PDA

View Full Version : v2.9 Updater Issues

Moon Wizard
June 21st, 2012, 04:16
Thanks to everyone for their help. I have pushed the new updater live, and consider all issues with the updater addressed at this point. If you still see any issues, please let me know.

Just to let everyone know, we are aware of a few issues with the v2.9 updater at this time. We are working to address these issues as fast as we can. Any help you can give in providing information I ask for is appreciated.

Please use the following beta web installer link, and select Dev mode in the updater Settings.
Link to v2.9.1 web installer (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FGWebInstall.exe)

If you are still seeing issues, please enable "Debug mode" in the updater Settings, then send me the console.log file after the attempted update (either via private message or to [email protected]). Please include any error messages that pop up during the failed install.

* Windows XP
There were multiple issues reported using the updater on Windows XP. Unless noted below, these issues should be addressed by selecting Dev mode in the updater Settings to be upgraded to beta v2.9.1.

* "Windows Can not find 'UpdaterEngine.exe'..."
Happens on some Windows XP machines. Select Dev mode in the updater Settings to be upgraded to beta v2.9.1 which addresses this issue.

* Buttons clipped in updater window
This issue was only occurring on Windows XP/Vista machines running certain themes. Select Dev mode in the updater Settings to be upgraded to beta v2.9.1 which addresses this issue.

* Multiple login boxes requesting administrator credentials (Windows XP)
This was only occurring on Windows XP. Select Dev mode in the updater Settings to be upgraded to beta v2.9.1 which addresses this issue.

* Machines being downgraded from Full/Ultimate to Unregistered
Some users are getting downgraded from Full/Ultimate to Unregistered when running the updater from the FG launch screen. Select Dev mode in the updater Settings to be upgraded to beta v2.9.1 which addresses this issue. If you are still seeing this issue, please turn on the "debug mode" option in Settings, restart the updater, run an update, then send me the update.log file (from FG2 data folder).

* Files being installed in the wrong location
On some Windows XP machines, the FG files are not being installed in the right location (i.e. root drive folder). To help find this issue, you can select Dev mode in the updater Settings and be upgraded to beta v2.9.1. Then, turn on the "debug mode" option in Settings, restart the updater, run an update, then send me the update.log file (from FG2 data folder or directory where updater run).

Please send any log files to [email protected].

I'll update this thread as I find more information.

Thanks,
JPG

Myrmidion
June 21st, 2012, 07:00
I donīt know if this is the correct thread to answer. Iīve got the issue with the clipped buttons on my machine. The Webinstaller didnīt have the clipped buttons. When i check for updates though, the buttons of the updater are still clipped.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
4 GB RAM

Regards,
Myrmidion

khersheyjr
June 21st, 2012, 08:10
using the installer fix noted above for the clipped buttons works for me. Running Windows Vista Home 64 bit.

Dracon
June 21st, 2012, 10:42
The button update worked for me with cliped buttons. But still can't get the updateer to work. Just won't find the exe file. Have 1 player having same issue and another where the updater took ages and then had errors. Last player is using vista me and other player XP home.

damned
June 21st, 2012, 13:14
i also had the clipped updater window on win 7 pro x32...
did update ok with downloaded webinstaller..

Moon Wizard
June 21st, 2012, 19:57
At this time, I believe the "cannot find" message might be a permissions issue, since XP handles permissions slightly differently. Below is a link to a replacement FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe file. If someone who is having this issue can drop in their FG app directory, and tell me whether they can launch the Updates or Settings from the FG launcher; I would appreciate it.
FantasyGroundsUpdater file test (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/beta/FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe)

Thanks,
JPG

kelven
June 21st, 2012, 21:06
At this time, I believe the "cannot find" message might be a permissions issue, since XP handles permissions slightly differently. Below is a link to a replacement FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe file. If someone who is having this issue can drop in their FG app directory, and tell me whether they can launch the Updates or Settings from the FG launcher; I would appreciate it.
FantasyGroundsUpdater file test (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/beta/FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe)

Thanks,
JPG

If you add path of Fantasy grounds (c:\program files ....) to the system environment variable, fix this error, but still asking for permissions of administrator user (even you have other user with administration rights, only works with user administrator).

