PDA

View Full Version : Skull and Shackles AP

Ozzy
July 10th, 2012, 21:12
Greetings,

I would like to run the Skull and Shackles AP and need some adventurers willing to embrace their inner pirate. The current plan is for a monthly game on Sunday evenings from 7pm to 11pm'ish. I am in the central time zone. As schedules allow it could be a bi-weekly game. The tentative start date would be the 12th of August. I have some obligations until the first week of August.

Currently looking for 4-6 players so that 1 or 2 players missing doesn't completely cancel the game. I have a ultimate license for FG as well.

Game Calender:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=833&edituser=20147

Grand Moff Vixen
July 11th, 2012, 00:12
:eek: I need to buy fantasy grounds so I can begin playing.

spacce1889
July 11th, 2012, 01:59
Im doing the Carrion Crown one now but the pirate one looks good to. in september a carbord tolkens are coming out. I wish the made one for Carrion Crown.

https://paizo.com/products/btpy8rci?Pathfinder-Adventure-Path-Skull-Shackles-Adventure-Path-Pawn-Collection

Ozzy
July 11th, 2012, 02:28
I had not seen those yet. Pre-ordered the Bestiary box set already. I guess Paizo will be getting more of my money.

Trenloe
July 11th, 2012, 04:30
Im doing the Carrion Crown one now but the pirate one looks good to. in september a carbord tolkens are coming out. I wish the made one for Carrion Crown.

https://paizo.com/products/btpy8rci?Pathfinder-Adventure-Path-Skull-Shackles-Adventure-Path-Pawn-Collection
There are also paper minis for a few of the AP's which can be easily converted for use as tokens in Fantasy Grounds:

https://paizo.com/pathfinder/pathfinderMiniatures/pathfinderPaperMinis

Unfortunately, these too don't have any for Carrion Crown. :( But there are some for Skulls and Shackles - including a parrot! :)

P.S. Sorry to hijack your thread Ozzy.

Ozzy
July 11th, 2012, 21:38
No worries. I had actually already purchased the paper minis for the first book and had been working on turning them into tokens

Blackfoot
August 17th, 2012, 22:00
What's the status on this game?

Ozzy
August 18th, 2012, 03:17
Well, since no one had posted in the thread and only one person had expressed an interest on the game calendar as of last weekend I figured it was dead. Looks like there was some interest this last week. I'm still interested in running it so, let me get through work tomorrow and I will get back with you.

Trenloe
August 18th, 2012, 03:25
I'd be interested as well - although I'm not too free for the next few Sundays but am then free and keen to do some pirating. :)

Blackfoot
August 18th, 2012, 05:55
Any restrictions on what we could play? I'm itching to play something cool from the Advanced Race Guide.

Trenloe
August 18th, 2012, 06:08
And the adventure path player's guide available here: https://paizo.com/products/btpy8rwc?Pathfinder-Adventure-Path-Skull-Shackles-Players-Guide

Only a few pages on player specific "stuff".

Blackfoot
August 18th, 2012, 17:44
I'm trying to find the hook in this one. From the player's guide it looks like a lot of ship to ship combat... is that 'cool' from a roleplay point of view? I guess once you figure out how it works it's just another type of combat...

Trenloe
August 18th, 2012, 18:54
I'm trying to find the hook in this one.
Owning your own ship and plying your pirate trade throughout the Shackles.

Blackfoot
September 4th, 2012, 22:07
Any further word on this one?

Artaron
September 24th, 2012, 05:40
Hi ! Did this game kick off in the end ?

Trenloe
September 24th, 2012, 05:42
Hi ! Did this game kick off in the end ?
No, we haven't heard anything from Ozzy for a while. :-(

Blackfoot
September 24th, 2012, 06:40
Seems like the GM poofed.

Djmaxx
September 27th, 2012, 16:22
If anyone hears from Ozzy tell him that there is still people interested in this

Ozzy
October 1st, 2012, 19:47
With apologies, I did sort of poof. Without going to far into it, I am military and had a last minute trip I had not planned on. Nothing cool or exciting though.

That being said. I have not gotten any of the time to work on it that I had anticipated.

If anyone is still interested in playing, please put a post in here. If you know generally what you would like to play put that as well. I am not that familiar with the rules beyond the core rule book but will not arbitrarily disallow things.

The games will be bi-weekly on Sunday evenings, 7pm-11pm'ish (Central). Looking for the first to be on the 14th of Oct.

Blackfoot
October 1st, 2012, 20:10
I should be able to make that work actually.

Any particular sort of characters you are looking for? Specific limits/build points/whatnot? I think I remember seeing some campaign traits listed in HL for this one...

Ozzy
October 1st, 2012, 21:14
Standard Fantasy point buy (15)

Recommend the campaign traits, at least one from the AP.

I'm not looking for any specific party make up, and am not concerned with the optimized party for all contingencies. What I do want is characters who fit the pirate motif. Ones that have a reason to be there.

Trenloe
October 1st, 2012, 22:44
I'm still interested and those times would work for me.

I may not be available for the first session though (traveling back to the US) - but will know more on that later.

