PDA

View Full Version : Odd connection problems

nezzir
June 12th, 2012, 01:40
I've read the FAQ.

Symptom: She can connect out to my server, no problem. I cannot connect to her server. "Simple" you say, enable port forwarding and exceptions on the firewall. Read on.

She has a simple Belkin firewall/modem combo. I was able to get in and add a port forward for 1802 to her internal address. This should have done it, but it still didn't work. I opened the Windows firewall (WinXP). There was already an exception for Fantasy Grounds 2, I added port 1802 TCP and UDP. No joy.

She runs Avast and AdAware. We shut down both and even put the PC in the DMZ for a short time - so it's not likely it's her router.

More Symptoms: If she presses the "Test" button on the Load Page, it fails. Port 1802 cannot be seen by canyouseeme.org, even with FGII running in server mode and the host in the DMZ with all other memory resident programs shut down.

Is it possible her ISP (Bell South) is blocking this port?

I've helped many people with this problem, but this one has me stumped.

damned
June 12th, 2012, 02:05
can you do a local/internal test? that will help rule out pc/software issues.
it is possible her isp is blocking it but its not a common port to have blocked...

nezzir
June 12th, 2012, 02:12
Great idea! I didn't think of that. However, the local connection worked, so I'm still in the same boat.

FYI: I'm running Teamviewer to troubleshoot the issue from remote. I thought that might be interfering so I exited and walked her through setting up the server for a test - no luck there either :/

Griogre
June 12th, 2012, 09:43
DMZ often doesn't work very well, in my experience, so I would not trust it that it's simulating the firewall is off. Does Advast have a firewall? I'm not familiar with it and a lot of AV's have them these days and if so shutting down Advast wouldn't open 1802. It sounds like you still have a firewall still on somewhere or maybe have a typo in the port number or something. :(

nezzir
June 12th, 2012, 14:13
DMZ often doesn't work very well, in my experience, so I would not trust it that it's simulating the firewall is off. Does Advast have a firewall? I'm not familiar with it and a lot of AV's have them these days and if so shutting down Advast wouldn't open 1802. It sounds like you still have a firewall still on somewhere or maybe have a typo in the port number or something. :(

Thanks for responding. I've checked the firewall dozens of times (making sure the ports are correct, making sure DHCP hasn't handed out a new address, making sure the rule is enabled, etc). I'm pretty sure that part is correct. I even compared it to another post in this forum from someone with an identical router that posted a screen shot. If the router hardware is working properly, then it's configured right.

We tested with both the anti-virus and anti-malware, not only disabled, but removed from memory completely (disabled and reboot). There are no other programs I can see that could possibly provide a firewall function.

Moon Wizard
June 12th, 2012, 22:07
It seems like you've covered all the bases. Here's my usual checklist:

1. Test 2 instances on same machine using "localhost" for server address (to test per program firewall settings)
2. Test on 2 different machines on same network using internal IP address for server (to test any per machine firewall or network settings)
3. Test across Internet (to test router/modem firewall settings)

If 1 and 2 are working, but 3 is not, and you've double-checked the router settings; I'm guessing that something outside her local network is blocking. It's not unheard of for an ISP to block ports, though not common.

Cheers,
JPG

Zeus
June 12th, 2012, 23:24
I'd also check to see if your friend has a separate cable modem + router setup. If so, the modem may include a NAT firewall which will also require opening and port forwarding.

Trenloe
June 12th, 2012, 23:38
Also, check you don't have other network interfaces running on her machine. If you're using wifi try connecting by a cable to the modem and disable the wifi adapter on her machine when you do this (so there is only one network interface running - just the cable connection).

nezzir
June 13th, 2012, 04:31
Excellent - thanks to all. I have her contacting her ISP with a script I provided to tell them the situation (and I'm on call if needed). I did not check for a 2nd interface. I'll do that next time I'm on. That's a possibility. She's far away, but if we don't get it resolved I'll take a lappy down there for a "2 host - 1 network" test. I'll post here as soon as we figure it out. Thanks again.

ddavison
June 15th, 2012, 01:36
The multiple network issue can cause problems. It is possible that the port forwarding is routed to one, but the communication is actually trying to go across the other. FG doesn't allow you to choose which network adapter it will listen on, so it normally requires that you disable the one you don't want to use.

nezzir
June 16th, 2012, 23:06
There was a second (unused) network interface set up, but alas it was not the problem. I deleted it - still no joy.

I know it's dangerous, but just for testing I disabled Windows firewall and put the machine in the DMZ for a short test - same results.

That eliminates the network interface, Windows firewall, and router firewall. We're back to calling the ISP to see if they are blocking that port for some reason.

--Nez

damned
June 17th, 2012, 08:46
you probably really still need to do a local test to completely rule out local issues - eg 2nd computer on same network...

nezzir
June 17th, 2012, 16:58
It's on my list, but she lives far away from me. I'll have to figure something out on that.

ddavison
June 18th, 2012, 04:35
There was a second (unused) network interface set up, but alas it was not the problem. I deleted it - still no joy.

I know it's dangerous, but just for testing I disabled Windows firewall and put the machine in the DMZ for a short test - same results.

That eliminates the network interface, Windows firewall, and router firewall. We're back to calling the ISP to see if they are blocking that port for some reason.

--Nez

Nezzir,

Now that you've disabled the second network interface, it would be a good idea to re-check your router config. It's possible that your router was mapped to the network interface you removed. You'll want to re-launch FG and check what it reports as your local IP and then make sure the router is forwarding traffic for 1802 to that port. It may even be necessary to delete and re-enter the port forward setup on your router. Some of their software tries to be a little "too" sophisticated and ends up causing more problems then they solve.