Regards,
kelven

Moon Wizard
June 21st, 2012, 21:51
Yes, that is correct. The updater requires administrator access in order to update files in the "Program Files" directory.

Did the new file help without adding FG to the system path?

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
June 22nd, 2012, 01:37
Just rebuilt another attempt at the XP updater file.

If someone can download the new FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe, copy over the one in their FG app directory, and run the updater from the FG launch screen; please let me know if it runs successfully. It will backrev to the current one on the patch system, if it's successful.

Thanks,
JPG

Dracon
June 22nd, 2012, 05:32
Is there a link to this new updater, just tried the one form yesterday. That seemed to work from the Fantasy ground window. But some up once updates done come up with window to set user. Set it to the defaults not sure if things have worked or not. Then got error message once that window closed to say my product key was invalid.

Blue Haven
June 22nd, 2012, 09:34
Ok so the new web installer fixed the cliped buttons and the new FGupdater seems to work fine too :) well at least it no longer shows the error (cannot find...) but now i got my FG unregisted wtf??? and even if the serial is there and correct it keeps saying that the serial is invalid...just like Dracon said...soo now what...? oh and i got the set user too and after that i get unregister...
thanks

Moon Wizard
June 22nd, 2012, 19:06
There is a separate issue that I've been working with another user to work through, where FG will downgrade itself to Unregistered when the updater is run from within FG. If you run the updater directly or use the web installer, it works correctly.

That's the next item to figure out. I only had one user report this issue, but the fixes apparently removed the roadblock for others to see it.

I will provide more information shortly.

Many thanks to all the XP users who are working through this with me. It's getting harder to support XP as time moves forward, because we are a small company without a testing lab to test all the possible versions.

Thanks for your patience,
JPG

kelven
June 22nd, 2012, 19:13
for me is the same, still asking for administrator password (even i was an local administrator ) and i see the window of updater cutted (i donīt see the buttons prpoperly, snapshot: https://www.box.com/s/1873ad6e0cd93708b4f0 )

Moon Wizard
June 22nd, 2012, 20:44
Kelven,

The updater will always require administrator permission to update the files in the Program Files directory. This requirement is enforced by Windows.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
June 22nd, 2012, 20:45
Just updated the initial post with new information.

I have uploaded a new updater app to the Dev mode slot of the updater/installer which addresses the clipped buttons and "cannot find" issues. Just select Dev mode from the Settings section of the updater, then Update.

There is still an outstanding issue of some people being downgraded when running the updater from the FG launch screen. The workaround is to run the updater separately, or use the web installer from the Downloads page to update.

If you are seeing this issue and can help, please see the directions in the initial post.

Regards,
JPG

kelven
June 22nd, 2012, 21:29
Kelven,

The updater will always require administrator permission to update the files in the Program Files directory. This requirement is enforced by Windows.

Regards,
JPG

I know that Windows XP need administration rights to write in Program files, but i'm using a user with administration rol. It is the same that use user administrator.

I have problems in linux too, i'm using ubuntu 10.04 with wine 1.4, and web installer don't run. Is this installer compatible with Ubuntu and wine?

Blue Haven
June 22nd, 2012, 21:40
Ok so i will try to explain what happens to me...i had to install FG with the older installer and then update to the new one because, if i use the webinstaller it simple does'nt work and with this i mean that it creates the application data folder with all the good stuff but the program data folder, he just freaks out and put every file on root folder...and of course the program does not work...after this i got the wonderful and annoying problem with the cliped menu and the cannot find updater (when it is there!!!)...i used the new file provided by Moon and then everthing went fine but after you do anything (change settings or run a update check) you get a unregisted version of FG...if you try to activate the serial you enter an endless loop saying that the serial is not valid...but the most strange thing is that if you exit FG and enter it again...voila everthing is fine again lolol...so the problem is only when you use the update or settings...refering invalid serial of course...the other problems i have no clue...
Hope that this helps in anything... :)

Blue Haven
June 22nd, 2012, 22:00
Update...sorry for double post but i was doing a lot of things at the same time...i used the new version (Dev option check) and everthing is ok :) the only problem is the invalid serial problem...that like i said only happens when you update or check settings...after you exit and enter again FG everthing is working fine so i guess its a minor bug :)

Moon Wizard
June 22nd, 2012, 23:04
Blue Haven, thanks for the update. Still working on downgrade issue.