Skellan
October 1st, 2012, 23:11
I'd be up for this if you have room

Blackfoot
October 2nd, 2012, 18:04
I was thinking about playing something exotic... maybe a Grippli Ranger would make a good lookout... perhaps a Catfolk Barbarian... or a Ratfolk or Goblin Alchemist might be fun... some kind of Undine or Gillman might be really cool for this game too.

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2012, 20:51
I was thinking about playing something exotic... maybe a Grippli Ranger would make a good lookout... perhaps a Catfolk Barbarian... or a Ratfolk or Goblin Alchemist might be fun... some kind of Undine or Gillman might be really cool for this game too.
Ooh yeah, hadn't thought about somethings like that... Are you sure you want to take a Catfolk character onto water?!? ;)

Skellan
October 2nd, 2012, 22:31
Oh Ratfolk....I have a thing about rats

Djmaxx
October 2nd, 2012, 23:36
Is there any room for a noob like me?

Blackfoot
October 3rd, 2012, 00:46
DJ, you should sign up on the calendar and see what shakes out.

Djmaxx
October 3rd, 2012, 00:52
ok i signed up but i must warn everyone i am new to FG2 and i only have the demo version so i can only go so far as playing with FG2 on my own yall might have to work with me till i get the hang of it

Trenloe
October 3rd, 2012, 01:00
ok i signed up but i must warn everyone i am new to FG2 and i only have the demo version so i can only go so far as playing with FG2 on my own yall might have to work with me till i get the hang of it
I'm sure that won't be a problem - but it is up to the GM. Check out some of the videos linked under the "Downloads" tab above - Keith Hersey Jnr's videos are good, bite-size intros to features of Fantasy Grounds. Run through these with Fantasy Grounds in front of you to get a hang of how to use it.

Djmaxx
October 3rd, 2012, 01:09
well i have looked at how the combat system works a little bit and the rolling system and the character sheets i only know how to do it in FG2 i do not know how to use herolabs of course idk if that is how the GM wants us to do it or what

Is there a players guide for skulls and skackles that i can read so that i can get an idea of the area and setting?

Trenloe
October 3rd, 2012, 01:27
Is there a players guide for skulls and skackles that i can read so that i can get an idea of the area and setting?
Link provided in post #11 (top of page 2).

Blackfoot
October 3rd, 2012, 02:10
What are you thinking of playing Trenloe?

Trenloe
October 3rd, 2012, 02:17
What are you thinking of playing Trenloe?
Don't know yet - was initially thinking of a swashbuckling bard or something like that. But, all that springs to mind when I think of that is Gilbert and Sullivan so I might have to give that a miss... ;-)

Blackfoot
October 3rd, 2012, 02:18
Btw.. some cats really like the water.. particularly tigers.

Djmaxx
October 3rd, 2012, 02:25
If you would like to know my toon concept is a Vishkanya Rogue maby the Swashbuckler or the Pirate that is is Ozzy allows the Ultimate Combat to be used

Ozzy
October 3rd, 2012, 18:05
@DJ Ultimate Combat is perfectly fine. No worries on the learning curve either. I am far from an expert in FG. This is my first foray on the GM side of FG.

Use of HeroLab is by no means necessary but it does make things easier.

Djmaxx
October 3rd, 2012, 18:27
Ok do we need to write a back story?

Ozzy
October 3rd, 2012, 18:57
It is not required, however it does add something to the character beyond a list of numbers. My preferences would be at least a sentence or two explaining where they are from and why they have ventured to the shackles.

Djmaxx
October 3rd, 2012, 19:28
ok ill start working on that today

How do you want us to roll up characters and what are the requirements for the characters? (Starting money, and special traits ect...)

Blackfoot
October 3rd, 2012, 21:52

I'm not looking for any specific party make up, and am not concerned with the optimized party for all contingencies. What I do want is characters who fit the pirate motif. Ones that have a reason to be there.He basically said here... although there was no mention of starting money... if you read the AP player info.. it sounds like we might be getting robbed at the outset anyway.

Ozzy
October 3rd, 2012, 22:06
Exactly. It is a well known secret that VERY early on you will be separated from your belongings. So don't get to wrapped up on all the standard adventuring gear. Make sure you get items appropriate for your class (spellbooks, etc)

Blackfoot
October 3rd, 2012, 22:09
Ozzy, are you ok with creating players using the Advanced Race Guide? Most of the supporting info is available on the PRD now...

Ozzy
October 3rd, 2012, 22:13
Totally cool with it. Let me know what you use when you are done so I can read up on it.

Trenloe
October 3rd, 2012, 22:30
Is it OK to use archetypes from the Pirates of the Inner Sea player's companion? I'm thinking either Freebooter (Ranger) or Smuggler (Rogue).

Ozzy
October 3rd, 2012, 22:32
Yeah, no problem with that at all.

Djmaxx
October 3rd, 2012, 22:36
I find this site very useful when building a character on paper or FG2 www.d20pfsrd.com/

Blackfoot
October 3rd, 2012, 22:39
Ooooo.. Freebooter looks really nice for my 'lookout' Grippli Ranger concept...

Trenloe
October 3rd, 2012, 22:44
Ooooo.. Freebooter looks really nice for my 'lookout' Grippli Ranger concept...
OK, cool - so I might look at a Smuggler (Rogue) as this will work well with the "Freebooter Bond" special ability.

