PDA

View Full Version : Base Ruleset modifications

SpellKeeper
July 10th, 2012, 03:25
So I recently purchased the system for use with a homebrew game I'm working on, and after looking at a lot of different rulesets as a template, I decided to play with the Base Ruleset Foen created that's available on the wiki.

I started working with it, made a few changes, tested the waters a bit since I'm unfamiliar with LUA, and was pretty happy with the flexibility when I realized the character sheets don't save properly. Like, at all. I booted up the original and found the same problem.

I can make a character on the host side, but if I try to Manage Characters they simply don't save. If I edit and close the character window and reopen it, it's simply blank again.

Has anyone seen this? Is the version of the ruleset simply too old to use with this version of FG? Any help would be appreciated cause it'd be perfect otherwise! Thanks

Griogre
July 10th, 2012, 05:54
Many rulesets don't work with manage characters. Actually, I would say most of them don't. I takes a lot of work to get the manage characters part to work and many ruleset developers don't believe its an effective use of time since in the typical campaign its only used just once at the start of the campaign.

Just build any characters on the host if you plan on using pre-gens or have your players log in the first session and build them on the host then.

Valarian
July 10th, 2012, 08:43
As an aside, the Foundation Core ruleset is the latest of the "base" rulesets and supports the functionality that came in during version 2.8.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15391
https://github.com/joshuha/Fantasy-Grounds-foundations-core

As Griogre says, the Manage Characters functionality is pretty low priority for most of the community development because it's not functionality used in most games. It's a nice to have as the full version can create server characters anyway and players can create their characters online that way too.

SpellKeeper
July 14th, 2012, 06:58
Sounds good, so I'm just modifying the Foundations for now, and I'm trying to splice in the code for the card deck from Savage Worlds, since I know I'm not capable of writing my own at this point. I can make it work with limited functionality, since the cards work for initiative and by the time I'm done with them hopefully they'll fully replace dice, but I'm having some problems.

The cards I'm using are quite large, and it's messing up the script, and I'm not positive why. I've changed all of the code to the new pixel size, but no luck. It either pops up the deck hand funny, or the cards don't appear, etc.

So I tried just loading the tokens onto the desktop in general, to see how they'd work, and the problem seems to be more than I thought. When I drop them onto the table, they appear up too far or down too far, relative to where I actually placed them, and if I try to slide them to the center of the screen they just disappear usually. Which is upsetting. Are they simply too big to use on the tabletop or am I doing something wrong? They're about 250x500 right now

Moon Wizard
July 14th, 2012, 19:12
Maybe you could throw your ruleset in progress on DropBox or similar site (with the tokens) so we can try it and see what you are talking about.

Regards,
JPG