PDA

View Full Version : Wheel of Time BRP

morridinalthor
June 24th, 2012, 14:41
I am interested in starting up a BRP game in the Wheel of Time setting. If anyone has an interest in doing this with me please reply with The kinds of characters you would like to play, kinds of stories you would like to see, preferred play styles and time availability. I am available any day (except Thursdays) from 18:00-24:00 GMT.

Hillsy7
June 25th, 2012, 00:17
Hey there,

I've never played BRP before, but I am a huge Wheel of Time nut, so I'm always interested in anything in that area.....=0)

Only problem is I can only really do Tuesday evenings at the moment, the rest of the week is a lockdown for me...

Thandrim
June 25th, 2012, 02:44
Always a fan of WoT roleplay, though I've never touched BRP for anything yet. Will check some others on interest and options.

l1wolf
June 25th, 2012, 18:22
I would like to see how you are designing everything and could also be interested.

morridinalthor
June 25th, 2012, 18:37
Thats great! I have a couple of RL friends that are interested in joining as well. I am currently working on putting some extra WoT related skills and items and weaves into the BRP system. I'm also making some small mini adventures. I dont want to start on a main campaign though until I know who would be playing and what kinds of characters they would like to play and which setting they would like to play in.

l1wolf
June 25th, 2012, 20:07
Well I can't speak for everyone but I haven't played with BRP and would like to see what would need to be done to run the different character types. I was also wondering if you did a campaign would we be ta'veren or not.

morridinalthor
June 25th, 2012, 23:57
Well the BRP system is very adaptable and easy to learn and I think it would work well with the WoT setting. And about ta´veren, I had no plans of having the characters being taveren but I have no problem with the players potentially being taveren (maybe not on the same scale as rand, mat and perrin though) and it could lead to some pretty fun roleplay scenarios.

l1wolf
June 26th, 2012, 01:11
Sounds like fun, I looked over BRP a little and I was just wondering what it would take to be ... a wolfbrother ... or a gleeman .... what benefits or requirements would they have etc. How exactly do you want to do character generation with skills and such.
Also being that I am EST I think I would only be available in your time frame from about 22:00 to 24:00 so I am probably not a good choice to play. But I would still like to see what you come up with.

Hillsy7
June 26th, 2012, 01:25
Interesting....for weaves you could actually seperate out the 5 elements and have them as individual skills (most are strong in only a couple) you can find a list of known weaves easily enough on the net....Then just assign them elements they require, and each weave requires an average in skill for the elements. So for instance Arrows of Fire uses earth and fire, apparrently, so earth skill 85 and fire skill of 50 means a target of 68 - then base the base for all one power off the POW stat....Sorry I'm just thinking aloud....I'm rather excited now...=0)

Character-wise, I'm quite easy with whatever....Asha'man, warder, a member of the band of the red hand, aiel...though that'd be quite challenging, as would a whitecloak...But yeah I could probably put together a character for most of the major factions in randland. As to how those characters would effect the story, that I suppose depends on play style......

So playstyle wise, I'm probably a lot more into the big heroic stuff rather than the gritty, realistic stories. So yeah personally I'd like to see a scope for the big action set pieces, or political machinations, rather than the "You're a soldier with a crippling war wound and no money living in the mud of Lugard..."

History-wise, If you can do it I think it'd be pretty awesome if you could weave the story in and around what goes on in the books, avoiding all the major conflicts, but say having a storyline where the players are there when Logain raises the armies in Ghealdean, or scouting the blight while the 4 rulers are in Andor looking for Rand. Other than that I guess you could do what I've seen done elsewhere and build a "portal world" where you take elements of the Wot world and tweak them slightly to your ends....so the Black and White tower essentially side by side, the Band of the Red Hand are Andor's prime strike force, the Wolfbrothers have formed their own factions in Caralain Grass and have a city there.....that sort of thing....

But yeah play times I'm tuesday nights only I'm afraid.....1830GMT til late

Hope that helps

morridinalthor
June 26th, 2012, 11:58
Well to be a Gleeman you would just take the starting proffesion Gleeman or performer or bard etc which would have all of the appropriate Gleemen related skills (Perform, Sleight of hand, Knowledge etc) and roleplay being a Gleeman. For things that have actual unique powers like wolfbrother I would just give you the powers (dreamwalking, communicate with wolves, sense emotion etc) and you would have to roleplay being a weirdo with yellow eyes.

As far as the weaving goes I am actually doing almost exactly what you described. With each affinity being a skill and all of the weaves having one to five affinities (most having one or two). I think this method fits well with how weaving works in the books. And I am cool with the campaign following the epicness of the books. I ran a d20 WoT game for my friends once and had them end up at the battle at Tarwins Gap. And for characters I would allow humans and ogier from any where in the world, you would just have to provide a convincing background reason as to why you are in the westlands / out of the stedding and then roleplay it accordingly.

*edit* I see now that what I said about wolfbrother could be seen as unfair. The thing is, I wouldn't have you start as a wolfbrother. If someone were to express interest in becoming a wolfbrother I would create a story arc that results in that person becoming a wolf brother where as I would also create story arcs for the other players that result in them gaining something of value to them (A heron blade for a warrior for example).

Hillsy7
June 27th, 2012, 15:51
Sounds excellent!.....I've read through the BRP quick start guide and the system seems reasonably straightforward...Be good if we can get the numbers together...=0)

morridinalthor
June 28th, 2012, 11:24
Well it seems like you're pretty much the only one hillsy. But I will keep working on it and hopefully we will get some more people interested.

Karrth
June 28th, 2012, 17:21
I love the Wheel of time books, although I've only had a chance to read about 3 books so far.

I would be interested in trying my hand at this, although I have no real experience in the system.