Kelven, I haven't heard any other reports of admin login when using admin user yet. The updater program simply sets a flag for Windows that it needs admin rights to run. I'll watch for another occurrence, but it's something completely controlled by Windows as far as I am aware.

Thanks,
JPG

Blue Haven
June 23rd, 2012, 00:21
Errr...i don´t know if this is what you're talking about but i also have that thing of user account permitions thing every time i use settings or update in the end it always ask for user permition...i don't know if this is the issue you're talking about with kelven...
Thank you too friend it is always a pleasure to help :)

Trenloe
June 23rd, 2012, 01:23
Errr...i donīt know if this is what you're talking about but i also have that thing of user account permitions thing every time i use settings or update in the end it always ask for user permition...i don't know if this is the issue you're talking about with kelven...
Moon_Wizard - might this be to do with the fact that Kelven and (I presume) Blue Haven are running on non-English Windows installation and so the Administrator User and the Administrator user group isn't called that, it is the Spanish and Portuguese equivalent? I know this should be automatically handled by Windows, but I've seen this type of thing in my experience in the dim and distant past through work.

Willot
June 23rd, 2012, 01:37
I know this should be automatically handled by Windows

ahhhh... Windows....... Lol;)

Andrepartthree
June 23rd, 2012, 02:31
So stupid me, I tried to run the latest FG update with my antivirus/firewall (AVG) running.. when I ran the update I got a " The fantasy grounds updater program has been updated. It will be restarted to make sure that the main Fantasy Grounds application and ruleset files are up to date. " message.. then a black box appeared with a blue bar at the top of the screen that read " black box c: program files (x86)\FantasyGroundsII\FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe " .. then another box popped up saying " Error : Fantasy Grounds Updater : Updater Engine Move Failed " (Fantasy Grounds program doesn't run basically).

I disabled AVG completely .. I'm loathe to uninstall then reinstall FG since I'm afraid of losing all my campaign data (story and monster entries and so forth that the GM normally puts in there). So I tried just reinstalling FG without uninstalling, using the latest FG installation files available and checked the "Dev" option.. this time I got the little red bar going with the big list of all the files it's updating scrolling by.. then I got the " The fantasy grounds updater program has been updated " thing mentioned above followed by the black box mentioned above followed by the " Error : Fantasy Grounds Updater : Updater Engine Move Failed " error again.

On page one reply number six of this thread I saw the " At this time, I believe the "cannot find" message might be a permissions issue, since XP handles permissions slightly differently. Below is a link to a replacement FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe file " post and downloaded then tried installing the file that is linked there, still no luck.

I'm running windows xp 64 bit (professional) edition and I'm logged in as an adminstrator.. not too sure what else to do :( .. anyone else having this problem?

Trenloe
June 23rd, 2012, 02:44
I'm running windows xp 64 bit (professional) edition and I'm logged in as an adminstrator.. not too sure what else to do :( .. anyone else having this problem?
With Windows Explorer go to \Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds II and run "UpdaterEngine.exe" directly. If it isn't there, see if it has been quarantined by your AVG and bring it out of quarantine and run it directly.

Moon Wizard
June 23rd, 2012, 08:29
Just updated the Dev mode updater again. I added some fixes to catch some Windows XP items.

* HandleFile error while writing UpdaterEngine.exe (related to XP 8.3 naming)
* Automatic downgrading (related to XP handling of registry functions)

If you had any updater issues, please try the Dev build. As of the moment, I think this should address everything I know about, except maybe Blue Haven's issue. However, since I don't have an XP machine, I need to make sure the fixes are working, and there are no other issues.

