PDA

View Full Version : Current Events The IRC channel

unerwünscht
July 2nd, 2012, 05:08
This might not be the best way to bring this up, however there has been a large increase in trolling activity in the IRC channel as of late. To the point that some people are telling customers to format their computers when they come in looking for technical support. I don't know about Doug or Moon, but I would say this is VERY bad for business, and I think that it is important now more than ever to get an official Smite Works presence in the chat room, someone with the authority to ban people who are obviously out to damage the community.

XpressO
July 2nd, 2012, 13:22
EDIT: removed my comment.

unerwünscht
July 2nd, 2012, 16:18
Well, it was not my intention at all to get the IRC room shut down. I was leaning more towards getting an official community representative reappointed. Failing that, it would have been nice to get Moon or Doug to log into the chat every once in a while.

Moon Wizard
July 2nd, 2012, 20:30
Oberoten originally set up the IRC channel for the community, and hosts the channel.

If we are having problems, I think that the best option for now might be to unlink the IRC channel, given that:

* Anyone can log in to the channel to talk (i.e. no registration required)
* No one to "patrol" the channel
* Managed by community (outside of our control)

If anyone has ideas on how to cut down on the trolls with the current approach, it would be appreciated. Then, we don't have to unlink.

Thanks,
JPG

JohnD
July 2nd, 2012, 20:35
That happened to me back when I just was thinking about buying. Obviously I didn't follow the "instructions"....

Moon Wizard
July 2nd, 2012, 21:15
unerwunscht made the suggestion of making the chat channel be more "obvious" that it is an "unofficial" channel, which should help a bit. I've forwarded the suggestion to Doug.

Cheers,
JPG

drahkar
July 2nd, 2012, 23:01
I had no been aware of the issue and there are several individuals who have an Oper bit. It might not be a bad idea to clear it up so people understand that it is a Community chat site, not maintained by Smiteworks.

Also, if anyone is experiencing issues and one of the current Operators are not online, they should email me at [email protected]

Oberoten
July 3rd, 2012, 00:56
Oberoten originally set up the IRC channel for the community, and hosts the channel.

If we are having problems, I think that the best option for now might be to unlink the IRC channel, given that:

* Anyone can log in to the channel to talk (i.e. no registration required)
* No one to "patrol" the channel
* Managed by community (outside of our control)

If anyone has ideas on how to cut down on the trolls with the current approach, it would be appreciated. Then, we don't have to unlink.

Thanks,
JPG

Aaaactually, I didn't set up the chat. Drakhar did.

- Obe

bennis1980
July 29th, 2012, 09:59
Is there no way a password could be set up, and essentially lock the room down? This password could be changed periodicly and emailed to all FG licence holders (I know it creates work for smiteworks, and I know you guys are very busy. but it's just an idea.)

Oberoten
July 29th, 2012, 11:42
Ah but the channel is as much for anyone who wants to ask about the program before buying.

- Obe