PDA

View Full Version : Hamachi... DOH!

dr_venture
July 3rd, 2012, 17:35
I had volunteered to run an Old West game or two just to add something unusual to the mix. But I just realized (duh!) that my net connection required me to use Hamachi to connect to players. I'm curious what others think: is it worth trying to manage that extra step in connecting everyone up? I want to contribute to the Con, but I don't know how realistic it is for me to get much done in the session with that extra step. Any thoughts?

Trenloe
July 3rd, 2012, 18:16
I've never used Hamachi, so I don't know what steps are needed to get a player's connection up and running.

We have the advantage here that you know who has signed up to a game ahead of time - so you could try and PM the players and see if they can get Hamachi up and running.
Also, post in your game entry that players will need Hamachi.

Of course, this may be too much hassle for some people who might also take away an incorrect view of Fantasy Grounds - thinking every game needs Hamachi to play.

I'd say go for it - advertise your game, PM the people who sign up and see how it goes... :)

bennis1980
July 6th, 2012, 08:02
When hamachi (and by that I assuse you're referring to Logmein Hamachi) is great when you can get it working. It creates a nice virtual private network which is great for LAN games over the internet. I have encountered problems with it though in the past, as it automatically changes some of your network options (I don't know enough to know which ones) so unless players know exactly what you are doing, I don't recommend it.

It's great when you do get it set up, but for the Con I think it'll be a limiting factor for your game.

RosenMcStern
July 13th, 2012, 13:40
Hamachi can save your day if there are connection issues.

bennis1980
July 13th, 2012, 13:55
Hamachi can save your day if there are connection issues.

I agree, but for long term issues. I wouldn't suggest using it, though, for a one day event as a requirement to play.

RosenMcStern
July 13th, 2012, 15:01
Definitely. But I will be ready to use it in case someone's firewall is being naughty.

dr_venture
July 16th, 2012, 02:02
Well I'm kinda stuck using it, due to my ISP being kinda lame... but they're the only option in town, so... <shrugs>. In any case, due to my work queue becoming suddenly swamped (a good and bad thing), the over-all lack of interest in the old west genre (I've had about 6 players in the last couple months express interest and either bow out or simply vaporize without a word), the Hamachi issue, and lastly my ISP's problem with upload bandwidth which killed last Thurday's game, I'm going to have to bow out of hosting at the Con this year. I do appreciate the replies and encouragement -thanks! - and hope it goes well for everyone!