PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Launcher Can't Load

dmchucky
June 16th, 2012, 16:54
Got a severe problem. Didn't know about the update (any of us) in our game last night. My comp uses Windows 7, handled the update flawlessly. However, my wife's comp runs XP, and she cannot even get 2 seconds into the New Launcher. Get the same error message every time which I have attached. We Uninstalled the program and then redownloaded with the same result. Her computer can no longer play FGII with the new version.

Ideas? Patches? Is anyone else having this problem? I couldn't seem to find a thread on it?

Help!

Chuck

ddavison
June 16th, 2012, 17:27
Is there a different virus or security program running on the XP machine than on the Win 7 box? It's possible that our new method of updating and replacing files is getting blocked by security features.

dmchucky
June 16th, 2012, 17:37
She's running TrendMicro Titanium 2012, and I haven't installed that on my box yet. But I did an Antivirus scan just an hour ago, and it didn't show any problems or quarantined files. Let me check the settings; but when I do the redownload, it doesn't show any red flags either.

dmchucky
June 16th, 2012, 17:41
I added FG and the FG Installer to the excluded files and then tried another download. I hit the same snag.

Moon Wizard
June 16th, 2012, 17:44
Try downloading and running the installer from the downloads page. If that doesn't work, uninstall FG (which will only remove the app files, not the data files) and try running the installer again.

Regards,
JPG

dmchucky
June 16th, 2012, 17:48
Try downloading and running the installer from the downloads page. If that doesn't work, uninstall FG (which will only remove the app files, not the data files) and try running the installer again.

Regards,
JPG
I appreciate the advice Moon-Wizard; but I tried all that 3 times last night and twice this morning (once just 10 minutes ago). Not sure how to completely scrub the data, but that may be my next step. But to be honest, I am doubtful that will help either.

Moon Wizard
June 17th, 2012, 03:03
Try deleting the dungeon theme extension file mentioned in the error message. Go to FG Data Folder, then the extensions subfolder, and delete the "Dungeon Theme.ext" file.

It seems like that file might have gotten locked on her machine somehow. Also, reboot if you haven't already, to clear any background file activity that might be going on.

Regards,
JPG

khersheyjr
June 17th, 2012, 04:04
Had a player last night that had the same issue with the dungeon extension. We uninstalled FG deleted both directories for Data and App and then reinstalled. Worked after that. When we tried to just uninstall we still had issues, so we had to rip out the left over files on the computer as well.

dmchucky
June 17th, 2012, 05:30
Ended up deleting the Module folder and the Extension folder and that did it. She is completely updated now. Thank you Moon and everyone else for your help. This is one less stress on my life now.

PS: love the changes by the way :)