PDA

View Full Version : *** Teamspeak 3 Server *** Convention voice details

Trenloe
July 11th, 2012, 19:31
We now have our voice server for the FGCon - a commercial 100 player Teamspeak 3 server - provided by gamespeak.com.

Details

Description: 100 Player Teamspeak 3 [ts22.gamespeak.com:9284]
Hostname: ts22.gamespeak.com
Server Port: 9284

Teampseak3 client download

Please download the client from the following website:

https://www.teamspeak.com/?page=downloads

There are clients available for 32- and 64-bit Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Apple iOS device (iPhone, iPod, iPad), Android (beta client) and FreeBSD.

Once this is installated you will need to run through the setup wizard to tune your computer, headset and microphone. Please do this well before the game!

All GMs and players - please use a headset with built in mic! Please avoid using separate speakers and microphone - using these *will* result in feedback for your other gamers which will be very annoying and will slow the game down! Headsets with built-in microphones are available very cheaply, so please do yourself and your fellow gamers a favour and use one! Thanks very much.

Connecting

Click Connections -> Connect.
Enter "Server Address" as: ts22.gamespeak.com:9284
Nickname is the name you wish others to see in the game list.
Server password is blank.

Once into the server, we will have areas setup for general chat, Q&A and specific games. Please don't enter an area that is for a game you are not playing - as you will be asked to leave and if you don't you will be booted off the server and perhaps not allowed to connect again! Don't let this concern you - if you genuinely make a mistake and enter the wrong area, just appologise and leave. It will just be persistent impolite offenders that will be booted!

bford0001
July 12th, 2012, 00:27
So, which server is it?

ts22.gamespeak.com:9284

or

austs1.gamespeak.com:9284

?

I can connect to the ts22 one, not not to the austs1 server.

Trenloe
July 12th, 2012, 00:30
Sorry, it's the ts22 server - I've updated the instructions above. I was given one in Australia originally, but I moved it to the US East Coast.

bford0001
July 12th, 2012, 02:29
Just trying to help out with as little as I can around here. Total FG newb. LOL.

bennis1980
July 14th, 2012, 02:13
Do you recommend push-to-talk or voice activation detection?

bford0001
July 14th, 2012, 02:16
That's also a very good question. I'm a fan of voice activation myself, just to speed things up a bit. Clarification please?

bennis1980
July 14th, 2012, 02:20
And is it just me or is it a bit empty (should I be seeing different rooms already)?

EDIT: not as good a question - I just realised that channels can be created as needed :)

Trenloe
July 14th, 2012, 02:40
IF you have a good headset/mic and tune teamspeak properly then voice activation is the best method.

Trenloe
July 14th, 2012, 02:41
And is it just me or is it a bit empty (should I be seeing different rooms already)?

EDIT: not as good a question - I just realised that channels can be created as needed :)
Yeah, I haven't created them all yet.

JohnD
July 14th, 2012, 05:22
Is this a server that will be available longer term or just for the Con? It might be nice to have something the community can use if the cost isn't too prohibitive (I'd be willing to contribute something).

Peanut
July 14th, 2012, 08:40
Yeah, I haven't created them all yet.
Seems like the GMs can just create a room when they log in... maybe using their handle or game name... or system and time slot?
Blackfoot's Game
First Steps, Part 2
Pathfinder 13:00 GMT
Any of those really.. just so that players logging in will be able to identify which channel is the right one to join.

damned
July 14th, 2012, 09:49

i like to eat potato crisps (crunching noises), guzzle coke (slurping and burping) and scratching my stubble (from marathon fg sessions) so push to talk works best for me...

Blackfoot
July 14th, 2012, 15:45
I'll be going with voice activation myself... I find people are less willing to say things if they have to click a key first. As long as the software handles noise cancelling well it isn't a problem... it seems like teamspeak works pretty well as far as that goes.

Trenloe
July 14th, 2012, 17:53
Is this a server that will be available longer term or just for the Con? It might be nice to have something the community can use if the cost isn't too prohibitive (I'd be willing to contribute something).
I've only paid for the server for 1 month (the minimum time I could rent it for), as we have 100 user slots for the con it is a bit expensive. 10/20 slot servers are much more reasonable $4-$5 per month.

However, most GMs tend to favour one voice system over another so I'm not sure if there would be too much take up for a FG community server of one type or another. For the Pathfinder Society group we have a group Ventrillo server setup by one of the founders and I'd say that only 25% of games ran in the group use it - although it works fine and there's no specific reason not to use it. GMs just prefer what they're used to.

Mind you, if the Teamspeak server works well for the convention, perhaps there will be take up for a community server...

bford0001
July 15th, 2012, 21:39
Community Server would be awesome. I know during my sessions I'm going to be using my iPad with the TeamSpeak client on it.