I feel the need for an agile smuggler, swinging from the rigging and dropping in behind unsuspecting foes! :)

Djmaxx
October 3rd, 2012, 22:55
Exactly. It is a well known secret that VERY early on you will be separated from your belongings. So don't get to wrapped up on all the standard adventuring gear. Make sure you get items appropriate for your class (spellbooks, etc)

Ok well what about the rolling up the characters i know not every GM does it the same way is why i ask.

Djmaxx
October 3rd, 2012, 23:51
What Voice server will we be using?

Tubbeh
October 4th, 2012, 00:07
i would like to play and im probably playing dwarf something.

Djmaxx
October 4th, 2012, 00:10
(FYI) Tubbeh is a friend of mine so if there is room for him that would be great plus he has about 10 years of RPG experience. I think he would be a good guy to have in the group.

on a side note he is great for finding traps. lol
and he's also in my face to face group.

Blackfoot
October 4th, 2012, 00:18
Hrm.. I don't know.. I'm still kinda waffling between the Ratfolk Chirurgeon Alchemist and the Grippli Ranger. Excessive amounts of fire on a ship is a good thing ... right?

Blackfoot
October 4th, 2012, 00:19
Ok well what about the rolling up the characters i know not every GM does it the same way is why i ask.
He said a '15pt buy'

Djmaxx
October 4th, 2012, 00:29
ok no problem is the rules on the buy system in the core?

Blackfoot
October 4th, 2012, 00:30
You should be able to find it on the site you posted...
Here (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/ability-scores)

Trenloe
October 4th, 2012, 00:34
What Voice server will we be using?
My vote would be to use the community TeamSpeak3 server - that has been used a lot to great effect. Details here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17071

Djmaxx
October 4th, 2012, 00:55
Well it is up to the GM as last say but as you can see from my signature i have a lot of options so im good for any of those.

Djmaxx
October 4th, 2012, 01:33
hey Trenloe can you get on TS3 and help me with the piont buy thing this is the first time i have used this system

Ill be in the Pathfinder channel
i have the pdf open and still dont under stand it

Trenloe
October 4th, 2012, 01:47
hey Trenloe can you get on TS3 and help me with the piont buy thing this is the first time i have used this system

Ill be in the Pathfinder channel
i have the pdf open and still dont under stand it
Sorry, I have a work call in 5 minutes so can't make it onto TS3.

The point buy system allows you to spread your 15 points across all of your abilities. Each ability starts at 10 - which is 0 cost. As an example - if you wanted a Strength of 17, that would cost you 13 points, leaving you 2 points to spread across the other 5 abilities. You can reduce stats below 10 which give you "credit" points to apply to other statistics. These points all refer to table 1-1 on page 16 in the core rulebook.

The easiest way to do this is list the 6 abilities, their scores and the relevant points each score costs in a column. Add up the points cost column (which will be a list of -, 0 or + points) and the total at the bottom should come to 15.

For example:

Strength: 12, 2 points
Dexterity: 8, -2 points
Constitution: 14, 5 points
Intelligence: 16, 10 points
Wisdom: 10, 0 points
Charisma: 10, 0 points.

2-2+5+10+0+0 = 15. That's your 15 point buy.

Once this is done, apply your racial ability bonuses/penalties afterwards - not before you calculate the points.

Djmaxx
October 4th, 2012, 01:50
That makes since thanks a lot +1 to your rep :)

Skellan
October 4th, 2012, 02:19
I am looking at a fighter type at the moment as we don't seem to have one

Djmaxx
October 4th, 2012, 02:25
This is my character for the game i hope it is ok

Trenloe
October 4th, 2012, 02:38
That covers the rogue slot.

Now I'm thinking an Undine Sea Singer (Bard).

Page 3 of the Skulls & Shackles Player's Guide gives some good ideas regarding archetypes that will be good for this adventure path.

Trenloe
October 4th, 2012, 02:47
Looks good. Just on the actions tab, click on the magnifying glass icon next to your 2 attacks and change the "Atk Details" bonus stat from Base to Dex - this is due to your weapon finesse feat.

Skellan
October 4th, 2012, 02:49
I am dead excited about playing this now - it looks awesome

Djmaxx
October 4th, 2012, 04:04
Looks good. Just on the actions tab, click on the magnifying glass icon next to your 2 attacks and change the "Atk Details" bonus stat from Base to Dex - this is due to your weapon finesse feat.

Thanks i will change that and post a updated version

Djmaxx
October 4th, 2012, 04:19
Hey i just thought about this i cant import my toon to edit it can someone that can import please edit my toon by change the "Atk Details" bonus stat from Base to Dex
and add my con to my HP please and if you will many thanks

Trenloe
October 4th, 2012, 04:25
Hey i just thought about this i cant import my toon to edit it can someone that can import please edit my toon by change the "Atk Details" bonus stat from Base to Dex
Just remember to do it when you join the actual game.

and add my con to my HP please and if you will many thanks
It's already been added in you exported XML. You have 9 HP - 8 from the maximum of 1d8 and +1 for your CON bonus.

