PDA

View Full Version : Module error (from 2.0 to 2.9)

amra806
July 13th, 2012, 01:29
Hi,

I'm actually converting a ruleset and it's modules from the version 2.0 to the version 2.9.
It's going well except for the modules.
When i changed the version, all the modules stopped working.
I tried them on the 3.5E ruleset, and they work just fine. It's only that it doesn't work on my ruleset.

Also, when opening the library, i fetch through the modules (with Module.getModules() ) and i get empty data (all fields are empty but not nil).

So could you tell me if there is a different way to load the modules? Because, i don't get the problem at all.

Thanks

madman
July 13th, 2012, 08:18
I am by no means a pro at this?

1. There is a tag in all modules that calls out the <ruleset/s> it will work with.
(definition.xml)

<root>
<name>3.5E Basic Rules</name>
<author>Fantasy Grounds 3.5E Essentials</author>
<ruleset>(3.5E) ...is this the same as the ruleset you are using?...</ruleset>
</root>

Sorry if you have tried this already.

Chris

amra806
July 13th, 2012, 13:16
Yes

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root>
<name>Pouvoirs Psion</name>
<author>White Wolf</author>
<ruleset>AEON</ruleset>
</root>

Thanks for your reply, but again the module work just fine. I tried it in the 3.5E ruleset and it's working.
But from the moment i change the version (in base.xml), all modules stopped working in my ruleset (even the letter tokens module!)

madman
July 13th, 2012, 13:37
There is a file called modulestate in your campaign folder. I just delete it and reopen the campaign. This has fixed problems I had in the past. the file gets recreated as soon as you open any modules up.

Chris

Trenloe
July 13th, 2012, 14:49
Please paste the first section of your base.xml code here so we can check that.

For example, the 3.5E ruleset has:

<root version="2.9" release="10" logo="logo.png">
<!-- ATTRIBUTES -->
<description>
<text>Fantasy ruleset for playing 3.5E</text>
<author>SmiteWorks USA, LLC</author>
<website>https://www.fantasygrounds.com</website>
</description>
<importinfo>
<acceptfrom ruleset="d20_JPG" />
<acceptfrom ruleset="d20" />
<acceptfrom ruleset="foundation" />
<acceptfrom ruleset="3.5E" />
</importinfo>
Please also paste the beginning of your module data file (db.xml, common.xml or client.xml - depending on what type of module it is). An example from the 3.5E Basic Rules Module is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<root version="2.0">
<library static="true">
<d20basicrules>
<name type="string">3.5E Basic Rules</name>
<categoryname type="string">3.5E Essentials</categoryname>
<entries>

Moon Wizard
July 13th, 2012, 20:43
Also, there are a few assumptions that change when you migrate from a ruleset in v2.0 to v2.9. You can see lots of detail on the library developer reference page (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/).

The primary items that people have run into when upgrading rulesets from v2.0 to v2.9 are:

* In older rulesets, the usealltrees option for windowlists was always on, and rulesets were built with that assumption. Now that the feature is optional, you need to make sure that your library windowlists are correctly using the usealltrees tag for your windowlists. You can use the 3.5E or 4E rulesets as a basis of where to look.

* In older rulesets, clients could edit the database in some situations, even if the client was not an owner of the database node being edited. Several templates from older rulesets use this assumption (including checkbox template). Basically, make sure that any createChild or DB.createNode calls are only being called by the host or for records that will be owned by the client (i.e. character sheets). You can see the checkbox template in the 3.5E or 4E rulesets for how to handle checkboxes for read-only records. (i.e. combat tracker, etc.)

Regards,
JPG

Areaus
July 30th, 2012, 23:42
I've been having problems with a handful of custom made modules (found here on the forums) for Pathfinder that work fine server side but do not load to the client, and often even when I email them and have the player place them in the modules folder, they fail to open properly. Note that they are unregistered clients, if that matters.

Thanks

Trenloe
July 31st, 2012, 00:39
I've been having problems with a handful of custom made modules (found here on the forums) for Pathfinder that work fine server side but do not load to the client, and often even when I email them and have the player place them in the modules folder, they fail to open properly. Note that they are unregistered clients, if that matters.

Thanks
Which modules are you using?

EDIT: And when you say "they fail to open properly" what do you mean?

Areaus
July 31st, 2012, 22:10
What I'm referring to is that they fail to load to the client. They see the module but it's greyed out and unaccessable.

PF-SRD-Advanced-Rules, is the name of the specific module I'm having the most problems with, though there may be others. I can see it, I can check it, I can tell it to force to the client, but they can not open it unless I email the file and have them paste it into their own modules folder.

Not sure if it has always been this way, I just got the program a week ago (loving it, by the way).

Any advice on the subject would be great.

Thanks

Trenloe
July 31st, 2012, 22:24
PF-SRD-Advanced-Rules, is the name of the specific module I'm having the most problems with, though there may be others. I can see it, I can check it, I can tell it to force to the client, but they can not open it unless I email the file and have them paste it into their own modules folder.
It sounds like this module is set to be a "client" module. The module types are described in the user guide (accessed from the library):

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/gm_library.xcp

Look in the index on the left for "Library and Modules" -> "Module Types" for details of the 3 types.

Client modules:
Can be shared by host. Module has to be installed on each client to be visible by that client. Data stored in client.xml.
There are a number of reasons why a module may be a "client" module, the two main ones are:

Copyright - only someone who purchased the module can use it. Therefore, for a player to use a module they must purchase it and install it locally.
Download time. Modules get downloaded when a player connects to the GM. So, if a module is really large, they may be distributed as client modules so that the players install them locally and don't take forever to download the initial game data and modules from the GM.