Valarian
July 19th, 2012, 20:28
Just doing a final check on the TeamSpeak servers. I'm unable to create sub-channels. I can create a channel, just not a child of one already there.

phantomwhale
July 21st, 2012, 06:30
We've started getting Mumble server issues in my group, and I know a community TS server would be of great use to us. Not sure what the practicalities of that are, but just wanted to add a +1.

Trenloe
July 27th, 2012, 21:32
For those who've mentioned a community TS3 server (we could keep the one we used for the con going - it is currently available until 11th August).

Unless someone knows how to get a commercial grade server for free, I'm currently looking at the options available with the provider we used for the con - GameSpeak. A few people had a chat about it during the FGCon and it was mentioned that someone could run a non-commercial server for the community. I'm not that keen on this idea as we could have times when there are issues and the person running the server is not around so we might not be able to game!

GameSpeak have something called "Clan Pay" - where anyone can contribute to the costs of the server through a webpage specific to our TS3 server. Paypal is used and the minimum contribution is $3 US.

Costs for the server are $4.95/month for 15 users, $7.95/month for 25 users or $9.95/month for 35 users. Somehow I managed to get $18.71/month for 100 users on the server we used for the convention. We can downgrade that to a lower level (at the next billing cycle) and upgrade to a higher level if we need (immediately).

FYI - I never saw more than 22 people on the server during the convention - 4 games running and some in the chat room.

An example of what we could do is:

Get the 35 user option at $9.95 (USD) per month. This works out at $120 annually - if 40 people contribute this would be $3 per year per person. Or, 25 a 25 user server would be covered by 32 x $3 contributions for a year.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Trenloe
July 27th, 2012, 21:40
If you're interested in how the player "Clan Pay" portal for contributions would look like, here is what it looks like on the FGCon server:

EDIT: Removed link

bennis1980
July 28th, 2012, 01:49
This would be an excellent solution to keep the community going.

I hearby pledge (upon my honour) my financial support whenever it's set up.

Trenloe
July 28th, 2012, 03:05
This would be an excellent solution to keep the community going.

I hearby pledge (upon my honour) my financial support whenever it's set up.
Thanks very much Bennis - but lets just hold off contributions until we see what the consensus is. :)

lachancery
July 28th, 2012, 03:24
I'd support this too. :)

Vishera
July 28th, 2012, 04:09
yeah this would be awesome.. the chat is hardly used (maybe 8 people max) but having a dedicated TS3 Server that we all use would be a good place to find other players too, chat whatever and especially have the ability to use this with our campaigns. I'm in.

Ruien
July 28th, 2012, 04:57
The 35-user option seems sufficient and you have my pledge of $3 annually.

Trenloe
July 28th, 2012, 05:50
Dakadin has come to the rescue and setup a NFP (not for profit) licensed TeamSpeak 3 server at his work - this is limited to 32 connections, but we could register to increase this if needed (still free). We're looking at eliminating my concerns regarding this being one person's responsibility - resulting in the chance that if the main person is away and there's an issue then we can't play. It's looking good that we can do that... :)

So, we now have a free TS3 server for our own use, give it a go:

Servername: fgts.servegame.com

No port or password needed to connect.

The same rights as we had on the convention server have been applied - so, GMs, please add your game session as a sub-channel under the "Games" channel (make it semi-permanent, not temporary so it doesn't disappear if everyone leaves early) then delete it at the end of your session once everyone leaves.

bennis1980
July 28th, 2012, 08:20
Thanks Trenloe and Dakadin!!!

I will see if people would prefer using it for my upcoming game.

JohnD
July 29th, 2012, 00:52
Excellent. Thanks guys!

Griogre
July 29th, 2012, 02:32
Thanks for the server, Trenloe and Dakadin.

Willot
July 29th, 2012, 04:09
Dakadin has come to the rescue and setup a NFP (not for profit) licensed TeamSpeak 3 server at his work

Curious? What his NFP work area?

Trenloe
July 29th, 2012, 04:16
Curious? What his NFP work area?
It's not Dakadin's work area - it's the license option within TeamSpeak that is non-profit: https://sales.teamspeakusa.com/pricing.php

Willot
July 29th, 2012, 05:31
It's not Dakadin's work area - it's the license option within TeamSpeak that is non-profit: https://sales.teamspeakusa.com/pricing.php
AH! Okies IC he's using his work as a server of the nfp teamspeak licence

Blackfoot
September 15th, 2012, 21:17
GMs, please add your game session as a sub-channel under the "Games" channel (make it semi-permanent, not temporary so it doesn't disappear if everyone leaves early) then delete it at the end of your session once everyone leaves.
A little note to add to this... once you make them semi-permanent.. the way to delete them is actually to go into the room and turn it BACK to temporary. Then when you leave the room.. poof it is gone. The room will continue to recognize you as a channel admin even after you log off and log back in. If we don't delete our rooms after our games the server is going to get pretty cluttered.