PDA

View Full Version : Damage reduction

Feithen
June 18th, 2012, 16:53
Hi,

I'm having trouble getting monster damage reduction to work 100%. I've tried it via setting up special qualities on the monster itself and by adding effects manually. Via either route I'm getting it to work properly for special attack types (like slashing/piercing/etc), as well as special qualities (like silver), so it SEEMS like I'm doing it right. What I can't figure out is how to get the software to determine between +1 and +2.

So my gal with a +1 sword hits a mob with DR10/+1, and the damage goes right through. My guy with a normal sword hits it, and it absorbs 10. Fab. Yet when my gal with the +1 sword hits a monster with DR20/+2, she cuts right through.

Am I missing something glaringly obvious?

Thanks!
Fei

p.s Week one of Rappan Athuk went really well!!! Loving the software, figuring a lot of things out as we go, but everybody seemed to have a lot of fun.

Moon Wizard
June 18th, 2012, 19:14
In 3.5E and PFRPG, damage reduction for magic weapons was simplified. It either needs magic to hit or not. (i.e. DR 5/magic). 3E style damage reduction for magic weapons by enhancement bonus is not in the ruleset.

Regards,
JPG

jedorian
June 18th, 2012, 20:46
If you want to work damage reduction by enhancement bonus, then the simplest way to do it is to enter the character's damage type on the combat tracker in their effects lines. If they're using a magical weapon of any kind, then give them "DMGTYPE: magic", when they are facing a creature whose damage reduction is a value greater than their weapon can properly harm, then simply turn off the effect line so that their damage is properly reduced against the monster.
You'll need to remove entries in the weapon's listing on the Action tab of the character sheet. They're listed on the Damage Type line of the drop down menu for the weapon.
You will also need to keep track of the monster's in game, since damage reduction entries of DR: 5/+1 and so on are not supported. To ensure that it works right, you will have to make certain that the damage reduction entry for any of these creatures reads "DR: # magic" on the combat tracker. If you have multiple entries of DR on the CT, they will overlap and stack. So just keep the original DR values for the monsters you're making as notes for the beastie on the NPC somewhere. If you put it under the SQ heading then it will get automatically placed in the CT, so its better if you put it in some other spot, like the 'Other' tab.

Feithen
June 18th, 2012, 21:33
That makes sense, thank you both!

heatsink
February 26th, 2013, 10:15
In the 3.5e/PFRPG ruleset, does the Damage Reduction box on the Main tab of the character sheet do anything? If it does what is the correct syntax? I can get DR to work fine if I apply an effect, but not by putting anything in the character sheet field.

Trenloe
February 26th, 2013, 12:51
In the 3.5e/PFRPG ruleset, does the Damage Reduction box on the Main tab of the character sheet do anything? If it does what is the correct syntax? I can get DR to work fine if I apply an effect, but not by putting anything in the character sheet field.
IIRC it is just for reference. Use effects to automate the DR.