PDA

View Full Version : combat usage with Personalities

Drewwww
July 10th, 2012, 08:11
I have been looking over the videos and forums and I don't quite see this, so I thought I'd post it here, in hopes that someone knows the answer. Since I am new to both FG and SW, perhaps I overlooked something easy.

When using Personalities (NPCs) in combat, How do you account for an NPC's attack? What I see on the personality page is that weapons can be dragged into the "attacks" area of an NPC's combat page, but there is no icon depicting what to roll... only dice listings for the damage value. If an NPC has multiple attacks and/or weapons, I'd like to be able to see them all and determine which to use.

For PCs, you can double click the icon to the left of a weapon description and it will roll the proper dice, adjusting for lack of skill in the area. Is there such an option for NPCs also, or am I just out of luck? I would hate to have to pick the dice each time and try to remember what each NPC's fighting ability was.

Also, is there any way as GM to apply the die dolls of a PC to the Parry and/or Toughness of a targetted NPC? I mean, if a PC targets one NPC in combat, can I drag and drop the roll somewhere on the NPC to have it apply the roll (attack or damage) to only the appropriate NPC? There is something like that in the 4e ruleset, but I can't seem to figure it out in SW ruleset.

Thanks a lot for any help you can offer here.

Drewwww
July 10th, 2012, 09:04
Another question:
Is there any way to automatically adjust for wound modifiers? I hadn't seen anything, so I imagine its something you have to adjust for manually each time

Griogre
July 10th, 2012, 10:25
I have been looking over the videos and forums and I don't quite see this, so I thought I'd post it here, in hopes that someone knows the answer. Since I am new to both FG and SW, perhaps I overlooked something easy.

When using Personalities (NPCs) in combat, How do you account for an NPC's attack? What I see on the personality page is that weapons can be dragged into the "attacks" area of an NPC's combat page, but there is no icon depicting what to roll... only dice listings for the damage value. If an NPC has multiple attacks and/or weapons, I'd like to be able to see them all and determine which to use.

For PCs, you can double click the icon to the left of a weapon description and it will roll the proper dice, adjusting for lack of skill in the area. Is there such an option for NPCs also, or am I just out of luck? I would hate to have to pick the dice each time and try to remember what each NPC's fighting ability was.

On the personalities' Combat tab just double click on the die next to the combat skill, usually either Fighting, Throwing or Shooting it will roll the attack die for you and the wild die as well for wild cards. If you hit then double click on the weapon damage after clicking the +Damage die if they got a raise on their attack roll.

Also, is there any way as GM to apply the die dolls of a PC to the Parry and/or Toughness of a targetted NPC? I mean, if a PC targets one NPC in combat, can I drag and drop the roll somewhere on the NPC to have it apply the roll (attack or damage) to only the appropriate NPC? There is something like that in the 4e ruleset, but I can't seem to figure it out in SW ruleset.

Thanks a lot for any help you can offer here.

The SW ruleset doesn't have auto-resolution of attacks or damage. Most NPCs are extras and are just removed if they become more than shaken.

Griogre
July 10th, 2012, 10:30
Another question:
Is there any way to automatically adjust for wound modifiers? I hadn't seen anything, so I imagine its something you have to adjust for manually each time
For PCs, the mini sheet at the right end of the Wounds/Fatigue line has a button that puts the total mod for wounds and fatigue in the mod box for you before the roll, for NPCs, its totally manual.

Drewwww
July 10th, 2012, 11:12
OK but what do you do if and NPC picks up some thrown weapons but doesn't have the throwing skill? In that case I imagine you just roll a d4 plus wild die and subtract 2 manually? And where can I find the +Damage die for raises on attack rolls?

Tryll
July 10th, 2012, 16:14
The plus die for raises is the one in the extreme lower left next to the modifier tally window (Has a fancy +d6 graphic). You click it before throwing the damage.

Regarding unskilled use... you can always add an "unskilled" skill to each sheet which might use it. Set it to a d4, right click it (the skill die in the sheet) and set a permanent "unskilled (-2)" modifier to it.

Griogre
July 10th, 2012, 22:18
OK but what do you do if and NPC picks up some thrown weapons but doesn't have the throwing skill? In that case I imagine you just roll a d4 plus wild die and subtract 2 manually? And where can I find the +Damage die for raises on attack rolls?
Personally I find it very rare to have wild card NPCs are using untrained skills in combat, so while it could happen occasionally, they are almost always better off using a trick than doing something untrained.

Drewwww
July 10th, 2012, 23:42
Excellent points... thanks for the help guys. I think I'm ready to go now and have a good understanding of the system and how to GM a game. :D

And thanks also to Tryll - I always wondered what that fancy graphic was for!