PDA

View Full Version : Players - finding and joining games.

Trenloe
June 29th, 2012, 16:13
You can view the Gamecalendar without signing up for a forum ID, but to be able to sign up for a game, you will need a Fantasy Grounds profile (free). In your profile please enter some key information:

Under "Edit Profile" -> "Additional Information" enter you rough location - this will give GMs an idea of your time zone.
Under "Edit Options" -> "Date & Time Options" enter your time zone - this will result in game times being adjusted to your time zone. This is very important as this convention spans the globe!
Make sure your email address is correct ("Edit Email and Password" - this will ensure you get update emails regardng the convention and if someone has sent you a personal message. Also, ensure that emails from Fantasy Grounds are not being blocked as SPAM in your email client.

Signing up for games:

Go to the Gamecalendar page (link at the top of the page on the Fantasy Grounds website.
All games should begin with _FGCon_2012 - so they should all be together at the top of the list. Note: Only games beginning with _FGCon_2012 are part of the FGCon - other games in the Gamecalendar are normal Fantasy Grounds campaigns and not part of the con. If you are confused about the time (and we all are with different timezones) wbcreighton has put this really handy spreadsheet together:
https://docs.google.com/a/shadowlodge.org/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuS4bmZlL0uUdEhLRnQyUFp3cGtkU3g5Ti1jWHZMO Gc#gid=0
Check through the games - click on the campaign name, read the game description and make sure the time is good for you, the type of Fantast Grounds license you need is OK, you understand the language the game will be ran in etc. and if you would like to register for a game click on the "Apply as player" link in the bottom right. The GM will have to approve you for full access to the game entry - extra details, messages specific to the game, etc..

If you have any questions regarding a specific game please PM the gm. Copy their name and then go to your profile ("Community" -> "Profile") ad select "Send a new message" on the left and enter the GM name from the calendar entry - send your question...

Communication note: If you join a game which is voice please make sure that you install the Teamspeak client and get it configured well before the game starts - info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=127693 Also, please get a headset with built in mic - external speakers and microphone result in feedback for the other players and makes it very hard to game properly (even if you use push-to-talk) so please make sure you have a headset with built in mic - thanks! More details on this will be provided soon in another thread.

damned
June 29th, 2012, 23:19
anyway to get the games to appear at top of list?
especially for anyone from outside current community...

Trenloe
June 29th, 2012, 23:22
Hopefully Doug will be sorting that out soon.

Dakadin
June 29th, 2012, 23:30

You can sort by Last GM Activity in the meantime. Just click the column title at the top. They should be at the top or very close to it.

damned
June 30th, 2012, 00:10
true - but new users are not going to see that...

thanks to all the FGCon committee for the work to date. I guess its over to the rest of us for the next stage!

Dakadin
June 30th, 2012, 01:30
true - but new users are not going to see that...

True. I was just thinking of it as a temporary work around until the sorting gets changed.

Trenloe
June 30th, 2012, 05:13
Doug has just made the change to the Gamecalendar - so we can see all of the FG con games at the top of the list.

As long as GMs use the naming convention correctly - reminder to GMs, please use the following format for the "campaign" name:

_FGCon_2012 <day> <time + timezone> <name>
Where:

_FGCon_2012 - this is the prefix used to identify an FG Con game and makes sure it will appear at the top of the list - please make sure you use this exactly, including the preceding underscore.
<day> is Friday, Saturday or Sunday
<time + timezone> The time the game will start
<name> The name of the game you will run.

ddavison
June 30th, 2012, 05:26
This topic has been stickied.

Trenloe
July 3rd, 2012, 04:34
We now have 11 sessions listed in the GamesCalendar, but few players signed up for any games.

If you have any questions about the FGCon as a whole please post in the forums - if you have a question specific to a game on the calendar please PM the GM direct.

lachancery
July 5th, 2012, 19:14
Doug has just made the change to the Gamecalendar - so we can see all of the FG con games at the top of the list.

I'm assuming this would break the Game Calendar, but I'll ask anyway: At the moment, someone must be registered in order to see the games in the Calendar. With the number of spam schemes there are out there, new players may be hesitant to doing a full sign-up until they've been sold on the idea. Is there any way to show the FGCON games in the calendar (or even all the games) without requiring registration?

ddavison
July 6th, 2012, 04:13
I've adjusted it so users can see the Game Calendar without registering but will be redirected to the Registration page if they attempt to join a game or create a new campaign. Let me know if you experience any problems with the latest change.

-Doug

Rowen
July 10th, 2012, 13:40
We now have 11 sessions listed in the GamesCalendar, but few players signed up for any games.

In fact one of the two games I'm signed on has only me as a player; it's one of the "down into the hole" 4e tournament games, which has another game scheduled to repeat the next day, Sunday, this time with 3 players already signed.

I don't know if we should expect positions to fill up as the games' date approach, or if would be better to resign from the Saturday game and apply for the Sunday one (I have no real preference for either) and how polite would that considered to be.

wbcreighton
July 10th, 2012, 15:56
In fact one of the two games I'm signed on has only me as a player; it's one of the "down into the hole" 4e tournament games, which has another game scheduled to repeat the next day, Sunday, this time with 3 players already signed.

Considering that both games are being run by the same GM, you could sign up for both and PM him explaining the situation. I'm sure he will understand, and won't want you to get left out in the cold.

I don't think there is any way to predict what is going to happen as we get closer to convention time.

Given the experience that GMs are having with the FG PFS games, it is best for GMs to over recruit for games given the potential drop out rate of the average player.

