PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Pre-purchase questions

robocoppa
July 11th, 2012, 07:25
Hi, I'm new here, I'm an Italian D&D player and I would like to buy this Fantasy Ground 2 but I have a few questions before proceed to the buy, I've tried to find the answers in the FAQ but I've not searched the entire forum indeed. :p so I'm going to ask here hoping someone will answer.

Thanks in advance.

1) I read that the current version of the FG is 2.9 that's means Fantasy Ground 3 is near to be released? (And then I must spend other money in a close time?)

2) We are a D&D 4e group playing on tuesday all around my kitchen table, I need to buy lite version (in addition to Full version for Gamemaster) for the players or only a Full version of FG is enough?
2a) If a lite FG for players is needed, we can use a single Lite FG for all players (with theyr PCs all saved in the same copy of FG or we must have a Lite FG for each player? (Note that we would play with a notebook for the Gamemaster and another notebook for all the players).

3) I see that FG is only in english language, there are a possibility to translate some parts? (Like Characther sheets, Monster descriptions, stats and feats, Powers, etc..)

4) Can I put a link inside FG to quickly access to external files (like url webpages, other .exe programs, pdf files, sounds files, etc... to execute them?)

5) I think I will create my adventure on my desktop computer, but I will play it on my notebook, can I transfer all the informations from my desktop to my notebook easily?

Sorry for my little english

damned
July 11th, 2012, 09:21
2.9 just came out.
2.9.1 is in progress.
i would guess 3 is at least 6 months out.
to date they have not charged for upgrades.

full or ultimate for gm.
every computer that connects to the full needs a lite or full.

pass

i dont believe so...

whilst it is against license the developers dont seem to mind you have a dev computer and a game computer with same license - they just cant talk to each other.

JohnD
July 11th, 2012, 13:24
Just buy an Ultimate and then anyone can connect to your game with the free version.

robocoppa
July 11th, 2012, 13:42
2.9 just came out.
2.9.1 is in progress.
i would guess 3 is at least 6 months out.
to date they have not charged for upgrades..

Maybe but some official news will be appreciated.

full or ultimate for gm.
every computer that connects to the full needs a lite or full.

Ok, but a single Lite is sufficient to "host" 4 Player Characters at the same time in a single notebook?

pass

Ok no problem, maybe someone will answer.

i dont believe so...

Ok, either do I, but the hope will never die.:square:

whilst it is against license the developers dont seem to mind you have a dev computer and a game computer with same license - they just cant talk to each other.

Ok, then I will unistall FG from the desktop PC when I've done and I will re-install in the notebook to play, but: how to transfer the data?

Just buy an Ultimate and then anyone can connect to your game with the free version.

Yes, but I cannot spend 150$ for the ultimate :cry:

Bye

Blahness98
July 11th, 2012, 15:30
First off, welcome to the boards.

1) I read that the current version of the FG is 2.9 that's means Fantasy Ground 3 is near to be released? (And then I must spend other money in a close time?)

I've been around since FG 1. Like damned had said, they haven't charged yet for upgrades, but that might change. ddavison would be the one to ask.

2) We are a D&D 4e group playing on tuesday all around my kitchen table, I need to buy lite version (in addition to Full version for Gamemaster) for the players or only a Full version of FG is enough?

It really depends on what you were trying to do. If you were just using a single computer to manage the encounters and display maps, you could probably get away with the Full version and just use a second monitor for a player view.

2a) If a lite FG for players is needed, we can use a single Lite FG for all players (with theyr PCs all saved in the same copy of FG or we must have a Lite FG for each player? (Note that we would play with a notebook for the Gamemaster and another notebook for all the players).

A single player could run several characters. I know I have run 3 at the same time on one machine. It does get a little confusing though if you are trying to role play each of those characters and type messages as the specific person. But once again, if you were using FG as an encounter tracker and map display and were doing the actual role playing outside of FG, it shouldn't be too complicated..