If you do have issues, please select the new "debug mode" option in the Settings, restart the updater, then send me the update.log file after attempting to update.

Blue Haven, I'm especially interested to see the log from your update, since it might give me insight into what is happening with the file paths.

Thanks,
JPG

Blue Haven
June 23rd, 2012, 08:50
Sorry Moon but what error are you talking about...?
Other thing you might want to check the Webinstaller because like i said it didn't work for me...i had to install with the old file...

Edit: Update...i used the new update and nothing changed for me friend...everthing is working but i still get the unregisted version every time i check for updates or click settings and of course it always ask which user will use the program in the end of every move you make...even if you don't do a thing...like i just click settings and then i close and exit the updater and it asks for it...strange...
Here goes the log ;) hope it helps in anything...

Edit 2: Sorry i only saw the picture that Kelven posted, today, and the user permission i get is just like that :) just to clear that :) thanks ;)

Moon Wizard
June 23rd, 2012, 12:09
Blue Haven,

Can you send a copy of your Lite serial number to [email protected]? I need to check to make sure it is in our database.

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
June 23rd, 2012, 12:20
Minor change to try and remove extra admin login requests for the updater in Dev mode. Please let me know if it works.

Thanks,
JPG

Blue Haven
June 23rd, 2012, 15:29
Lol it do not work for me :) still the same thing...nothing changed...i forgot to tell you that now i get a cannot move updater alert (but everthing works fine) and then the same thing...it asks for user and after that i get a unregisted version but after i exit and enter, Lite again :) and everthing works :)

Andrepartthree
June 23rd, 2012, 18:03
With Windows Explorer go to \Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds II and run "UpdaterEngine.exe" directly. If it isn't there, see if it has been quarantined by your AVG and bring it out of quarantine and run it directly.

Hey Trenloe thanks so much for your reply :) .. you got FG up and running for me along with MoonWizard so thanks to you both :) .. however I thought I should post my findings here in case anyone runs into a similar problem ...

I did go into the folder Trenloe specified (and yep still have my antivirus/firewall turned off) ... I saw a " UpdaterEngine.exe.new" file but not one that just said " UpdaterEngine.exe" (don't know if that makes a difference?).. I tried double clicking on that with no luck same error message.. then I checked my AVG firewall/antivirus to see if the UpdaterEngine.exe file shows up in a quarantined list of files or as AVG likes to call it the "Virus Vault" .. it did not ..

Then I tried copying and pasting both the file Moon Wizard made available for download on page one reply six of this thread and the most recent Fantasy Grounds installation files from the "downloads" and "installer" part of this website (I think they show up as " fantasygroundsupdater.exe" and "FGWebInstall.exe" when you download them) into the folder Trenloe specified... one of them (forgive me I can't remember which one) prompted me to do something that hadn't happened before - it asked me to log into the proper user account.. turns out that while the account it was defaulting to before also had administrator privileges it wanted a different account, I think the "system administrator" account mentioned earlier in this thread? So logged into that account, ran both files from within the folder Trenloe specified (and yep still in "Dev" mode... for anyone who's wondering click on "settings" to get into Dev mode THEN click on "update") .. to my dismay it still said "updaterengine.exe.new" file and when I clicked on it same old error message.

Then something changed when I wasn't looking :p maybe the folder just needed time to "refresh".. the " "updaterengine.exe.new" had changed it's name to simply " updaterengine.exe" , no "new"... I clicked twice on that and it fixed Fantasy Grounds so now it's running again :) .. thanks guys ! :)

Not sure if my particular headache has to do with the fact that I'm running Windows XP Professional 64 bit versus plain old regular say "Windows XP Home Edition" or "Windows XP 32 bit" for example.. but maybe this will help anyone running Windows XP Pro 64 bit ...