Blackfoot
July 10th, 2012, 22:18
Given the experience that GMs are having with the FG PFS games, it is best for GMs to over recruit for games given the potential drop out rate of the average player.That is certainly true. We often run into issues with folks not taking the proper steps before hand and showing up 'at gametime' and expecting everything to work. It is an EXCELLENT idea to do a soundcheck well before gametime to make sure that you have FG working properly and in accordance with whatever restrictions the GM might have. Essentially, some GMs are only running FULL versions so don't expect to be able to log in with an unregistered version, and DON'T expect to download Teamspeak at the gametime and have it work perfectly. Take a little time in advance to make sure these things are working properly.
GMs have a schedule to keep and nobody wants to start 45 minutes late because someone wasn't ready when they were supposed to be. I strongly recommend logging in AT LEAST 15 minutes early (some suggest 30) to ALL associated software (FG & Teamspeak) and make sure you are connected to the game properly.
EDIT: Oh.. right.. I forgot my actual point here.. lost in my tirade... We lose players at gametime who aren't setup.. or who forgot the time.. or had something suddenly come up... or whatever. It does happen and it isn't always someone's fault. It is definitely not a bad idea to sign up for a game that is 'full'. If you sign up for one mine and are 'waitlisted' I'll post something in the calendar saying so. There will be an order of acceptance if slots become available based on the order you signed up.

sirchet
July 15th, 2012, 17:58
Maybe someone can fill me in on this game, (The Proof That Binds) I thought we were to start at 9:00AM today, but I am human and can get my times mixed up.

Does anyone know if this game got moved, (other than one hour earlier) or canceled?

We haven't had much GM activity on the actual games board.

I know we only had two players confirmed, but it would be nice to know if the GM postponed it until more players could be rounded up, or whatever the case.

Heck I even went ahead and bought the full version, I hope this isn't the standard way it works.

If I don't see any response to this I'll go ahead and look for another game, just hate to bail on one I signed up for.

Dakadin
July 15th, 2012, 18:03
sirchet, I still see that game listed in the calendar with you and bennis1980 signed up.

Trenloe
July 15th, 2012, 18:24
Maybe someone can fill me in on this game, (The Proof That Binds) I thought we were to start at 9:00AM today, but I am human and can get my times mixed up.
One week too early - FGCon is running next weekend - Friday 20th to Sunday 22nd.

If you look at the calendar entry https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=828 the "Scheduled Play Times" entry should show the day and time of the game (adjusted for your timezone set in your FG profile).

Additionally, once you have signed up for a game, the Gamecalendar (link in the top of most Fantasy Grounds website pages) will show the dates and times of the next games you are signed up for in the centre "Campaigns you are playing in" box at the top of the calendar.

wbcreighton
July 15th, 2012, 19:12
to double check the time check the spreadsheet schedule:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuS4bmZlL0uUdEhLRnQyUFp3cGtkU3g5Ti1jWHZMO Gc#gid=0

sirchet
July 15th, 2012, 21:35
This is were I come back and speak with my palm covering my face.

So, I didn't get my times mixed up ... I got my WEEKS mixed up.

Thanks much for filling me in folks.

I'll just go over here and take my "old man pill" now. heh heh :ogre:

JohnD
July 15th, 2012, 21:40
This is were I come back and speak with my palm covering my face.

So, I didn't get my times mixed up ... I got my WEEKS mixed up.

Thanks much for filling me in folks.

I'll just go over here and take my "old man pill" now. heh heh :ogre:
Just remember, apparently you're supposed to call a Doctor if you get an erection lasting longer than four hours. :D

sirchet
July 16th, 2012, 00:29
A Dr?

I can think of a few other people I would rather invest that extra time with, but I digress.

Good to see you John!

JohnD
July 16th, 2012, 01:38
Yes, it always has seemed like a strange bit of instruction... looking forward to the Con though!

DwarfLord
July 22nd, 2012, 23:26
I know its last minute but can i join a game for tonight?

Dakadin
July 22nd, 2012, 23:28
Trenloe is running a PF game for FG Con. If you can play in a few hours, I think he still has room. You can find the calendar entry here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=824.

The information for FG Con players is here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com//forums/showthread.php?t=16973

The team speak information is here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com//forums/showthread.php?t=16907

DwarfLord
July 22nd, 2012, 23:33
Link is broken and i need an IP to join game.

damned
July 22nd, 2012, 23:35
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16973
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16907

Dakadin
July 22nd, 2012, 23:40
Link is broken and i need an IP to join game.

Sorry about that I fixed them.

lachancery
July 23rd, 2012, 02:10
I know its last minute but can i join a game for tonight?
I see you applied for my Rolemaster adventure. The game was this morning, unfortunately. (And it was fun, full house with 7 players, we ran out of time and will wrap the adventure in the next timeslot that works for the group.)

I have received two other late requests today though, so I'll likely schedule another demo adventure with the Rolemaster ruleset.

sirchet
July 23rd, 2012, 02:21
When are planning to wrap up?

I am brand new to rolemaster and you made it soooo painless to play, except for the horrible rolls ;)

I'm looking forward to another session with you at the helm.

Sir Bobbin
July 24th, 2012, 07:16
Hey all, I'm new here and managed to sign up just at the end of the con, without realizing it was finishing, and applied for a few games thinking they were this weekend (sirchet, you're not the only one who gets weeks wrong :p).

One of those was your rolemaster game lachancery, I've deleted myself, but if you're keen to run another demo that'd be great :) I've never played DnD before, unless you include some of the computer games based on it.