PDA

View Full Version : Failing the test

immorion
July 11th, 2012, 01:31
Whenever I test my connection,It shows failure. It recommends I reconfigure my firewall to accept forward connections on port 1802. can anyone tell me the steps to accomplish this?

someoneinatree
July 11th, 2012, 02:42
This will depend on what kind of firewall and/or router you are using.

If you are connecting to the internet via a router, you will likely need to look at your router's settings. This usually involves going to the router's network IP in your internet browser, and finding the section called "NAT Settings" or "Port Forwarding" or "Applications and Gaming"... depends on your router!

Then you'll need to set up port forwarding from port 1802 to the internal IP address of the computer you are running Fantasy Grounds from.

This guide might help: https://www.wikihow.com/Set-up-Port-Forwarding-on-a-Router

kairos
July 11th, 2012, 03:23
Whenever I test my connection,It shows failure. It recommends I reconfigure my firewall to accept forward connections on port 1802. can anyone tell me the steps to accomplish this?

What brand/model is your router?

TheMetal1
July 11th, 2012, 16:15
This thread might help out as well, it gives you some options whether your using Vista or Windows 7.

Failure Message on Test (Windows Vista) (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11075)

Moon Wizard
July 13th, 2012, 20:33
Fantasy Grounds will attempt to set up port forwarding automatically, but your router needs to have UPnP (universal plug and play) turned on. Most routers have this option in their settings screen somewhere, though a few older ones don't. If it doesn't have the UPnP option, then you will have to set up manually per the links above.

Regards,
JPG

Vishera
July 27th, 2012, 01:24
Im going to thread-jack since I am having the same problem and dont want to start another thread for the same issue..

I have UPnP enabled, I added a fwd for the internal IP at port 1802.. still I get fails and cant connect??

Trenloe
July 27th, 2012, 05:45
[QUOTE=TassadarI have UPnP enabled, I added a fwd for the internal IP at port 1802.. still I get fails and cant connect??[/QUOTE]
If you have UPnP enabled - do *not* add a manual port forward - remove this and allow UPnP to set the forwarding for you.

Also, check to see if you have more than one network card enabled on your computer (such as a wired and wireless connection or a company VPN). Disable all network connections on your computer except the main one you want to use.

Vishera
July 27th, 2012, 05:55
I figured it out, Im an idiot. I was using the wrong IP *durrr* thanks!

damned
July 27th, 2012, 09:33
reminder - you only need the port forwarding if you are HOSTING a game. no forwarding required to join a game...

Vishera
July 27th, 2012, 16:42
This I know, I do plan on hosting a campaign here in the near future.. I have enough storyline developed for people to play for a good while. Just finishing up some maps, and modules. Keep an eye out in the game calendar and the forum.

jaynecobb
August 14th, 2012, 04:11
Sorry, I am in the same boat here. We have tried setting up the firewall to allow, forwarding ports, make sure UPnP is set etc. On a netgear wnr1000v3 - yet I still get a failure on the connection test and have not been able to use FG at all.

Trenloe
August 14th, 2012, 06:13
Sorry, I am in the same boat here. We have tried setting up the firewall to allow, forwarding ports, make sure UPnP is set etc. On a netgear wnr1000v3 - yet I still get a failure on the connection test and have not been able to use FG at all.
If you are using UPnP do NOT manually setup port forwarding - UPnP does that for you. Remove any manual port forwarding you have created and just try UPnP - as I mentioned 5 posts earlier in this thread.

kairos
August 14th, 2012, 11:43
Also, determine whether or not your cable or dsl modem does any routing. It's possible you're double NAT'd (i.e., have to open up two firewalls). Check this by logging into your cable or dsl modem web interface. This site has more details: https://portforward.com/help/doublerouterportforwarding.htm

jaynecobb
August 14th, 2012, 23:10
If you are using UPnP do NOT manually setup port forwarding - UPnP does that for you. Remove any manual port forwarding you have created and just try UPnP - as I mentioned 5 posts earlier in this thread.

I have added it, removed it, and still dont get the connection test to pass.

I checked with my ISP and they dont have 1802 blocked.

The people I am trying to play with cant get it to work either.

Seems like this is much harder than it needs to be.

Trenloe
August 14th, 2012, 23:21
I have added it, removed it, and still dont get the connection test to pass.

I checked with my ISP and they dont have 1802 blocked.

The people I am trying to play with cant get it to work either.

Seems like this is much harder than it needs to be.
Try this:

Make sure you only have one network enabled on your computer - if you are using a network cable, make sure wireless is turned off. If you have a work VPN, make sure that is turned off/disabled. If you have additional network connections (such as virtual machines, Hamachi, etc.) disable them.
In your router enable UPnP
Under Port forwarding/Port triggering make sure you do not have any rule enabled for port 1802 in the portmap table. If you do, remove it.
Start Fantasy Grounds and open a campaign - so you are running and waiting for players to connect.
In your router webpages, look at the UPnP page and see if there is an entry under the UPnP Portmap table for port 1802. If there is, check all the entries - they should be Yes - TCP - 1802 - 1802 - <internal IP address of your computer currently running Fantasy Grounds>
Ensure that <internal IP address of your computer currently running Fantasy Grounds> is the actual IP address of your computer running Fantasy Grounds.

Moon Wizard
August 14th, 2012, 23:27
Unfortunately, port forwarding is part of any solution that allows peer-to-peer connections. Other virtual tabletop solutions have the same challenge.

We're not against implementing a centralized server to manage the networking and campaign data, but it would cost money to run the servers which means subscription fees of some type. Our community has stated their dislike of this option.

So, we are left with port forwarding. Here are some things to try.

* We have gathered a lot of the information in our networking FAQ (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/faq.php?faq=networking#faq_networking_2).

* Several members that have been unable to pin down exactly what is blocking the network communication have successfully used Hamachi as a virtual network for using FG.

* When checking connectivity, I suggest starting on your own machine and working outward. Knowing which level that the connectivity is failing helps tremendously in suggesting things to look at.

Check connection on same machine

Start an instance of FG.
Load a campaign (demo or regular).
Start a second instance of FG on same machine.
Join a game using "localhost" as the server name.
If the connection fails, it is usually a firewall blocking the connection (either Windows Firewall or third party).

Check connection on same network

Start an instance of FG.
Write down the Local IP of the host machine on the Load screen in the launcher.
Start a second instance of FG on a different machine on the same network.
Join a game using the Local IP address of the host machine as the server name.
If the connection fails, it is again usually a firewall blocking the connection (either Windows Firewall or third party).

Test connection option 1

Start an instance of FG.
Click on Load Campaign launcher option.
Click Test Connection button.
If Test Connection fails, it is usually a port forwarding issue.

Test connection option 2

Start an instance of FG.
Write down the External IP of the host machine on the Load screen in the launcher.
Use https://www.canyouseeme.org to check whether your External IP address and port 1802 are available.
If Test Connection fails, it is usually a port forwarding issue.

FG will attempt to use UPnP to automatically configure port forwarding for you. Make sure that UPnP is enabled on in your router settings, and that no ports are specifically forwarded.

Internet connection

Start an instance of FG.
Write down the External IP of the host machine on the Load screen in the launcher.
Start an instance of FG on a machine outside of your local network.
Join the game using the External IP address of the host machine as the host address.

Regards,
JPG