Djmaxx
October 4th, 2012, 04:29
i get +1 form con and +1 from Vashkanya favored class (Rogue)

Trenloe
October 4th, 2012, 04:38
i get +1 form con and +1 from Vashkanya favored class (Rogue)
The Favored Class (Rogue) option you selected in your abilities gives this bonus:

Add +1 to the rogue's CMD when resisting a grapple or reposition attempt.
Not +1 to HP. If you want the +1 to HP for favored class (this is a standard option available to all races and classes) then you will need to drop the vishkanyas rogue favored class bonus to CMD (quoted above).

Djmaxx
October 4th, 2012, 04:43
The Favored Class (Rogue) option you selected in your abilities gives this bonus:

Not +1 to HP. If you want the +1 to HP for favored class (this is a standard option available to all races and classes) then you will need to drop the vishkanyas rogue favored class bonus to CMD (quoted above).

ok yea thanks for cleaning that up :)

Trenloe
October 6th, 2012, 01:11
Here's Dharak - an Undine Bard (Sea Singer archetype).

I'll work on a background later, he's taken the "Barroom Talespinner" campaign trait:

You grew up listening to tales of adventure and piracy on the high seas and the sea chanteys of old salts in dockside dives. You learned all about what it's like to be a pirate by talking with the sailors on shore leave, and learned how to tell a tale (or perform some other pirate entertainment) yourself. You went to a tavern called the Formidably Maid in Port Peril to earn a few coins with your tales of the sea. The patrons seemed pleased with your performance and bought you a few drinks. You had just remembered a tale of an unfortunate sailor who found himself press-ganged on a pirate ship after his drink was drugged when suddenly everything went black.

Ozzy
October 7th, 2012, 13:51
Just an update, been away from my pc for the last two days. I will look over characters this afternoon. TeamSpeak is cool with me.

Skellan
October 7th, 2012, 14:37
Oh, i will sort mine out asap. Will be a cleric though.

Skellan
October 7th, 2012, 14:52
Are any of the pending characters active and wanting to join or have they been there ages?

Djmaxx
October 7th, 2012, 17:24
(FYI) Tubbeh is a friend of mine so if there is room for him that would be great plus he has about 10 years of RPG experience. I think he would be a good guy to have in the group.

Hes is thinking about playing a Dwarf Druid if Ozzy will let him play plus he is also new to the system but me and him have been practicing with it.

Skellan
October 7th, 2012, 21:25
Ok, I am torn here. I really want to play this but I imagine it will go on for a long time, and while I may be able to roleplay late at the moment, I don't know how long I would be able to do it for. I wouldn't want to start this and then have to drop. It is probably best if there is someone else who can take my spot who will definitely see it through, that I let them have it :(

Djmaxx
October 7th, 2012, 21:58
what going on wit you that you wont be able to play?

Skellan
October 7th, 2012, 22:13
Its the game time, its late sunday night start. I may not be able to play then for as long as it would take to do the campaign

Djmaxx
October 7th, 2012, 22:25
Dude were do you live? What country ?

Trenloe
October 7th, 2012, 22:33
Dude were do you live? What country ?
Skellan lives in England - it says so in his signature. ;)

Skellan
October 7th, 2012, 22:47
Yep..for my sins :p

Djmaxx
October 7th, 2012, 22:52
@Trenloe
ya know i never noticed that untill you said something lol.

@Skellan
Sorry for not being more observant.

Blackfoot
October 8th, 2012, 17:57
What do we have so far?
Undine Bard (Sea Singer)
Vishkanya Rogue

If I go with my Ratfolk Alchemist.. we'll have a decent amount of healing.. but not much brute force... the alchemist would probably cover some of the magical capacity... although the bard could do that too... and he dishes out a nice bit of damage.. but there's no front line at all... unless the rogue or bard can take a beating. The Grippli Ranger wouldn't be much better in that capacity... although he'd have some interesting skills... both my ideas kinda overlap you guys... I'm thinking I might be best off with the Catfolk Beast Totem Barbarian. ROAR! Hmmm.. The alchemist seemed really pretty cool... but the rogue will do better if he has someone to stand opposite him... and then bombs work less well.

avro5731
October 9th, 2012, 02:45
Looks liker there are 4 ppl so far and the game will be bi-weekly on Sunday evenings, 7pm-11pm'ish (Central) starting the 14th of Oct?

Toons are

Undine Bard (Sea Singer)
Vishkanya Rogue
Ratfolk Alchemist, Catfolk Beast Totem Barbarian or Grippli Ranger
maybe a Sorcerer listed on the calendar

I noted there are 9 ppl on the calendar, 4 pending / 5 active... is there still room?

Blackfoot
October 9th, 2012, 03:32
I haven't seen any discussion on the thread from the other guys.. so it's hard to know what that means. This game was posted up a good while back and the GM was called away for a while... so it's possible that some of those folks have moved on.

Tubbeh
October 9th, 2012, 04:26
Here is my character

avro5731
October 9th, 2012, 04:47
is that an Aquatic Druid Dwarf?

Djmaxx
October 9th, 2012, 05:20
Yes that is he likes Dwarves lol

Blackfoot
October 9th, 2012, 17:22
Why don't the folks who are planning on playing.. fill in the info for their dude on the calendar... that'll help with seeing what the party arrangement is going to be at a glance.

Blackfoot
October 9th, 2012, 19:54
I think I've decided to go with Blackfoot Scarletclaw..
Until'n such time as I change me mind agin Matey. En' if'n I do... ye bes' be wary. Wary indeed.

