PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone internet connection?

Jeebs
July 2nd, 2012, 02:34
Is it possible to use my cell phone to start a fantasy grounds server? I have no router. I have tried port forwarder app, however that only forwards inbound data, not outbound. I have tried using other open ports and adding +p #### on the shortcut. All of this to no avail. Am I out of luck?

I am an over the road truck driver and my cell phone is my internet source most of the time. Thank you to anyone who can help.

damned
July 2nd, 2012, 04:36
you only need to forward inbound data.
problem with most cell phone services is they are not setup for this type of activity - your address changes as you bounce between towers and sometimes they give you private ip addresses not public ones.
you would have to ask your telco/carrier

Jeebs
July 2nd, 2012, 21:58
Thank you. I was hoping for a different answer but that's ok. Better that I found out now than before my son and I forked out money for licenses.

No offense, I do find it kind of lame that I can run Dungeon and Dragons Online MMORPG without any problems but I cannot run this at all. I guess we will have to suffer with web based VTT. :cry:

Trenloe
July 2nd, 2012, 22:05
Thank you. I was hoping for a different answer but that's ok. Better that I found out now than before my son and I forked out money for licenses.
I'd say keep giving this a go with the demo version to see if you can get it working- but, knowing that you may occasionally change towers and need to reconnect. Presuming you're not going to be playing while you're driving, this should be kept to a minimum! ;)

What port forwarding app are you using?

No offense, I do find it kind of lame that I can run Dungeon and Dragons Online MMORPG without any problems but I cannot run this at all. I guess we will have to suffer with web based VTT. :cry:
The difference there is that D&D online has it's own servers so you connect as a client to their servers. Fantasy Grounds requires the GM to be the server - which has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Jeebs
July 2nd, 2012, 22:31
I would love for this to work. But as noted, I can change towers sitting in one spot. I have watched it happen. I can go from 4g to edge to 3g to g all in one sitting. It's too bad we cannot use fantasy grounds servers. The plusses to that could include real time lfg. But I understand. I am working with my son who is a wired network guru for the marines to get something worked out. He doesn't work with cellular connections so he has to do some research. I would have to be able to lock ip's and have open ports to use.

For now I will keep this on the back burner until I know for sure what can be done. My son will be back in the states in a few weeks. We will be able to work on it better then. Right now his sleep time is my work time. I was hoping to have it resolved before he gets here, but that is ok.

You guys have been a great help. Thank you.

Trenloe
July 2nd, 2012, 22:40
I don't know what type of phone you're using - but something like Hamachi (hosted VPN service) may work for you?

Jeebs
July 2nd, 2012, 23:41
I am using an HTC inspire. Android phone. I tried one free vpn service. Didn't seem to work out too well. I don't know exactly what I am doing though. Will continue working on it. Thanks for keeping me going on this. We REALLY want this to work. Web based stuff is o.k. but fantasy grounds has all of the features that we want.

damned
July 2nd, 2012, 23:45
yes - a vpn service -or- your son might have to be DM?

Jeebs
July 2nd, 2012, 23:45
I will get with my son on this. He has his own vpn. He might let me use it for this. But because of his security clearance with the government, I am guessing not...

Jeebs
July 2nd, 2012, 23:48
Don't all computers have to forward ports? or just the gm side? I wanted to be able to dm for my daughter, but if the only way to do this is by having him dm then I guess the decision will ultimately be up to him. He won't mind, but he likes to play as well.

damned
July 2nd, 2012, 23:51
only the gm/dm/ck needs to have inbound ports
all the client computers need to know where to go (which computer/ip and which port) to send end receive game info
the client computers use either the ip address or alias to find the server and default to port tcp:1802 unless manually specified.
the clients poll the server so the server doesnt need to know where they are.

Jeebs
July 2nd, 2012, 23:55
Makes sense. I really did know that but I wasn't really thinking. I am kinda flustered about the whole thing. Been working on getting this to work for over a week. I need to regroup. :p

Trenloe
July 3rd, 2012, 00:17
Don't all computers have to forward ports? or just the gm side? I wanted to be able to dm for my daughter, but if the only way to do this is by having him dm then I guess the decision will ultimately be up to him. He won't mind, but he likes to play as well.
Just the GM need port forwarding - it is the GM that is running a server on port 1802 and their internet router needs to forward communications on that port from the internet to the PC running Fantasy Grounds.

The players connect as clients and don't need any port forwarding as no one connects back to them, they only connect to the GM.