PDA

View Full Version : Giving players control of an NPC

nezzir
June 18th, 2012, 02:29
I'm sure I just missed this somewhere. How can you give a player control of an NPC, so that it 'groups' with them in the combat tracker and they can control the particulars of it (equipment, rolls, etc.)? One of my players has a dog. I want him to control and maintain it, and I want it to go on his init during combat.

Edit: I don't seem to have the original ruleset documentation anymore, just the 'update' documentation.

Doswelk
June 18th, 2012, 08:27
To give access to the NPC sheet drag and drop the entry from personalities onto the character portrait to share the sheet with the player.

In combat drag the NPC sheet to the group button next to the PC you want to group the NPC with.

I did a video on the combat tracker a while back, the grouping option is around the 2 min mark.
ByQ80qAxrrI

phantomwhale
June 18th, 2012, 16:29
You can also add the dog as an "ally" on the character sheet - this gives the player a link to open the NPC any time they like.

That said, since SW 3.2 added the Personalities tool for players to see any shared NPCs any time they like, this section is a little redundant now, and probably only exists because there is an Allies section on the real world character sheet.

Certainly no-one has ever complained that Allies never got added to the Deadlands character sheet, so I took that as a strong indicator that it's not often needed / used :)

nezzir
June 18th, 2012, 16:59
Yes, thank you. The 'group' icon on the combat tracker is what I was missing.

scionofnyarlathotep
June 18th, 2012, 20:36
I've noticed that dragging an NPC that has had it's name changed, for example Gypsy being renamed Gypsy Sid, does not reflect when being dragged across to the tracker. Is this unavoidable?

On a related note, last week I had a combat where four players also took control of five gypsies. Using Ikael's feature patch, I had dragged the gypsy from the Rippers GM mod to the PC character screen, renamed them and assigned them individual portraits and tokens.

However, I did not want them to be Wild Cards but they appeared as such on the tracker and obviously rolled as such when the players accessed them.

Is there a mechanism to disable the Wild Card function on an individual player character.

You can see what I mean from the screen shot below:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16685

Ikael
June 18th, 2012, 22:00
I've noticed that dragging an NPC that has had it's name changed, for example Gypsy being renamed Gypsy Sid, does not reflect when being dragged across to the tracker. Is this unavoidable?

Currently in core SW ruleset, when NPC is dragged into character sheet only host can alter its name so that it would be reflected to combattracker. Players can change the NPC name in allies list but that won't be reflected anywhere. I am planning on changing this in SWFI to be something that exists in Unicore: When NPC is dragged to charsheet it will become complete copy of NPC itself and it will be peristed to charsheet and won't be just a link. This would actually allow allies to become real individuals. For instance when you change used weapon it won't be reflected to personalities list or other duplicates of the same NPC. Thereafter all changes can be reflected to any source: combattracker etc.

On a related note, last week I had a combat where four players also took control of five gypsies. Using Ikael's feature patch, I had dragged the gypsy from the Rippers GM mod to the PC character screen, renamed them and assigned them individual portraits and tokens.

However, I did not want them to be Wild Cards but they appeared as such on the tracker and obviously rolled as such when the players accessed them.

Is there a mechanism to disable the Wild Card function on an individual player character.

At the moment players can turn off wild card, but in that case all their controlled PCs will become non-wildcards and vica verse. This is another thing that I would like to address in SWFI: Being wildcard should be configurable per PC like it works for NPCs.

PTBBC.ORG
January 9th, 2017, 02:29
So is this still possible with 3.2 for 5E?

Ikael
January 9th, 2017, 04:06
So is this still possible with 3.2 for 5E?

This is SavageWorlds ruleset feature