3) I see that FG is only in english language, there are a possibility to translate some parts? (Like Characther sheets, Monster descriptions, stats and feats, Powers, etc..)

I thought there were some translations floating around the forums someplace, but I can't seem to find them at the moment. ddavison might be able to tell you more.

4) Can I put a link inside FG to quickly access to external files (like url webpages, other .exe programs, pdf files, sounds files, etc... to execute them?)

That functionality is currently on the wishlist for things to be added into FG. You would have to use third party software to deliver these items.

5) I think I will create my adventure on my desktop computer, but I will play it on my notebook, can I transfer all the informations from my desktop to my notebook easily?

This is exactly what I do. My wife yells at me if I spend a lot of time at the computer in the office. She doesn't mind the laptop as much, so I can get away with it. Somewhere on the boards ddavison had said that he didn't mind a computer and laptop sharing the same license, so I have been doing that. All you would need to do is transfer your campaign from the app data directory your laptop to the app data directory on your desktop machine. That in itself is as easy and clicking and dragging.

Some groups do not need the ultimate license as they will only play with each other. Where the ultimate fails is when those players want to join a game that is not with the DM that has the license. Then they are stuck hoping the DM has an ultimate or they will end up paying for a lite license. If they aren't planning on shifting DMs, then the ultimate could work. Otherwise with the bundle deals offered with full and lite licenses, the cost is better.

I know I got my Ultimate license because I have been planning on running several one shot adventures to get people interested in FG. Serves my purpose a lot better than the full as anyone that connects to me can play. Makes it easier for the one shot DM

ddavison
July 12th, 2012, 03:52

No upgrade price is planned for the next release. Any additional costs would only be for something substantially different and better or for a completely different platform such as tablets and/or smart phones.

Two notebooks would require two licenses, not one per player. You could also have a notebook connected to a 2nd monitor and have the player version running on the one monitor and the GM version running on your notebook screen with only a single Full license.

At this time it is only in English. You could update the XML to manually change everything on the character sheet, npc sheet, etc. but unless you made it an extension, it would get switched back to English with each upgrade.

Not yet. This may be added in the future but it is not a guaranteed function at this time.

This is easy to do and an acceptable use of a single license.

robocoppa
July 26th, 2012, 08:35
Thanks for the comprehensive answers ddavision.

In this week I've tried to use the demo version of FG in order to taste his potential.

Now, I've new questions:

1) What happens to the works I've made (adventures, modules, stories, NPCs, Items, Powers) when a new update will be available? I've forced to re-write all? My works will be out-of-date? They are automatically updated? In other words, what I will must do to continue using my creations?

2) I've seen that a table tool is available, but I cannot insert a simple table (rows&columns, like a simple excel worksheet, obiouvsly without computing functions) in my story entries.
The only table-type I've been able to create was a dice related table (outside the Story categories). But if I need a simple table what I've to do?

3) I must state you've done a GREAT work with FGII :)

Thanks in advance for your attention.

Robo.

P.S. sorry again for my bad English.

p0l
July 26th, 2012, 15:49
With my group we started using FG to play while we were far. When we started getting together we kept on using.

1 Laptop for the DM
1 Laptop for the players connected to a TV screen.

It worked wonderfully.

My recommendation is that you get 1 full licence and 4 lites. This cost about 100 dollars, or 20$ each for a group of 4 players and a GM. Then everyone would have their licence and choice of bringing their laptop. And you also could play remotely any time you cant get together.

Griogre
July 26th, 2012, 18:31
Now, I've new questions:

1) What happens to the works I've made (adventures, modules, stories, NPCs, Items, Powers) when a new update will be available? I've forced to re-write all? My works will be out-of-date? They are automatically updated? In other words, what I will must do to continue using my creations?

Generally, GM input data is not effected by program updates. So you don't have to do anything.

2) I've seen that a table tool is available, but I cannot insert a simple table (rows&columns, like a simple excel worksheet, obiouvsly without computing functions) in my story entries.
The only table-type I've been able to create was a dice related table (outside the Story categories). But if I need a simple table what I've to do?

