PDA

View Full Version : GM Tools

Ardem
June 20th, 2012, 05:34
I am thinking of making some GM Tools such as a random weather creator, and perhaps a random name generator. Can anyone else think of some random tools that would be beneficial.

lachancery
June 20th, 2012, 13:55
I am thinking of making some GM Tools such as a random weather creator, and perhaps a random name generator. Can anyone else think of some random tools that would be beneficial.
I think the most useful GM tool like this for me would being able to choose climate/region types, and then I could 1) see what herbs can be found there and 2) roll for a random encounter that can be found there (or even just see the creatures tables filtered for the chosen climate/region).

A secondary tool would be to roll for random treasures for a given encounter based on their treasure code.

Nestor
June 20th, 2012, 15:30
these can be easily created using tables

JohnD
June 20th, 2012, 17:18
I think the most useful GM tool like this for me would being able to choose climate/region types, and then I could 1) see what herbs can be found there and 2) roll for a random encounter that can be found there (or even just see the creatures tables filtered for the chosen climate/region).

A secondary tool would be to roll for random treasures for a given encounter based on their treasure code.
These would all be great additions - agree completely.

What about random NPCs - say stock examples for a 1st level Fighter for example?

It would be nice to be able to bring up a list of stock NPC adventurers to populate say an encounter with Brigands - some might be normal (Everyman in RMSS vernacular) people but the leadership ground might be made up of Warrior, Magician and Cleric types (for example).

To be fair, I've mentioned something like this before and I think it's on the list for Extend (not 100% sure).

Dakadin
June 20th, 2012, 17:45
All of these ideas would be useful in my game. I have a few of them on my list but I don't think I will be getting to them anytime soon so I would definitely welcome anything you put together Ardem. :)

To be fair, I've mentioned something like this before and I think it's on the list for Extend (not 100% sure).
JohnD, yes it is on the list. I've actually been working on it the last couple days. ;)

Basically I am just replacing table 10-18 with NPCs that you can drag to your campaign. I had to make a few assumptions where there was some ambiguity like AT, shield type, etc. The attacks, defenses, and skills are filled in but I only list the number of spell lists and languages the NPC should have in the abilities section. Right now I am using the C&T table format to display them but I am working on creating windowclasses so that it looks more like table 10-18. Hopefully, I can make it available in the next few weeks.

JohnD
June 21st, 2012, 00:18
All of these ideas would be useful in my game. I have a few of them on my list but I don't think I will be getting to them anytime soon so I would definitely welcome anything you put together Ardem. :)

JohnD, yes it is on the list. I've actually been working on it the last couple days. ;)

Basically I am just replacing table 10-18 with NPCs that you can drag to your campaign. I had to make a few assumptions where there was some ambiguity like AT, shield type, etc. The attacks, defenses, and skills are filled in but I only list the number of spell lists and languages the NPC should have in the abilities section. Right now I am using the C&T table format to display them but I am working on creating windowclasses so that it looks more like table 10-18. Hopefully, I can make it available in the next few weeks.
That's great news; thanks!

Ardem
June 21st, 2012, 03:12
Ok thanks guys I going to start on random weather and then build from there.

Encounters are definite, I think I will avoid using RM tables so that way I can push it out to all. Also I think the RM encounter tables are a bit crappy, just my opinion.

1/ Question would you prefer seeing a dice roll for the random numbering, or would you prefer to get the information quicker by displaying on the push of a button and not having to wait for a roll to finish.

lachancery
June 21st, 2012, 04:43
1/ Question would you prefer seeing a dice roll for the random numbering, or would you prefer to get the information quicker by displaying on the push of a button and not having to wait for a roll to finish.
For GM-side random stuff, I don't care to see the dice rolls, as long as there is a visual cue/result clearly calling out that the random call was made.

I'd love to see support for easily modifiable tables with filters to vary the results depending on some variables (like climate, terrain, density), which you could also use for random weather as well. I'd also love to see that integrated with the new calendar that was released in 3.5E & 4E with v2.9. I've got a hunch that Dakadin will want to bring that over to RMC as well. ;)

Dakadin
June 21st, 2012, 05:20
Ok thanks guys I going to start on random weather and then build from there.

Encounters are definite, I think I will avoid using RM tables so that way I can push it out to all. Also I think the RM encounter tables are a bit crappy, just my opinion.

Very cool Ardem! I am looking forward to it. Random weather will definitely be a help.

I don't need to see the rolls. I am more interested in the random results. If I don't like a result then I will likely just tell it to roll again.

I'd love to see support for easily modifiable tables with filters to vary the results depending on some variables (like climate, terrain, density), which you could also use for random weather as well. I'd also love to see that integrated with the new calendar that was released in 3.5E & 4E with v2.9. I've got a hunch that Dakadin will want to bring that over to RMC as well.

LOL. I was thinking about doing that. :)

JohnD
June 21st, 2012, 16:54
The Calendar and Party Sheet are great additions to the 3.5 ruleset. If they can be brought over, would be a great addition.

Ardem
June 27th, 2012, 15:26
This is a quick mockup the code still needs to be put in.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4316559/FRP/randommock.JPG

I am no sure I can make the code come from xml tables, so they can be edited. I ran my eye over it and am out of my depth in that area, also wanting to imbed the code back into the db, without the need for drag and drop.

However I will make lots of notes in the code if people wish to change the roll numbers.

Perhaps after I am done Dakadin may look at the code for me if he has a chance and let me know a better way , but we still a while off.

I have got dropdown code working well now, and saving is working. So now its just the random code and the results. Probably a week away.

The question I really want to ask is what fields am I missing useful to people.

I will be adding suggested modifiers, apart of it so it helps the GM, to pass on that information

Dakadin
June 27th, 2012, 16:26
It's looking really good Ardem. :)

I am no sure I can make the code come from xml tables, so they can be edited. I ran my eye over it and am out of my depth in that area, also wanting to imbed the code back into the db, without the need for drag and drop.

I am willing to help you out with this. It is definitely confusing until you start to get the hang of it. I am definitely willing to help so you don't have to go through the same frustrations that I did figuring it out.

Perhaps after I am done Dakadin may look at the code for me if he has a chance and let me know a better way , but we still a while off.

Sure. I don't know that I will have a better way than you do. :o If you want me to look at something just let me know.

Ardem
July 29th, 2012, 13:22
Just to show I am still working on this.

It is currently working as per the the images. You need to put in a Season, Region and Time.

It will then also use last weather pattern to create the new weather, so if it was rain yesterday ther would be more chance of rain today. same as dry etc.

Also Blizzards and Hurricanes need to have high winds the day before.

What I have not go working is the Client icon on change from GM, while the window is open.

I think I also add fields for Date, Month and Year for GM to input.

Once I get the icon changing on gm change I will release as is for people to use and test.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4316559/FRP/randomhost.JPG
Host View

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4316559/FRP/randomclient.JPG
Client View

Dakadin
July 29th, 2012, 22:01
It's looking really good Ardem. I can't wait to get a hold of it to use in my game.