Blue Haven
June 23rd, 2012, 18:35
Moon did you saw my message? :) i sent you a private one ;)
Thanks

Pesty
June 24th, 2012, 07:21
Hi,
firstly, well done - this is a great piece of software. I love it! I also understand that there will always be problems upgrading (if Blizzard can't get it right every time with all of their resources...), and trying to make something that runs flawlessly on all platforms must be near on impossible.
That said, I turned on my FG II and clicked the Upgrade Available button to get ready for my game tonight...
: (
I get a black window showing the machine is trying to run the updater but with it comes an error message saying "Windows cannot find 'UpdateEngine.exe'" followed by another error window saying "FantasyGroundUpdater: unable to start UpdaterEngine.exe"
I DLed a new setup file and installed it today. I have tried turning off my firewall and made sure Nortons wasn't quarantining anything it shouldn't. I can see the FantasyGroundsUpdater and the UpdaterEngine files, and have tried running them directly but get the same result whatever I try. I am running XP Pro.
Did I mention game tonight? Help!

Moon Wizard
June 24th, 2012, 10:02
Pesty,

Can you run the web installer from the first post in this thread? (just added)
Make sure that you set the Mode to Dev in the Settings before updating.

Please let me know whether it works or not, and any error messages that you get.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
June 24th, 2012, 10:24
Updated installer with a couple more XP cleanup items. Make sure to use Dev mode.

JPG

Blue Haven
June 24th, 2012, 10:46
Yes friend that's what i'm talking about a long time before (the second question in your private message)...after i exit and get back to the program everthing is ok :)
About the new thing i talked about is a error saying "updaterengine failed to move" :(
and with this new update you made i get a error in the end saying cannot restart fantasy grounds and closes...but the problem with the unregistered version is gone ;) now what? :)
Thanks

Pesty
June 24th, 2012, 11:26
Thanks ! All looks well now. Good work!:D

Made my game as well. Thanks again. Updates are awesome.

kelven
June 24th, 2012, 13:48
For me is working properly (Trenloe is right, my Windows XP is in spanish, I thought that was obvious because all the screenshots I linked was in Spanish).

Regards,
Kelven.

Edit: Webinstaller works properly, when I run upgrade form FGII i have an error:
Fantasy grounds updater: unable to restart FantasyGrounds.exe.
Then FG close. I can open FG again and it works.

I put dev and debug mode, I can send you by e-mail (where i can send it?).
I donīt put a link here because the log have my FG serial.

Blue Haven
June 24th, 2012, 21:01
Friend just edit the file and erase your serial :) i did the same thing ;) and i get the same thing as you but everthing works fine right?? only that thing after you update or check settings saying cannot restart the program...

Moon Wizard
June 25th, 2012, 02:15
Kelven/Blue Haven, is the only issue remaining the error message (Unable to restart FantasyGrounds.exe) after updating?

Also, just added an update to the Dev mode to help people getting downgraded as well as to resolve the unable to restart FG message.

Thanks,
JPG

kelven
June 25th, 2012, 10:34
I will test it this night.

Thanks,
kelven.

Blue Haven
June 25th, 2012, 12:02
Yes Moon thats the only issue now :)

Edit: IT WORKS!!! NO MORE ERRORS!!!! Yupppiiii!!! :D eh eh thank you so much...now everthing is working fine :)

Moon Wizard
June 25th, 2012, 18:26
Awesome. As soon as I hear back from Kelven, if he looks good, I plan to push the new updater to live.

Thanks again for the help.

JPG

kelven
June 25th, 2012, 22:10
For me is working properly .. even I can see all buttons in the window of updater. :D

Thanks a lot.
Kelven.

Moon Wizard
June 26th, 2012, 00:59
Thanks to everyone for their help. I have pushed the new updater live, and consider all issues with the updater addressed at this point. If you still see any issues, please let me know.

Regards,
JPG

Silveras
June 26th, 2012, 01:22
I now get an error "HandleFile: Unable to save file (UpdaterEngine.exe)" on Windows 7 64-bit.

Zeus
June 26th, 2012, 08:31
Tested the latest updater on Mac OS X using Wine 1.4.1. All working well.
With the new updater, the updater buttons are no longer cut off and the dialog bordered with 5 pixels of whitespace.