Wait.. today isn't talk like a pirate day right? Sorry.

Djmaxx
October 9th, 2012, 20:34
ha ha ha i think that is tomorrow lol

Tubbeh
October 10th, 2012, 01:50
im looking forward to this game guys hope my character is useful to the group

Ozzy
October 10th, 2012, 21:03
I have not had any contact with anyone other than the four individuals showing characters on the Calendar:

Blackfoot, Trenloe, Djmaxx, and Tubbeh

Avro5731 if you you would like a place it is yours.

I will get the characters I have loaded tonight and leave the server up tomorrow and tomorrow night while I am at work for you guys to check things over.

Per Trenloe's suggestion we will be using the PFS TeamSpeak server. So make sure you have that installed and tested. Something I have to do tonight....

avro5731
October 11th, 2012, 01:40
would love too but I have a late night game that starts 10 est so I could only play the 1st 2hrs with you guys.:pirate:

Djmaxx
October 11th, 2012, 03:32
Hey guys i took the liberty to make a room for the game on TS3 is under the Pathfinder tab (skulls and shackles)

Ozzy hope you dont mind :)

Trenloe
October 11th, 2012, 03:38
Hey guys i took the liberty to make a room for the game on TS3 is under the Pathfinder tab (skulls and shackles)

Ozzy hope you dont mind :)
The problem with that is that you are now the owner of the channel - so as the GM Ozzy has no rights to rename or close the channel, kick errant users, limit the number of players, etc. - which really should be up to the GM to control.

In our Kingmaker game the other day a completely random (drunk?) person came into our channel and started talking rubbish in some language no-one in the channel understood. We just kicked him off. We really need someone with that rights in the channel the majority of the time - which would usually be the GM.

I know you were being pro-active and helpful, but, I'd recommend Ozzy create the channel we will use on the TeamSpeak server.

Djmaxx
October 11th, 2012, 03:46
The problem with that is that you are now the owner of the channel - so as the GM Ozzy has no rights to rename or close the channel, kick errant users, limit the number of players, etc. - which really should be up to the GM to control.

In our Kingmaker game the other day a completely random (drunk?) person came into our channel and started talking rubbish in some language no-one in the channel understood. We just kicked him off. We really need someone with that rights in the channel the majority of the time - which would usually be the GM.

I know you were being pro-active and helpful, but, I'd recommend Ozzy create the channel we will use on the TeamSpeak server.

Ok well i renamed the room so Ozzy can start a room if he would like.

Trenloe
October 11th, 2012, 03:51
Ok well i renamed the room so Ozzy can start a room if he would like.
Cool - thanks! :)

Blackfoot
October 11th, 2012, 05:05
In our Kingmaker game the other day a completely random (drunk?) person came into our channel and started talking rubbish in some language no-one in the channel understood. We just kicked him off. We really need someone with that rights in the channel the majority of the time - which would usually be the GM.We had similar issues in two of our PFS games over the past week. Folks arriving randomly with strange names and spouting random baloney. Whee. Fun. In the game I was running I just limited the channel users to the number of players that were actually in the game (plus myself) and went on with business (after kicking the offender).

Blackfoot
October 11th, 2012, 18:11
I'm sorry. If you had the server up last night I was unavailable due to a previous engagement. I think my character file is pretty complete though, so I should be good to go. I'll make sure I connect long enough ahead of time to rattle out any issues that might be there at gametime.

Djmaxx
October 12th, 2012, 01:18
Hey Ozzy IDK if you didnt see mine in the post so here it is

Ozzy
October 12th, 2012, 17:32
Yup, totally missed it. Will load it up this evening.

Vestrial
October 13th, 2012, 08:22
Hey guys, I just joined on the calendar tonight. Been away from FG for a long time, looking for a game. Sundays work perfect for my schedule. Looks like you have 5 confirmed? Ozz, you have listed 4-6 players, do you have room for one more?

Ozzy
October 13th, 2012, 11:30
Vestrial, only 4 have been active and submitted characters. Welcome aboard. The character creation notes are listed earlier in the thread. 15pt buy, with standard starting gold. Buy what you want/need understanding you will be separated from it early on in the adventure. We will be using Teamspeak for voice.

I will have the server up tonight around 7pm tonight for anyone who wants to check their character/connectivity. I will also set up the chat room and test out Teamspeak.

Vestrial
October 13th, 2012, 20:41
Awesome. Reading through the AP player's guide now to get some ideas.

A few questions for you...
With the character backgrounds, do you like to have hooks for subplots to pursue, or do you prefer to primarily follow the AP?
How long, in terms of actual time and levels, do you plan on running this? (Ideally, I know things can change)
Is any 3.5 stuff (feats, prcs) allowed, or just PF?

Got a couple character ideas I'm kicking around, will decide after I finish reading the player's guide.

Ozzy
October 13th, 2012, 23:43
Hooks or subplot ideas will be fine and I will try to work them in, but this will primarily follow the AP.

As for a time period...My plan is to run it until its completion which should be 14-15th level. How long in terms of playing sessions? I really can't even venture a guess.

We will stay with PF exclusively starting out.

Server is up now and will be for the next few hours. (9pm CDT'ish). I will be roaming about and will check in from time to time.

Vestrial
October 14th, 2012, 00:01
Sounds good.

