PDA

View Full Version : Game State Doesn't Carry Forward

JohnD
June 15th, 2012, 04:41
Not sure if the title does the issue justice, but here it goes....

I have a campaign and modules created separately. I /export the modules then place the file in the campaign's module directory.

In play, I notice;

1) masking of images, say maps don't carry forward from one session to the next... I'm always having to re-mask everything and re-reveal what the group saw last time.
2) In my Images and Encounters tabs I sometimes get double entries for the same thing. For example 2 village maps will be listed - deleting one deletes them both.

When I load my original module, I then notice that the masking I performed in the game before is still the state I left off in; images are masked appropriately, encounters are only listed once.

Am I doing something wrong? Could this be caused by flipping back/forth between 2.8.1 and 2.9 for my various games? Any ideas? :confused:

Moon Wizard
June 15th, 2012, 05:36
Switching between versions probably isn't helping. I thought I addressed a similar issue for v2.9, but I don't see anything in the v2.9 patch notes. So, either I forgot to include the note, or it's not addressed.

Try again once v2.9 is released (will happen tonight). If you are still seeing the issue, let me get a copy of your files.

Just to clarify, the mask/drawing does not get saved in the module export process, but should be saved between sessions once accessed in the module.

Regards,
JPG

JohnD
June 15th, 2012, 14:10
Just to clarify, the mask/drawing does not get saved in the module export process, but should be saved between sessions once accessed in the module.

Regards,
JPG
Thanks - yeah the masking doesn't carry forward. Hoping 2.9 will fix.

Callum
June 15th, 2012, 15:07
Note that if you make changes to your modules between sessions and re-export them, this will lose any masking created in the main campaign (though you can manually re-attach the masks, since they aren't actually deleted). This can also cause problems with images.

Also, you shouldn't need to move the module files to the campaign's modules directory - just opening them from inside the campaign should be enough.

JohnD
June 15th, 2012, 17:00
Note that if you make changes to your modules between sessions and re-export them, this will lose any masking created in the main campaign (though you can manually re-attach the masks, since they aren't actually deleted). This can also cause problems with images.

Also, you shouldn't need to move the module files to the campaign's modules directory - just opening them from inside the campaign should be enough.
Interesting... maybe this is what's causing the confusion - FG sees two versions of the same thing; one external to the campaign (which seems to be what's getting used) and the one that's internal. I'll remove the internal stuff and see if that changes things.

JohnD
June 17th, 2012, 00:07
Removed the versions internal to the campaign. Re-set the masks and closed. Open up the module today and all the masking I did is gone.

When I look in Windows Explorer all the masked images are there as they should be, but don't show up in game (and I get double entries for them).

Edit: loading the module directly has all the correct masking and no double listings.

Likely I'm doing something wrong again, but would you like a copy of the module?

Moon Wizard
June 17th, 2012, 03:09
Sure, send me the module at [email protected], and reference this thread.

Thanks,
JPG

JohnD
June 17th, 2012, 23:00
So last night was my first game after doing the v2.9 upgrade. I had to re-mask everything (again... getting better at it through repetition).

Went back in today and I see everything is as it was left at the end; PCs on the map and masking intact.

So... it could very well be the moving from v2.8.1 to beta v2.9 and back/forth over the last 6 weeks or so was causing it. I will post back here if it starts happening again.