FG doesn't have support for simple user input tables. If you want to edit XML there is some simple table support. What did you want to do with your table?

robocoppa
July 29th, 2012, 16:22
FG doesn't have support for simple user input tables. If you want to edit XML there is some simple table support. What did you want to do with your table?

I've tried to replicate some usefull tables from the Player's Handbook (like weapons stats or other CD tables of abilities, ecc...) but the table tool force me to link the rows of the table to a dice result, and I cannot delete the "dice-results" column.

Thanks for the attention.

Griogre
July 29th, 2012, 23:10
Those are different tables. The "tables" in the table tool are for selecting a certain item randomly based on probabilities for a list of items. Just simple text tables are something different. There is some support for simple text tables but only if you wish to edit the XML.

robocoppa
July 29th, 2012, 23:48
Those are different tables. The "tables" in the table tool are for selecting a certain item randomly based on probabilities for a list of items. Just simple text tables are something different. There is some support for simple text tables but only if you wish to edit the XML.

You got the point!

I think the "tables" I mean IMHO could be a very usefull tool in FGII.
Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with XML, so I still hope for a future official, and more user-friendly, upgrade.

Bye.

Mgrancey
July 29th, 2012, 23:56
What do you need tables of and in which system, as simply putting together data tables isn't actually hard work, mostly just time consuming and a bit tedious.

Additionally, most rules sets that have a good amount of interest have a lot of work already done. If its 3.5/PF or Savage Worlds I can help setup a template and explain it fairly easily.

robocoppa
July 30th, 2012, 08:06
Ok, at this time I'm only in the experimentation stage.

We will play a D&D 4th edition campaign.

For example I think this weapons table (like many others):
https://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Weapon_list

It will be very usefull during a session, when someone pose the question: "how much damage I will do if I use the spear weapon?", and then with a couple of mouse-click the answer is ready, instead of search the Player's handbook in the schoolbag, look for the Equipment chapter and then localize the weapons table for the spear's damage.

Bye.

Mgrancey
July 30th, 2012, 13:21
As a point I will point out there is two ways to do what you want, 1 is to build a data table, which you create by hand; 2 is to build a list, which is self adjusting if you add new weapons into the database it references. The first would be easier, as you put in the information you want, the second would offer more usability and versatility and require more work, as it would allow for drag and drop features I believe (haven't played around much with 4e in FGII, Dr Zues would be person to ask)

Would have to experiment a bit, but for a basic library of information on weapons, here is info you would need for each weapon for 2nd version

<ammo type="number">0</ammo>
<attackdef type="string">ac</attackdef>
<attackstat type="string">strength</attackstat>
<bonus type="number">3</bonus>
<criticalbonus type="string">0</criticalbonus>
<criticaldice type="dice"></criticaldice>
<damagebonus type="number">0</damagebonus>
<damagedice type="dice">d10</damagedice>
<damagestat type="string">strength</damagestat>
<maxammo type="number">0</maxammo>
<name type="string">Warhammer</name>
<order type="number">2</order>
<properties type="string">Versatile</properties>
<rangeincrement type="number">0</rangeincrement>
<shortcut type="windowreference">
<class></class>
<recordname></recordname>
</shortcut>
<type type="number">0</type>
<group type="string"> </group>
<class type="string"> </class>
<subclass type="string"> </subclass>
<cost type="string"> </cost>

Xml wouldn't be too hard to do from there, 1 section to store all the information on weapons, a 2nd section to build links in a library module, and a 3rd section to build the lists

a table would be much simpler, and you would simply decide on which information you would want on the table (ie. Name, Weight, Prof Bonus, Cost, Type, Properties, etc) and then hard code the information into each entry.

At least as long as it works similar to 3.5/PFRPG for library modules.

This is also assuming, you can't find some kind soul that created or has this module already to share it with you.