So the rogue and bard, are you guys both melee?

Seems like we could use some artillery. I'm thinking about trying an evoker.

Blackfoot
October 14th, 2012, 00:19
I'd be happy enough playing my ratfolk alchemist if someone else would rather play a up front fighter type. He's ready to go as well. Wizard gives a bit more magical versatility perhaps... but the alchemist has some healing... I'm good with either option.

Djmaxx
October 14th, 2012, 00:36
There not mush that is a up front type that would be good for the setting is there

Trenloe
October 14th, 2012, 00:37
Sounds good.

So the rogue and bard, are you guys both melee?

Seems like we could use some artillery. I'm thinking about trying an evoker.
The bard definitely isn't melee. Some arcane magic will be a help and round out the party.

Trenloe
October 14th, 2012, 00:49
There not mush that is a up front type that would be good for the setting is there
There's the Corsair fighter archetype from the Pirates of the Inner Sea companion: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/corsair

Blackfoot
October 14th, 2012, 00:51
There are lots of options for fighter types in this genre. Heroic swashbucklers and brigands... masters of the cutlass or brutes of the sea.

Djmaxx
October 14th, 2012, 00:55
ok i was just asking cause i didn't know

Djmaxx
October 14th, 2012, 22:56
Hey we are still gaming tonight right?

Just wanting to be sure so me Tubbeh can be on later.

Trenloe
October 14th, 2012, 23:03
Hey we are still gaming tonight right?

Just wanting to be sure so me Tubbeh can be on later.
I'm ready...

I'd say the golden rule for online gaming is unless you hear the game is cancelled/postponed then you turn up at the last arranged time - ideally 10-15 minutes earlier.

See you in 2 hours... :)

Ozzy
October 14th, 2012, 23:04
Yes. Trying to start at 7pm CDT. Will have server up early.

avro5731
October 15th, 2012, 00:27
is there still room - I got mixed up on the nights my 10p game is saturdays -- gm is +10gmt so he always says sundays.

not finding a server name and what class do we need?

Ozzy
October 17th, 2012, 00:44
In an effort to move along through some of the more mundane but still important aspects of shipboard life, I would like to handle the nighttime activities of the PCs here. After Clearing out the bilges your day is over. Each PC can move about separately or in small groups. The options below are available.

Sleep: Go to bed early and sleep through the night (automatically recover from fatigue)

Gamble: Play or gamble on a game of chance or pirate entertainment.

Entertain: Make one Perform check to entertain the crew.

Influence: Attempt to influence a single NPC.

Sneak: Take time exploring one area of the ship.

Steal: Attempt to open a locked door or locker.

Be forewarned, this is a pirate vessel and punishment it swift and usually fatal if you are caught stealing.

Please let me know what you would like to do either here or via PM.

Check the calendar for a link to a list of NPCs you know and can interact with. I will post tonight. I will also post a map of the ship.

Ozzy
October 17th, 2012, 01:05
After two days on board you have figured out at least names and ranks of the crew.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6140759/Wormwood%20crew.xls

And a map of the ship, if you wish to explore an area please let me know the area number. I will update the spreadsheet with the area as you explore.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6140759/The%20Wormwood.JPG

avro5731
October 17th, 2012, 02:11
PMed to get thread down.

Blackfoot
October 17th, 2012, 20:13
In an effort to move along through some of the more mundane but still important aspects of shipboard life, I would like to handle the nighttime activities of the PCs here. After Clearing out the bilges your day is over. Each PC can move about separately or in small groups. The options below are available.

Sleep: Go to bed early and sleep through the night (automatically recover from fatigue)

Gamble: Play or gamble on a game of chance or pirate entertainment.

Entertain: Make one Perform check to entertain the crew.

Influence: Attempt to influence a single NPC.

Sneak: Take time exploring one area of the ship.

Steal: Attempt to open a locked door or locker.

Be forewarned, this is a pirate vessel and punishment it swift and usually fatal if you are caught stealing.

Please let me know what you would like to do either here or via PM.

Check the calendar for a link to a list of NPCs you know and can interact with. I will post tonight. I will also post a map of the ship.This discussion might work better on the Calendar.

Ozzy
October 17th, 2012, 21:06
I'm good with doing it on the calendar page. Honestly I have never used it for anything past small notes, etc.

Blackfoot
October 17th, 2012, 21:10
Well.. there are advantages and disadvantages to using the calendar.

The calendar is private, only members of the game can read what is posted there.
The calendar does NOT send out email notifications.
You cannot edit calendar entries.
I've played in games where all the discussion about upcoming games and whatnot was done on the calendar. In the PFS games we avoid it because we want players to receive the email notifications, but those are one shot games and we really want everyone to be informed and notified. For stuff like this where everyone doesn't need to receive a message about everything.. it might be a good option.

avro5731
October 17th, 2012, 22:22
Is there a new calendar link the one from post #1 is a blank page:confused:

Blackfoot
October 17th, 2012, 22:23
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=833

Blackfoot
October 17th, 2012, 22:24
Oh right.. he has it set to 'not accepting new players' so it would show as blank for you. Doh!

