PDA

View Full Version : New, questions before buying

SpellKeeper
July 3rd, 2012, 21:46
Hey everyone, my name is Cody, and I've been looking for a quality table top system for a while. From all of my searches, this one has most piqued my interest. It seems to be the highest quality, highly customizable, and just plain accessible.

But, of course, I have some questions before I commit such a large chunk of money.

I'm running a home-brew game, inspired loosely by Dragonlance SAGA, which used a deck of custom cards, and character hands, rather than dice at all. Is this possible with Fantasy Grounds? To be able to implement the cards, add the custom images, have character hands and a deck that are shuffle-able and unique so that the same card isn't in two places at once? If this requires programming on my end, that's fine too, I just want to know it's feasible or downloadable if it's already out there.

Another thing I was wondering about is how the theme customization works? I had seen screenshots of a very nice theme up on the screenshot page (the one titled Storytelling, with the tarot cards and fantasy icons on the sidebar) that I really liked, but when I downloaded the demo the theme was more generic. Is this just because it's the demo, and the full version has access to the other theme/customizing?

Would love any answers and help you guys can give me. Will probably end up also posting info on my campaign and a search for additional players afterwards, if I end up purchasing. =)

Thanks everyone!

ddavison
July 3rd, 2012, 23:25
Hello Cody, and welcome to the forums.

Nearly anything is possible to customize with the right programming and artistic/technical talent. The latest version of Savage Worlds uses a deck of poker cards to indicate initiative in the combat tracker and it also has a mini-game of Texas Hold'em that can be played. Another forum developer put together a very cool rendition of the card game Three Dragon Ante that runs inside of FG.

I'd have to do some searches, but I believe the card handling mechanics were shared publicly on the forums some time last year. I wouldn't categorize this as an easy modification by any means though.

As for custom skins, we have several different skins that are available as well but they are always tied to a specific ruleset. While they could have theoretically been planned from the beginning to be more generic, we've seen a more organic and non-structured growth of rulesets that all work great by themselves but don't all do things exactly the same way. If you really liked a skin for one ruleset, you could probably modify it to work with another one... but it may take some work as well. That wouldn't be something we would expect the average user to undertake, but it is still very doable.

-Doug