PDA

View Full Version : New player looking to experience role playing

Fletch273
June 16th, 2012, 12:33
Hello, I'm new to this community and relatively new to role-playing.

I would like to try out pen and paper role playing but I don't know anyone irl that would be interested so Fantasy Grounds seems ideal. I've never played before but I'm no stranger to crpgs that use the AD&D system such as Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.

I would like to join a group, or even just observe a group, to see if I'd like to play on a more regular schedule. I'd prefer a campaign in the Forgotten Realms setting because that's what I'm most familiar with with being a fan of Baldur's Gate and many Forgotten Realms novels.

I live between GMT and GMT+2 timezones at the moment but soon I'll just be on GMT. Please let me know if you have a game going that I could watch or join.

Thanks,

Fletch

dr_venture
June 16th, 2012, 20:22
Hey Fletch, welcome. What are the best days/hours GMT that you would like to participate? I have Thur & Fri games with openings in the evenings GMT -8 (Pacific) that are similar to D&D, but based in the old west (think 'Red Dead Redemption,' but earlier time period, and in Nevada/CA boomtowns).

Fletch273
June 16th, 2012, 22:03
Thanks for the offer but I would usually be 10 hours behind so that might prove a little difficult. What's the name of the game you play? I'm looking for more of a fantasy setting but your game sounds interesting?

Killian
June 16th, 2012, 23:13
Hey Fletch welcome to the community!

I'm on GMT time myself the games are out there they jsut sometimes take a little looking. Right now I'm using the Pathfinder system (it takes the most prolific D&D system and makes a few subtle changes) and managing a game every 2 weeks ago with no obligation for a regular schedule.

This might be a little labour intensive for a newbie but if once you've taken a look around or want to give it a try, I'm talking about Pathfinder Society Organized Play.

The group is here: https://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/fg2pfs/

The guys there are really helpful and run introductory games all the time. You will need a society number though which can be gotten by registering at paizo.com. Follow the links for Pathfinder Society and there's a few FAQ's and guides to hlep you on your way. In the meantime best of luck experiencing a game you've got the right software FG2 still blows me away more than 4 years after purchasing it with how it can recreate tabletop games, hope you have a lot of fun.

dr_venture
June 17th, 2012, 01:23
I'm running a home brewed system based on Castles & Crusades, which is like a somewhat simplified version of the D&D you're familiar with. It's a bit of an oddball game - right now I'm just running some highly modified Boot Hill modules (Boot Hill was a western genre game that Gary Gygax developed around the time he was working on the early versions of D&D). Unless you're free Thursdays 6am to 10am or Fridays 10am to 2pm, unfortunately our schedules won't synch up. There are lots of games up here, especially in the Fantasy genre - you shouldn't have any problems.

Valarian
June 17th, 2012, 09:52
You're welcome to come and observe my game tonight. We're using The One Ring. If you like what you see, we can come up with a character during the week and you could join in next week.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=794

Fletch273
June 17th, 2012, 13:23
Valarian, thanks for the offer. I can't make it tonight but I might be able to next Sunday if it's a regular thing.

Killian, thanks for the link. I'll take a look at that.

BTW, I don't have a license yet because I'm still unsure of how regular I will play. Hopefully after a few games I'll be ready to dive in!

Fletchedit: Do most pathfinder games take place in its own campaign setting or do people use other ones too?