Ozzy
October 17th, 2012, 22:25
Opened it back up for you Avro

avro5731
October 17th, 2012, 22:27
My heart fills with the drowning waters of reject... turning from the monitor, so as not to show weakness, our hero, silently wimps. Cast from his cohorts he is doomed to walk the dusty trails alone and lost for lack of information and acceptance. :cry:

avro5731
October 17th, 2012, 22:35
My heart fills with the drowning waters of reject... turning from the monitor, so as not to show weakness, our hero, silently wimps. Cast from his cohorts he is doomed to walk the dusty trails alone and lost for lack of information and acceptance. :cry:

But wait a new hope has arisen! From beyond his understanding a great voice booms! With joy our warrior has regained his place and standing with a pantheon of champions!:D

hakfson77
October 17th, 2012, 23:20
It its not to late to submit a character for this game I would like to join. I have a gnome Alchemist that I have been wanting to play. Let me know. I can email the character sheet

Ozzy
October 18th, 2012, 02:42
Sorry Hakfson77 we currently have 6 players, which is all I can handle at this point.

Blackfoot
October 28th, 2012, 01:55
Did everyone get signed up for the Obsidian Portal thing? Looks like there are a couple of folks missing.

Djmaxx
October 28th, 2012, 01:59
Did everyone get signed up for the Obsidian Portal thing? Looks like there are a couple of folks missing.

What is it this is the first i have heard of it

Blackfoot
October 28th, 2012, 02:02
There is a link to it on the calendar..

Djmaxx
October 28th, 2012, 02:14
There is a link to it on the calendar..

Ok i created a account now what do i do

Blackfoot
October 28th, 2012, 02:15
If you send Ozzy a message on there he should be able to add you to the game.

Djmaxx
October 28th, 2012, 02:33
If you send Ozzy a message on there he should be able to add you to the game.

Ok im on the list. So what is it for anyways?

Blackfoot
October 28th, 2012, 02:43
I think the idea was to handle some of the offline roleplaying stuff there.. I'll guess we'll have to wait and see what comes of it.
Check out the forum.

Djmaxx
October 29th, 2012, 00:35
What time are we starting tonight

Trenloe
October 29th, 2012, 00:42
What time are we starting tonight
Check the game calendar entry - it should convert it into your local timezone (if you have edited your profile to have the correct timezone).

Starts in 35 minutes...

tahl_liadon
November 2nd, 2012, 19:25
is this still picking up players?

Blackfoot
November 2nd, 2012, 19:45
Sorry Hakfson77 we currently have 6 players, which is all I can handle at this point.
Based on this... I'd say no.

tahl_liadon
November 2nd, 2012, 20:03
cheerios.

:-)

Djmaxx
November 5th, 2012, 03:16
Hey guys i'm changing internet providers but it should be changed over by game time this week..... I hope :)

Djmaxx
November 10th, 2012, 21:54
Hey guys i have to be at work at 9:30 PM (CDT -6) so if we can start at between 6:00 PM and 6:30 PM that would give me more time to play

avro5731
November 11th, 2012, 06:39
fine by me

Trenloe
November 11th, 2012, 22:42
Here's Dharak's parrot familiar - Pardue.

"Pieces of eight!"

I'll do final character modifications when I connect - shouldn't take long...

avro5731
November 25th, 2012, 23:56
on the calendar

Ozzy
Nov 25th 07:07 Going to have to cancel tonight guys. I have had some family obligations come up.

Hope all is well Ozzy; now what to do..

Trenloe
November 26th, 2012, 00:35
Sorry to hear the game isn't on today. Was really looking forward to it - a nice break from work in the middle of my Monday!

No worries though Ozzy - thanks for posting in the calendar.

Just a small request for any important updates in future - please post in this thread so that we get an email alert of your post. We don't get alerts from the game calendar and so it relies on us checking it manually.

Thanks for checking and pointing it out Avro! :)

Blackfoot
November 26th, 2012, 01:26
We'd probably get emails about new messages on the OP site as well.

Trenloe
December 3rd, 2012, 01:37
DJMaxx and Tubbeh - are you joining? We're playing now... start time was 20 minutes ago...

Djmaxx
December 4th, 2012, 12:28
hey tubbeh said he would like to play but the computer he was using is having problems so untill he can find a diffrent computer he will have to withdraw from the game. He wishes us the best with the game and wants everyone to know he enjoyed playing and hopes to play with everyone again in the future.

Blackfoot
December 4th, 2012, 13:46
What happened to you guys on Sunday? We got munched pretty hard by some ghouls.

Ozzy
December 4th, 2012, 14:30
No worries, Tubbeh. Looks like we are down to 4 now. John, Garlthik, had to withdraw as well due to a work schedule change.

With only 4 players, I am reopening the game for one more PC. With 5 in the group, missing one player should not be such a detriment to them.

Blackfoot
December 4th, 2012, 15:10
So we're down to:
Catfolk Barbarian (Beast Totem)
Undine Bard (Sea Singer)
Nagaji Fighter (Rondelero Duelist)
Vishkanya Rogue

A pretty mixed bag... we could probably use a magic user of some sort... divine or arcane.

Ozzy
December 4th, 2012, 15:15
I could not agree more Blackfoot. After the trouble with the swarm, you need some area of effect abilities for sure.

Blackfoot
December 4th, 2012, 15:33
Generally the best thing to do with a swarm is to leave them alone and get the heck away from them.

