PDA

View Full Version : Dcc Rpg

primarch
June 10th, 2012, 04:05
Hi!

Anybody know if there is an effort to make a ruleset for Goodman Games DCC RPG?

It does use some weird dice, so I wonder how hard it would be to make.

Primarch

geekworx
June 10th, 2012, 06:21
Not familiar with the ruleset ... what do you mean by weird dice?

Do you have a linky to the ruleset?

primarch
June 10th, 2012, 17:14
Not familiar with the ruleset ... what do you mean by weird dice?

Do you have a linky to the ruleset?

Hi!

Here you go:

https://www.goodman-games.com/5070preview.html

The weird dice comments refers to use of non-standard dice like, d3's, d5's, d7's, d14's, d16's and even d24's.

It leads to the DCC RPG homepage, and many informative links. Its an old school feel game with new mechanics. The book has many old style illustrations which have met with many approvals.

Primarch

geekworx
June 10th, 2012, 17:42
Cool.

Right ... so is a D3 can be tackled in two ways.

D6/2 rounding up -> ( 1 = 1, 2 = 1, 3 = 2, 4 = 2, 5 = 3, 6 = 3).
D6 statistical -> ( 1 or 2 = 1, 3 or 4 = 2, 5 or 6 = 3).

Either way you will get the same results ... not sure why I explained both ... *shrug* ... anyway.

D5 and D7 are a D6 - 1 with a 0 indicating a 1 or a reroll and a D8 -1 respectively. You could stack the odds in your favour by indicating a 0 as a 1 ... hence the statistics will favour ones instead.

D24 is 2 x D12 ... unfortunately this means you will end up with 2 to 24 instead of 1 to 24 ... not sure how this would effect the rules and gameplay.

All this can be done using scripts and applying calculations in script automatically or doing it manually through modifiers. I would need to know more about the game system and how they utilise the strange Dice ... not sure in all my years of roleplaying that I have ever seen a D7.

There are probably more fancy ways of doing this in script ... but I am only just delving in to the scripting possibilities of FGII ... so I would probably not be the best person to answer these questions for you.

Anyone else ... feel free to chip in here anytime. :)

Moon Wizard
June 10th, 2012, 17:54
You could create customdie objects for each of the new die types to get the dice to "roll". However, you could completely replace the "rolled" result of any die with a randomized number.

Another solution would be to use a bigger die and reroll as geekworx mentioned, but that would require more work in creating the rerolling logic.

Cheers,
JPG

primarch
June 10th, 2012, 21:35
Cool.

Right ... so is a D3 can be tackled in two ways.

D6/2 rounding up -> ( 1 = 1, 2 = 1, 3 = 2, 4 = 2, 5 = 3, 6 = 3).
D6 statistical -> ( 1 or 2 = 1, 3 or 4 = 2, 5 or 6 = 3).

Either way you will get the same results ... not sure why I explained both ... *shrug* ... anyway.

D5 and D7 are a D6 - 1 with a 0 indicating a 1 or a reroll and a D8 -1 respectively. You could stack the odds in your favour by indicating a 0 as a 1 ... hence the statistics will favour ones instead.

D24 is 2 x D12 ... unfortunately this means you will end up with 2 to 24 instead of 1 to 24 ... not sure how this would effect the rules and gameplay.

All this can be done using scripts and applying calculations in script automatically or doing it manually through modifiers. I would need to know more about the game system and how they utilise the strange Dice ... not sure in all my years of roleplaying that I have ever seen a D7.

There are probably more fancy ways of doing this in script ... but I am only just delving in to the scripting possibilities of FGII ... so I would probably not be the best person to answer these questions for you.

Anyone else ... feel free to chip in here anytime. :)

Hi!
I would tackle the dice on the small end by using a common die and repeat the numbers. A d3 would be a d6 with 1,2,3's repeated twice (so 1,1,2,2,3,3). Same for the d5 which would use a d10 (1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5). A D7, would be a d14 repeated in the same vein. The d24 is not much different from a d20 just with 4 extra numbers. Same for the d14 and d16 which are similar to a d12.

The rules mechanics themselves are pretty simple, so compared to 3e or 4e rulesets there is a lot less to script.

Of course, I would have to first learn how to actually use any of the languages require to do this OR wait until the FG team gets the ruleset maker done via kickstarter or other means.

As time goes by I realize that such a FG feature is desperately needed.

Primarch