PDA

View Full Version : 4e Mod missing

Kirkdent
June 26th, 2012, 03:03
I just installed and uninstalled Fantasy Grounds several times with the WebInstaller that was online June 25 2012. OS is Windows 7 64-bit. I'm having problems accessing the 4e material.

There are no 4e mods available in the FG interface's library for 4e characters. In Windows, the only 4e based file in the Application Data Folder is the 4e-calendars.mod file. There are multiple 3.5 and PF mods in the folder (including "Basic Rules" for both), and that are accessible through the FG program.

Does anyone else experience this problem with the latest download?

EDIT: Okay, so I just went around the forum to see that people have been needing to manually add the mods for themselves for 4e. That looks to have been about a year ago that people were doing that, so I'm not sure if it's all been incorporated into the latest version of FG or not.

So, if I need to go get those mods, WHERE am I supposed to go to find them? Everything I've read is frankly so unhelpful to me, and all seems to presume I know a lot more about this than I should need to as a beginner. I just want to put my 4e character in! What am I missing?

someoneinatree
June 26th, 2012, 03:52
Unlike the third edition d20 SRD, everything published by Wizards of the Coast for 4E D&D is protected by copyright. This means that third-party applications such as Fantasy Grounds cannot include data such as powers for PCs or stats for published NPCs/monsters without violating this copyright.

There are ways around it, one is to manually type out data from your sourcebooks (which doesn't take that long if you're just making a character from scratch). The character sheet can even set power abilities for you, assuming you type the text exactly as it appears in the power in your sourcebooks.

The other option is to create library modules for yourself, either manually, or by using a little application called a parser. The parser is only useful however if you have your own DDI subscription account to access the D&D Compendium. The reason you need to have your own subscriber account is that this entitles you to access the copyrighted information.

More information on the parser can be found in the "4E" forum here on the FG2 Community pages.

I hope that answers your questions somewhat.

Kirkdent
June 26th, 2012, 04:09
Thank you for the quick reply. I'd have liked it if this info was stickied as the first post on the 4e forum, clearly describing the situation as you have done for me.

Now I shall parse some parsing software! Thanks again!