-Doug

nezzir
June 19th, 2012, 04:26
Yessir, I looked at that. The IP address, for which the port forward is designed, has not changed. The extra interface was idle and disabled. I deleted it anyway. The remaining interface still has the same IP address and the port forward uses it.

Emerick
December 28th, 2012, 03:09
I am in the same boat, uninstalled Avast, turned off Windows Firewall, direct wire from Modem, uninstalled Fantasy Grounds, but when I go to re-install, the FG updater pops up and errors out when trying to connect to re-install. Error went away after re-installing Avast. The FG Updater then was able to "update" all the files but no longer has the Uninstall.exe and will not even populate in the all programs list under the start menu...had to go to the drive and search for it under the Programs File. Still can connect to other GM's but other can not get connected to me as the GM...test still comes back as Failure.

Trenloe
December 28th, 2012, 03:28
I am in the same boat, uninstalled Avast, turned off Windows Firewall, direct wire from Modem, uninstalled Fantasy Grounds, but when I go to re-install, the FG updater pops up and errors out when trying to connect to re-install. Error went away after re-installing Avast. The FG Updater then was able to "update" all the files but no longer has the Uninstall.exe and will not even populate in the all programs list under the start menu...had to go to the drive and search for it under the Programs File. Still can connect to other GM's but other can not get connected to me as the GM...test still comes back as Failure.
Check that you don't have other network cards enabled on your PC - wireless/wired, VPN, etc.. Ensure the "Internal Address" reported by FG is the address you're using for port forwarding on your router - you don't mention port forwarding above, have you set that up?

Emerick
December 28th, 2012, 04:37
I am not sure how to do that on my Hughes Net Modem, or even how to access it, have no router...direct line to Modem and direct line to computer.

Trenloe
December 28th, 2012, 05:25
So, your computer has an external IP address or an internal one? Internal addresses will be something like 192.168.xx.xx or 10.xx.xx.xx

One thing to see if it is your Internet connection or local to the PC - start FG and load a campaign, on the same PC start another instance of FG - join the game as a player, using the host address of 'localhost' (remove the single quotes). If this works it means the problem is more than likely with your connection.

damned
December 28th, 2012, 12:19
I am not sure how to do that on my Hughes Net Modem, or even how to access it, have no router...direct line to Modem and direct line to computer.

Very rarely today will your ISP supply you with equipment that gives the average end user (eg non business connection) a public ip address. even if you opt for their cheapest hardware option which they describe as a modem it will (almost always) still be a router and perform NAT.

If you want to host games you WILL have to learn how to logon to your router and setup a NAT/PAT entry for Fantasy Grounds or use a VPN option... This is because of the client/server architecture used by Fantasy Grounds...

If you really cant find the answer send me a PM and I will try and help you.

Emerick
December 31st, 2012, 04:25
So i was able to connect with the localhost action, I have got a modem now, and hooked it up and set the forwarding ports to 1802 but still get a Failure when I run the test :(

damned
December 31st, 2012, 05:00
you need to map/forward tcp 1802 on your WAN or Internet address to your computers LAN (or WiFi - but make sure only one is in use - dont connect your computer to both wifi and ethernet) address, also on tcp port 1802.
what model router/modem do you have.
pm me if you still cant get it going.

Emerick
December 31st, 2012, 20:11
Router: Lynksys WRT54G2 / Config: Automatic Configuration - DHCP - Enabled 192.168.1.100 - Max users 50
Security: Block WAN - off /Filter Multicast - off / Filter Internet NAT Redirection - off / Filter IDNET (port 113) - off
Apps and Games: Port Range Forward 1802 (both TCP/UDP) IP: 192.168.1.101 (?) / Port Trigger: 1802 / DMZ Host IP Address: Enabled - 192.168.1.101 (?) / Qos: Enabled - AP FG II Highest 1802

ADMIN: ROUTER
AUTOMATIC CONFIG - DHCP
IP ADDRESS: 100.77.129.26
SUBNET MASK: 255.255.255.248
DEFAULT GATEWAY: 100.77.129.25
DSN1: 192.168.0.1
MTU: 1500

ADMIN: LOCAL NETWORK
MAC ADDRESS: 00:1E:E5:74:4C:98
IP ADDRESS: 192.168.1.1
SUBNET MASK: 255.255.255.0
DHCP SERVER: Enabled
START IP ADDRESS: 192.168.1.100
END IP ADDRESS: 192.168.1.149

damned
January 1st, 2013, 00:55
couple of quick things to check -
what is your computers IP address? is it 192.168.1.101? if not then your nat wont work. you should try to give yourself a static lease.
is this line that you have posted correct?

DSN1: 192.168.0.1
turn off qos
turn off dmz host ip

Emerick
January 1st, 2013, 02:01
Turned off QoS and DMZ Host IP

Fantasy Grounds: Internal Address: 192.168.1.101
Fantasy Grounds: External Address: 67.143.239.25

Confirm: DSN1: 192.168.0.1

Set Static DNS 1: 192.168.1.101
Now DSN1: 192.168.1.101

Fantasy Grounds Connection Test : Failure

To reiterate: I can join my other two games as a player, but can not host as GM.

damned
January 1st, 2013, 02:12
check your PM.

Emerick
January 1st, 2013, 02:36
Sorry, what PM? Do you have Skype?