No errors reported. Cycled through update process twice with no issues.

cutlass
June 26th, 2012, 19:58
I have two UK players who are also recieving "HandleFile: Unable to save file (UpdaterEngine.exe)" They cannot update & using the demo version.

One of them has uninstalled the program and tried the webinstaller but is unable to find it ATM...

Is our game screwed tonight?

Moon Wizard
June 26th, 2012, 20:10
The web installer is available right on the Downloads page.

If you are getting the unable to save file (UpdaterEngine.exe) error message, please use the web installer as this should bypass the issue. (i.e. the updater is not trying to overwrite itself).

Also, if someone is having the issue, could you please turn the Debug mode on in the updater settings, restart the updater, and send me the update.log file from the FG data directory? (Send to [email protected])

I have tried on both Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 8 64-bit locally, so I need to figure out what is different for you guys.

If you had updated to v2.9.0 previously, the update yesterday only updates the updater itself not the main application or rulesets.

Regards,
JPG

Griogre
June 26th, 2012, 20:25
I now get an error "HandleFile: Unable to save file (UpdaterEngine.exe)" on Windows 7 64-bit.
Same issue. I have Win7 Pro 64Bit, the HandleFile error is in a message box and the updater says Error during update check. I already had the 2.9 update and was running the updater by pressing the Update button in the launcher.

Edit: Added I have Win7 Pro 64.

Moon Wizard
June 26th, 2012, 20:54
Just placed a new updater in the Dev mode slot to see if it addresses the unable to save issue for those recently seeing the issues on Windows 7.

Please get me an update.log using the Debug mode flag in Settings, if you still see the issue.

Regards,
JPG

Shimrath
June 26th, 2012, 21:22
Greetings!

I am trying to install FG on my new computer, and having a little difficulty. After i get all of the Settings squared away, the Updater launches and then i get an error message that says: "HandleFile: Unable to save file (FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe)". I have tried all three Modes, with the same result each time.

I will happily send you any information needed to remedy the problem, but i might need some direction as to how to send an update.log. (As you probably have guessed, i'm not very good at this sort of thing).

Moon Wizard
June 26th, 2012, 21:31
Shimrath,

Just send an email to [email protected], and attach the update.log file. There's usually an attach button in your mail client or website to attach files.

The update.log file can be found either:
* In the same folder where you saved the updater
* In the folder specified in your data directory Settings in the updater.

Thanks,
JPG

Griogre
June 26th, 2012, 21:31
Sent you an e-mail with the log and a question.

Shimrath
June 26th, 2012, 21:46
Well, it seems that all i needed to do was "Run as Administrator" rather than simply double clicking on the FGWebInstall file. It seems to be installing just fine now.

Sorry for the boobery.

cutlass
June 26th, 2012, 22:20
Looks like it works, thanks

Moon Wizard
June 26th, 2012, 22:39
No problems, that is exactly the issue. I was trying to get rid of the admin login for users on XP, and went one step too far.

For Windows XP users, the login prompts for the updater are going to be around for awhile, as code to determine exact access rights is very complex especially across different windows versions.

Thanks,
JPG

Silveras
June 27th, 2012, 01:08
I still get the error.
I don't see a debug mode, just "Live", "Test", and "Dev"

Dakadin
June 27th, 2012, 01:24
Debug mode is a check box that is about the middle of the dialog box.

Silveras
June 27th, 2012, 02:57
Debug mode is a check box that is about the middle of the dialog box.

Thanks. Email sent.

Moon Wizard
June 27th, 2012, 03:38
The web installer link in the Downloads section has been updated with a version of the installer that correctly requests admin rights before running. If you are getting the HandleFile error, please run this installer.

Thanks,
JPG

Dracon
June 28th, 2012, 10:31
ok updater seems to be working but, I using xp and my brother using Win7 GM versions of FG can't host game and have ppl connect. We get failed connection running tests. We have one guy with lite FG test fine but can't connect to either of your games. Tried all fire walls down, tested port 1802 is open and listening nothing works. Any ideas???

