th, 2012, 02:27
Learning a bit more about the FG and wondering...
For me to be able to run a few games for the group, what do you suggest I get?

I have FG Full and would I need to pick-up some type of VOIP?

ragnaroc1011
July 17th, 2012, 02:32
What I did was play in a few games run by Trenloe, madman and a few others to get a good idea of how PFS flows within Fantasy Grounds. That within itself taught me a lot. Besides that, I think the PFS Yahoo group may have a Mumble server that everyone uses. Personally, I have a Ventrillo server that I keep running that I use for this.

Blackfoot
July 17th, 2012, 20:42
I have FG Full and would I need to pick-up some type of VOIP?
I usually run my games with Skype for voice software. It tends to run more smoothly for me, is free, and I prefer the open mic environment as it lends itself to players being more open to talking and joking during play.
FG2PFS group has it's own Ventrillo server as well and at least one of the GMs runs using Mumble.
The Vent server address is: ny2.ugt-servers.com
Port number: 36256
Password: pfsfg

Nestor
July 17th, 2012, 21:19
Skype works for voice.
I have a mumble server that I would consider allowing other GM's to use.

I also have a game scheduled for wed-night

Forum link:HERE (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16925)

Calendar link:HERE (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=852)

I am not the most experienced GM, but i usually can get the Scenario's completed in the allotted time.

wbcreighton
July 17th, 2012, 22:02
What I did was play in a few games run by Trenloe, madman and a few others to get a good idea of how PFS flows within Fantasy Grounds. That within itself taught me a lot. Besides that, I think the PFS Yahoo group may have a Mumble server that everyone uses. Personally, I have a Ventrillo server that I keep running that I use for this.

If you can play in a game or two and occasionally ask the GM "How did you just do that ?" you'll learn fast.

Averix
July 31st, 2012, 01:49
Awesome!
I'll try to join a few more games and get into the mix with you guys to learn the DM process.

Another question: How do you send people the sheets to know what they're going to buy after they've successfully completed the mission?

Trenloe
July 31st, 2012, 02:21
Awesome!
Another question: How do you send people the sheets to know what they're going to buy after they've successfully completed the mission?
See post #2 of this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16899

For blank chronicle sheets in PDF format. Copy/paste from the chronicle sheet at the back of the PFS scenario PDF into the blank form and then modify appropriately for each PC(character name and PFS #, Faction, XP, Prestige and Gold gained), save and then use a PDF digital signature with a scan of your signature (easy to create within Adobe Reader) and this will lock the PDF. Post the PDFs in your scenario discussion thread you will have created for your game in this forum.

Mgrancey
July 31st, 2012, 07:46
I picked up a free program from download.com that can split up pdf's so I just make the chronicle sheet as its own PDF, sign the bottom Event, #, Date, Sign, GM PFS # and then save it as a base template.

Than I add in the rest of the information and "X" out what they don't get. Don't know why it runs so badly on my pc for filling out form fillable PDFs but that works much easier and faster than using the blank template someone (forget who at the moment) built. And then when its all filled out, then click "Done Signing" and save it to email or transfer using skype.

Averix
August 2nd, 2012, 03:35
Those are awesome!
I finally got my class scheduled to another day and can now start playing and learning from you guys.
Well, I guess I just moved one class to take another class from you'll

JohnD
August 2nd, 2012, 04:28
If you can play in a game or two and occasionally ask the GM "How did you just do that ?" you'll learn fast.
I observed a game and then played in one session before I started DMing.

Even then, most of the first few sessions were "I want to [insert]... how do I do that?" and I had several players who were experienced in FG and they gave me hints (even if a few of them didn't ultimately stick with my campaign).

People are generally pretty understanding and helpful; just be honest and let your potential players know you're new to using FG and running a game in it. :)

Averix
August 4th, 2012, 19:39
It's almost like we should make a tips & tricks post...

Trenloe
August 7th, 2012, 05:50
It's almost like we should make a tips & tricks post...
Good idea.

I've started a thread on creating your chosen PFS scenario in Fantasy Grounds:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=129738

This still needs to be expanded, but I've covered the first few steps.