PDA

View Full Version : A couple questions.

morridinalthor
June 22nd, 2012, 23:51
I have never played BRP before and I just read the rulebook and have a couple small questions.
When and how do weapons / armor / shields take damage and how much do they take?
I had another question but I can't seem to remember it at the moment...
Thanks in advance!
*edit* I remember my other question :Þ When someone is hit do they get damage reduction from both the armor and the shield? Because it seems like it would be pretty hard to damage someone wearing full plate and a heavy shield considering that a battle axe does 1d8+2+db and full plate has 8 Ap and a shield has something like 20 AP. Is this right?

peterb
June 23rd, 2012, 09:04
I have never played BRP before and I just read the rulebook and have a couple small questions.
When and how do weapons / armor / shields take damage and how much do they take?
I had another question but I can't seem to remember it at the moment...
Thanks in advance!

See the attack and defence matrix on p. 193 for a summary.

*edit* I remember my other question :Þ When someone is hit do they get damage reduction from both the armor and the shield? Because it seems like it would be pretty hard to damage someone wearing full plate and a heavy shield considering that a battle axe does 1d8+2+db and full plate has 8 Ap and a shield has something like 20 AP. Is this right?

If you successfully parry with a shield then both the shield and the armour will reduce damage. The shield is in fact the best armour you can have... But also see the matrix on p. 193.

/Peter

morridinalthor
June 23rd, 2012, 21:42
Tusen Takk!

RosenMcStern
June 24th, 2012, 13:33
See the attack and defence matrix on p. 193 for a summary.

In brief: shields or weapons are damaged if they parry a critical or special attack. The extra effect of the attack is "soaked off" by the parry, and absorbed by the shield.

Armor is never damaged unless it is hit by acid or other corrosive substances.

If you successfully parry with a shield then both the shield and the armour will reduce damage. The shield is in fact the best armour you can have... But also see the matrix on p. 193.

This is not correct. In the current, in-print version of Basic Roleplaying, when you parry with a shield all damage is prevented. The Hit Points of a shield are used only when the weapon is intentionally attacked, or takes damage because of acid, etc. Shields and armor are absolutely not the same thing in BRP.

Draeus
June 24th, 2012, 17:52
I strongly suggest that you come up with a house rule regarding armour and shield damage. I run a Greek fantasy and armour isn't as powerful as it is in most fantasy games and I use the hit location. I have armour loose an ap if the location takes a critical or special hit. Shields and weapons take damage when they parry and can be repaired with repair skill. but this is just our house rules.and seem to work so far.

remember rules are a guide line and can be changed to suit your game.