Trenloe
July 30th, 2012, 15:56
We will play a D&D 4th edition campaign.

For example I think this weapons table (like many others):
https://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Weapon_list

It will be very usefull during a session, when someone pose the question: "how much damage I will do if I use the spear weapon?", and then with a couple of mouse-click the answer is ready, instead of search the Player's handbook in the schoolbag, look for the Equipment chapter and then localize the weapons table for the spear's damage.
Another options is to get a D&D Insider subscription for 1 month and use the 4E parser to create lots and lots of reference modules:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17022

This will give you modules you can use immediately in your 4E games and also examples to look at if you want to change/add information yourself.

robocoppa
July 30th, 2012, 16:58
Thank you guys!

I really value your efforts to help me, but I have to tell you that:

@Mgrancey: I have no idea about where and how to insert the code you've posted :( maybe you could be more specific in a step by step description of what I've to do;

@Trenloe: I have red the DrZeus guide post but I must confess I've been lost from the Parsing chapter till the end of the post... :confused:

Sorry guys I'm not so "guru" to apply your suggestions. :cry: I only wanted a simple text table... as it was easy as an HappyMeal.

Trenloe
July 30th, 2012, 17:26
@Trenloe: I have red the DrZeus guide post but I must confess I've been lost from the Parsing chapter till the end of the post... :confused:
Watch this really helpful video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lnp4FBO-ds

Mgrancey
July 30th, 2012, 20:28
Sorry, how to explain... I am going to explain this from a moderate comprehension, if there is something you don't understand, research or further questions are assumed.

FG uses XML to store data, from character sheet templates and window frame templates to characters, equipment and modules. The parser is an automated method to convert data entered into via files into XML files in the format that FG uses.

Since I have had nothing to do with 4e on FG I can't say how effective or not they work, but Dr. Zuess has high quality work that has been adapted to being core for 4e and 3.5/PFRPG for FG. So I would assume good to great.

The code I provided is the majority of code you would use to store the data on a weapon inside a particular part of the XML, as most weapons are magical there is actually more to contain the properties and powers, and I was giving a quick example.

The XML files for FG that you would want would have at least 2 and possibly 3 parts: 1 part which holds all the data you have on weapons, armor, etc.; 2 the information that will allow you and/or players to access that information as a module in the library; 3 an optional section, which could be merged with the 2nd section, which actually assembles the lists showing the weapon information you want. Finally for modules, you would have 2 other files, another XML that lets your module being ID and show up in the appropriate rulesset and an optional but very much suggested "thumbnail" to display with your module in the library.

robocoppa
August 1st, 2012, 15:54
Ok, guys, I must run up a white flag on any XML manual modification. It's completely out of my range.

Independently of the tables matters I've bought a FGII full licence just yesterday, so, now, I'm offically one of yours. :)

I saw that in the "dice-result" table tool, actually available in FG, I can add more rows even if there are no real results of the dice rolling, so I think I will use, waiting for a future official upgrade of FGII, this tables ignoring the first column.

It seems to me there would be a place (in the forum or in a separate blog) where anyone can suggest featurings for future releases of FGII, but I don't remember where it was, do you know where this place could be? As I will put in the list a "simple text table" request to the FGII staff.

Thanks to everybody for the attention and patience.

Robocoppa.

Trenloe
August 1st, 2012, 16:51
Ok, guys, I must run up a white flag on any XML manual modification. It's completely out of my range.

Independently of the tables matters I've bought a FGII full licence just yesterday, so, now, I'm offically one of yours. :)
Cool - welcome to the community!

If you're playing D&D 4E I'd really recommend spending some time to get used to the parser and creating some library modules for both player and GM use - it will make your 4E gaming experience much richer.

It seems to me there would be a place (in the forum or in a separate blog) where anyone can suggest featurings for future releases of FGII, but I don't remember where it was, do you know where this place could be? As I will put in the list a "simple text table" request to the FGII staff.
https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/