PDA

View Full Version : Questions about SW system and ruleset

nezzir
June 8th, 2012, 15:44
I was wondering, the SW ruleset reports when a 'Trait roll' is a '1'. My understanding is, the roll doesn't fail unless both die come up '1' (for Wildcards). Is there a rule I'm missing that says something happens when the trait roll comes up 1 (and the Wilddie does not), or is that just for reference?

Another question I've always had, in the rule book it gives an example of someone making a ranged attack, at the default TN of 4. In the example they mention that if you roll 4 over to hit then you hit with a raise. Is that 4 default for all skill raises, no matter the TN? For example, if I'm in melee combat with someone that has a parry of 6, do I need a 10 to raise, or a 12?

Thanks,
Nez

Doswelk
June 8th, 2012, 18:59
I was wondering, the SW ruleset reports when a 'Trait roll' is a '1'. My understanding is, the roll doesn't fail unless both die come up '1' (for Wildcards). Is there a rule I'm missing that says something happens when the trait roll comes up 1 (and the Wilddie does not), or is that just for reference?

Most powers have a problem if you roll a one on the skill die, e.g. Shaken for each '1' rolled, so casting 3 bolts can cause Shaken and two wounds to the caster.

Other settings add other rules, for example weapons can jam or degrade in quality when a '1' is rolled.

Another question I've always had, in the rule book it gives an example of someone making a ranged attack, at the default TN of 4. In the example they mention that if you roll 4 over to hit then you hit with a raise. Is that 4 default for all skill raises, no matter the TN? For example, if I'm in melee combat with someone that has a parry of 6, do I need a 10 to raise, or a 12?

To get a raise you must roll 4 or more higher than the required target number:

e.g.

Shooting a target at short range: 4 = hit, 8 = hit with raise
Shooting a target at medium range: 4 -2 (range modifer) = miss, 6 -2 = hit, 10 -2 = hit with raise.

Fighting roll against a Parry of 6: 6 = hit, 10 = hit with raise.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
Nez[/QUOTE]

nezzir
June 8th, 2012, 20:05
Yes, that answers my questions completely. Thank you.

--Nez

Tryll
July 4th, 2012, 18:39
I have one on a similar topic...

We're using the Savage World Extensions, not sure if this "issue" exists without it yet.

On the Character sheet, one can right-click on a trait and set (semi-permanent) modifiers to the roll for that trait. This modifier shows itself in the lower-right of the trait dice.

But, somehow (the crux of the issue), one can also modify the wild-die associated with that trait... apparently also semi-permanently. This shows up as a d8 (or whatever die) in the upper right of the trait dice.

I have one character sheet showing this "accidentally" (and getting the resulting rolls)... and I don't know how to reset or remove it. Any pointers?

Ikael
July 4th, 2012, 19:01
I have one on a similar topic...

We're using the Savage World Extensions, not sure if this "issue" exists without it yet.

On the Character sheet, one can right-click on a trait and set (semi-permanent) modifiers to the roll for that trait. This modifier shows itself in the lower-right of the trait dice.

But, somehow (the crux of the issue), one can also modify the wild-die associated with that trait... apparently also semi-permanently. This shows up as a d8 (or whatever die) in the upper right of the trait dice.

I have one character sheet showing this "accidentally" (and getting the resulting rolls)... and I don't know how to reset or remove it. Any pointers?

I quess you're refering to SWFI (Savage World Feature Improvements) extension? Wild-die can be assigned individually for each trait by holding ALT button down and dragging-and-dropping any die on the traitfield. If selected wild die differs from regular wild die (usually d6) it's displayed on the righttop corner of the trait. So basically drag-and-drop your campaign's wild die into that trait's field and remember to hold ALT down to reset it.

Tryll
July 4th, 2012, 19:20
Perfect. Yes, thanks for the quick response!