Blue Haven
June 29th, 2012, 13:37
Sorry to ask this but did you guys host with IP or use the Alias?? because some time ago i start a game with some friends to show them the product and even if you have the check on the alias it won't allow ppl to connect...i found out that you have to check and uncheck the alias in every single session so it would work...
Other thing is you can have the port 1802 open in your pc but in the router you must foward it so it allow others to connect to you ;) it happens to me from time to time because i have a private network in home and the IP on the router change :)
Hope i helped in something :)

Moon Wizard
June 30th, 2012, 00:58
Check out the Networking FAQ (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/faq.php?faq=fantasy_grounds_faq#faq_networking), if you haven't already.

A failed connection test means that our web server can not connect to your internal machine, which could be caused at a number of different layers (OS, router, modem, ISP). Try working through the FAQ to isolate the layer that is failing.

Thanks,
JPG

Grey Hunter
July 7th, 2012, 07:29
Just a quick on, I just had the "could not move updater" thing, but I sorted it by moving the Fg install out of the Program files directory.

Program files on the modern windows is heavily protected, and a stupid place to install anything. OI'm not sure why I put it there in the first place!

JohnD
July 7th, 2012, 15:51
Program files on the modern windows is heavily protected, and a stupid place to install anything. OI'm not sure why I put it there in the first place!
Yeah, that's really just asking for trouble installing stuff in there. Really all I ever put in there is stuff from MS like Office and other programs that aren't games. For games, especially ones that are from before W7 came out, you just want to create yourself a Games directory somewhere IMO.

kelven
July 12th, 2012, 21:45
Here I am again, I still have problems with FGII, but now with Windows 7 x32.
I install FG with web installer and every time I run FGII, the software alert me that there is Updates Available, I click in Update Available 10, 11... 20 times, but buttom Update Available still be in red.
I reinstall FG 3 times, but every time i have the same problem. What am I doing wrong?

Trenloe
July 13th, 2012, 19:13
Here I am again, I still have problems with FGII, but now with Windows 7 x32.
I install FG with web installer and every time I run FGII, the software alert me that there is Updates Available, I click in Update Available 10, 11... 20 times, but buttom Update Available still be in red.
I reinstall FG 3 times, but every time i have the same problem. What am I doing wrong?
A couple of things to try:

Make sure you run Fantasy Grounds "As Administrator" - right-click on the shortcut you use to start FG and select "Run As Administrator". This is not the same as just logging in as a user with asministrator rights. Then click update - and see if the updater runs correctly.
If 1. doesn't work. Open Explorer and go to the Fantasy Grounds installation folder (usually \Program Files\Fantasy Grounds II), right-click on "UpdaterEngine.exe" and select "Run As Administrator" and then click the "Update" button. See if the update completes successfully.

Hopefully, one of the above actions will successfully update FG and you won't see the red update indicator - at least until the next update! :)

Moon Wizard
July 13th, 2012, 19:37
I have one other user that ran into this situation, and the key was that he had entered his FG store credentials. Something in the purchases listing is different between what FG receives and what the updater receives, which is why the button is always highlighted in his case. Currently, there is no way to remove credentials in the updater, but I plan on adding an option.

Can you send me an e-mail at [email protected], so that I can look at your information also? If you can run the installer/updater with the Debug mode setting on and send me the update.log file from the FG data folder, that would help.

Thanks,
JPG

kelven
July 13th, 2012, 23:37
Hi, I try to run as administrator, but still have the the problem.
I send an e-mail with logs in debug mode.

Regards.

Moon Wizard
July 14th, 2012, 19:19
Thanks for the file. For anyone seeing the always lit up Update button, please try the Test mode in the update settings, then update again. I found a couple corner cases related to spaces in the license key and user name.

Regards,
JPG

kelven
July 15th, 2012, 09:33
Bingo! .. I put a blank space in the license key. Now i put user and password in Settings, License key without blank spaces and (Live mode), and ckek for updates is no more in red.
Thanks!