PDA

View Full Version : FG Con 2012 - SpaceMaster - Cetagandan occupation of Barrayar

Dakadin
July 14th, 2012, 23:30
Cetagandan occupation of Barrayar
I will be running a SpaceMaster 2 game for the convention. It will be using the Rolemaster Classic ruleset with some modifications to better fit a SpaceMaster game. GMBazUK was nice enough to create a new graphics theme that better fits a SpaceMaster game.

The adventure is set in the universe of the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold. The PCs will be Barrayans from the Vorkosigan district. They will be resistance fighters in the Imperial Military reporting to General Piotr Vorkosigan. The adventure takes place shortly after the nuclear strike on Vorkosigan Vashnoi, the capital of Vorkosigan District.

Game Calendar: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=846
Time: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20120721T16&p1=840&ah=4

Background
Barrayar is an earth colony that was cutoff from the rest of the galaxy when their wormhole collapsed exposing the world to radiation. This forced them to focus on survival since the native vegetation is poisonous to Earth-descended life. Their technology wore out over time without being able to be replaced. Barrayar degenerated into a feudal society over the next few centuries.

About 25 years ago a new wormhole was found leading from Komarr to Barrayar ending the Time of Isolation. Barrayar was transitioning back into galactic society when about 10 years ago the Cetagandan empire attacked. They used nuclear weapons to take out the shuttleports and moved into to occupy Barrayar. The Barrayarans have engaged in guerilla warfare to fight the Cetagandans.

Count Piotr Vorkosigan has turned Vorkosigan District into one of the strongest centers of resistance. Because of his accomplishments fighting the Cetaganadans, Piotr earned the rank of General when he was 23 years old. The Cetagandans, frustrated with the resistance in Vorkosigan District, pulled out of Vorkosigan Vashnoi and bombed it with nuclear weapons.

Additional Information
Vorkosigan Saga: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorkosigan_Saga
History of Barrayar: https://www.nswiki.net/index.php?title=History_of_Barrayar

Pregenerated Characters
Verdell Browning - Combat Engineer
Brennan Buckner - Armsman
Clarence Frederick - Smuggler
Parrish Carlson - Bounty Hunter
Horacio Franklin - Explorer
Lathrop Bonner - Criminologist
Brandon Foster - Medic

bennis1980
July 15th, 2012, 01:04
Dakadin,

You are truely an amazingly gifted person. You must work on 25hr clocks.

I love spacemaster and this session would really interest me, only that its during the night and I was jaded the last time I did that (not to mention that I need to be up for another session the following day).

Good luck with it and I look forward to hearing how you got on with your spacemaster extention on the forums.

Dakadin
July 16th, 2012, 17:40
LOL. I've been thinking about how to do different ICE systems using the Rolemaster Classic ruleset for quite awhile now. I figured the SpaceMaster game for FG Con would be a good way for me to test my ideas. I didn't post the game until I was sure I could get enough done that a one shot could be run.

It isn't a full implementation of SpaceMaster but I have enough for the game. For tables, I've got 5 of the attack tables and the fumble table. Most of the critical tables are available in Arms Law or Spell Law but I am going to try to add 3 more if I have time. If not I will just change the weapons being used to something I have the tables for. I added the races which was more than I needed since all the PCs will be human. I manually entered the skills, equipment, etc.

GMBazUK did a great job with the skin. His artistic skills are much better than mine so I was very happy when he was willing to do some work on it. I think it gives the game a good sci-fi feel that is much better suited for SpaceMaster.

I also want to say the original people that worked on the ruleset did a good job of setting it up so it could handle expansion. This SpaceMaster implementation wouldn't have been possible without a lot more work if they organized things differently. I am still impressed that they were able to build this ruleset. :)

bennis1980
July 16th, 2012, 17:56
You may have noticed that I changed my mind and will be there for this session.

Sounds great. I would love to know how you add the tables / races etc... (another time :) )

Dakadin
July 16th, 2012, 19:08
Yeah, I did notice. It will be good to see you in another game.

Here is a post I created for adding critical tables with XML: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15988. I rarely modify the XML anymore. I tend to automate creating the XML from data that I've already input.

Dakadin
July 21st, 2012, 07:59
Added basic information about the pregenerated characters in the first post.

Killian
July 22nd, 2012, 12:11
Hey guys thanks very much for the game and showing me the system, was a lot fo fun and I agree the system definately has a lethal edge to it! Enjoy the rest of the con and I'll consider you guys if I'm looking about for other games in the future.

Dakadin
July 24th, 2012, 15:24
I'm glad you enjoyed it! It definitely has a lethal edge to it. You guys had some incredible rolls though.

It was fun playing in Valarian's Night Fears game with you also even though we were both punks at the beginning. :o

bennis1980
July 24th, 2012, 15:32
I'm glad you enjoyed it! It definitely has a lethal edge to it. You guys had some incredible rolls though.

It was fun playing in Valarian's Night Fears game with you also even though we were both punks at the beginning. :o

You certainly were!! You both behaved like teenagers

JohnD
July 24th, 2012, 16:38
Sorry I missed this... May/June/July/August are really tight in terms of gaming availability for me.