Rondor
December 4th, 2012, 20:34
Hi:
How far into the AP are you guys?

WHen is it running?

I would be happy to fill in if it fits the sked.

Thanks!

Ozzy
December 4th, 2012, 21:57
The party just made it to 3rd level and are half to two-thirds through with the first of six adventure books. We play bi-weekly on Sunday evenings beginning at 7pm CST.

Rondor
December 4th, 2012, 22:08
If you have a plug in PC ready I can play him/her or I can roll up one in Hero Lab. Just let me know the parameters and limitations. I am happy to roll up a caster too. They are lots of fun.

Blackfoot
December 4th, 2012, 22:25
Any sort of caster would be fine cool... cleric, sorcerer, oracle, wizard, druid, alchemist, witch, summoner, inquisitor... would be cool...

Ozzy
December 4th, 2012, 22:34
Rondor,

The biggest hole the party has is lack of a caster.

Here is the link to the FG calendar entry: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=833

And here is the link to the Obsidian Portal site: https://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/skulls-and-shackles-adventure-path

As far as character creation:

Third level with average hit points after 1st.

Rondor
December 4th, 2012, 22:37
Sounds cool. Let me make a PC. I DL'd the player guide and will read it.

I will create a small backstory. If you would like me to join the other PC's at the point in the adventure that you are let me know any details I should know and I can pick up the rest when we 'meet'.

Thanks. I will get my stuff together and be back :-)

Trenloe
December 4th, 2012, 22:38
@Rondor - some background info, character recommendations and campaign traits are available in the player's Guide - a free download from Paizo: https://paizo.com/products/btpy8rwc?Pathfinder-Adventure-Path-Skull-Shackles-Players-Guide

We definitely need a caster - we have a bard with a tiny bit of healing and limited casting ability, but the other PCs are melee based or sneaky... :)

Rondor
December 4th, 2012, 22:53
Do we need healing more or damage?

Blackfoot
December 4th, 2012, 23:29
A bit of either or both wouldn't hurt.

Rondor
December 4th, 2012, 23:33
You will be healed :-)

avro5731
December 4th, 2012, 23:59
Since we reopened I invited a couple of guys from my sat game that folded... Bob and Zack. Good guys.

avro5731
December 5th, 2012, 00:02
Generally the best thing to do with a swarm is to leave them alone and get the heck away from them.

you mean running in and standing in the center while hitting the ghoul wasn't right?

Koutalilium
December 5th, 2012, 00:02
Scott/Arvo has recommended me to inquire about this game.

Edit// Avro rather, seems like he uses the same letters just mixed around wherever he goes, haha! I'm Zac by the way, the one he mentioned.

Rondor
December 5th, 2012, 00:27
xml file of Salty Dana Colbane attached. Let me know if you want anything else.

I did not add weapons or armor. We can do that in game. We can adjust his belongings, gold, etc to make it appropriate for the campaign as well.

Rondor
December 5th, 2012, 00:33
here is a pdf as well...

Rondor
December 5th, 2012, 00:37
might have messed up HP's but we can fix it in game.

Blackfoot
December 5th, 2012, 00:45
Rondor... did you sign up for the Obsidian Portal site?

Rondor
December 5th, 2012, 00:46
Aye, Cap'n

Rondor... did you sign up for the Obsidian Portal site?

Rondor
December 5th, 2012, 01:02
We have more than that to fix...after all is decided I can just update the PC Sheet and files. :pirate:

might have messed up HP's but we can fix it in game.

Rondor
December 5th, 2012, 01:58
OK...started my PC on OP and will finish the details when I can get on server with the GM and get the PC all finished up.

Thanks for the opportunity and look forward to the game.

Ozzy
December 5th, 2012, 13:36
At the moment 6 is the absolute maximum number of PCs I am comfortable running. Any more than that and I am afraid the game will suffer.

Rondor responded first so he is in with the cleric. Bob was the next to contact me so he is in with a gunslinger. With apologies, I can't accept you in the game at the moment Koutalilium. I will keep you in a pending status in case we have another vacancy.

lachancery
December 6th, 2012, 14:59
Really a shame these games are hosted on Sundays (have another game then), I would have jumped on it with great enthusiasm when it was first announced! I had a nice character concept too - a tengu drunken master (monk); the look-out in the crow's nest, with a bottle of rum always handy.

Hope you guys are having as much fun as I had imagined this Adventure Path would be! :D

bobgreynolds
December 10th, 2012, 21:09
Is it alright if I add the Pistolero archetype to Killick. It should be compatible with Bucaneer.

Ozzy
December 11th, 2012, 18:54
Finally got a chance to skim it today. No issues.

avro5731
December 24th, 2012, 01:51
No One but Black and I -- are we playing next week?

Blackfoot
April 29th, 2013, 17:25
Looks like Ozzy is back and this game may be resurrected.

avro5731
April 29th, 2013, 17:56
please remember to hit the OP site for discussions https://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/skulls-and-shackles-adventure-path/campaign_forum_topics/wiki-updated

Spooner
May 10th, 2013, 03:58
Any openings?

Blackfoot
May 10th, 2013, 17:39
It sounds like everyone is still playing so at last count the game was full.

Spooner
May 10th, 2013, 17:49
-Sigh- Ok.