PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous feature patch extension

Ikael
June 3rd, 2012, 18:50
I'm planning on creating generic feature extension for SW which will include some new features that are yet lacked from SW core ruleset and I will rewrite some existing features to meet my own needs/visions. The featurelist is from SW ruleset's official idea list.

Implemented improvements/features

Allow single skills to use different Wild Die: By holding ALT down and dragging a die to any traitfield that die becomes the wild die for that specifc trait.
D12 skills cause skill entry to overflow on PC and NPCs: When trait has D12, no additional numberfield is rendered next to trait. Instead the numberfield is rendered into bonuslist. Additional feature: When clicking middle-mouse button on any trait field, the bonudwindow is opened. When middle-mouse button is clicked anywhere on bonuswindow, the window dissapears.
Die numbers and modifier numbers visible: Total trait bonus is displayed at right bottom corner of trait.
"Encounters" as per other rulesets: Host may prepare combats before hand by dragging NPC into combat window. Each combatant can also be dragged into map to setup its position. When combat is applied by clicking the left bottom button, NPCs are automatically included to combat tracker and their tokens are included into map. Combat can also be exported into module, see new option in export menu.
Allow players to drag text onto portraits to whisper to other players: Player can drag text from chatentry to any other player's portrait and it becomes a whisper.
Make adding Pre-Gen PCs to modules a first class operation: Host may export existing PCs from campaign into module and include them into new campaign thereafter. See new option in export menu. When opened module contains pre-generated PCs the character selection will display them and host may drag-and-drop them into selection list to make them available for players.
Menu option in Combat tracker: This menu can be used to remove all NPCs or PCs from combat tracker, and to import all active PCs into combat tracker
PC export into xml file: Host may export any PC to xml file from character selection view. In addition host can import any exported xml file into PC.
Unavailable Characters: Host may explicitely declare any existing characteras unavailable from character selection view. When this is done the character is not displayed for any player.
Combat Tracker : Attack Line(s): NPC have skill and weapon lines in their combat tracker entry to speed up attacking and rolling damages.
End Turn option for players: Player can explicitely end his/her turn by clicking "End turn" button. This will deliver clear message to all player and host.
Improvements on NPC sheet: Minor cosmic changes on NPC sheet+NPC skillname field will now expand when writing long skill names.
Revert module to original form: New menu option was added to module activation display. This option will revert all changes that are made to module data.
"Clear die" on Fighting Skill causes an error: Bug fixed
Activating a combatant via the mini-tracker throws error: Issue resolved by disabling feature from minitracker. The feature is still in use with main tracker
Dock/Stack shortcut registering with index: New functions registerDockShortcutAt and registerStackShortcutAt were added to DesktopManager. These can be used to register shortcut into certain index, so their placement on screen can adjusted. For instance Combat shortcut is now the 3rd top shortcut at dock.
Allow for longer module names: Module namefield in module activation display will no expand downwards and the "book" won't hide anymore
Bonuslist skillname field improvement: This field will now expand downwards if skillname is too long. In addition the label will automatically update when changing in charsheet.
Damage rolls automatically show total sum: When rolling damage, the dice outcome displays automatically the total sum.
Allows players to see other players bennies: New option was added for Host to select if bennies will be displayed at character's portaits or not. There are three values for it: No, GM and GM+PC. With No option nothing is displayed, with GM option bennies are displayed for Host only, and with GM+PC option bennies are displayed for Host and players and players can see each other's bennies.
Power points on PC portaits: New option was added for Host to select if power points will be displayed at character's portaits or not. There are three values for it: No, GM and GM+PC. With No option nothing is displayed, with GM option PPs are displayed for Host only, and with GM+PC option PPs are displayed for Host and players and players can see each other's PPS.
Combat skills on minisheet: allow players mark any of their skills to favored. Favored marked skills are displayed at minisheet.
Combat conditions on PC portrait: Wounds, shaken and inc are displayed on PC portraits. Host has new preference option to determine who will see these conditions.
Double-click 1d6 icon to throw a damage raise die: by dragging the icon, a raise damage roll will be dragged (which can ace).
Power extension builded-in: Leo Gray's original power extension was built-in to this extension to get it work compatible with other features.
Portrait/Token image and "ID" bubble instead of PP: PC portrait is now displayed in character sheet with speak-bubble which host can use to activate PC identity. In addition if you drag-and-drop TOKEN into PC portrait on charsheet or in desktop, that token becomes character's "combat token". Thereafter when you drag from PC portrait, you will drag character as "combat token". Combat token can be cleared with right menu option or clicking middle-mouse button on PC portrait on charsheet. You can also display current combat token by holding ALT down: portrait will dissapear and token is displayed there.
View and remove modifiers on modifier stack: Modifiers can be displayed and removed from modifierstack. Whenever you add modifiers to your modifierstack a small circle appears at the bottom of modifierstack. If you hover your mouse on it, it will display what modifier it is. By clicking any of those circles, you can remove that modifier from stack.
Chatwindow upgrade: Moveable & re-sizable chatwindow
When host shares minitracker to players:, the minitracker won't open to host itself because s/he can use the main combat tracker. In addition players cannot close the minitracker themselves, but they can minimize it. Only the host can close everyone's combat tracker by closing the main tracker.
Built-in Languages feature: as in 4E, except that no slashcommands needed, only selection from dropbox
Character sheet's weapon types: cause errors when dragged or double-clicked and skill had no bonuses. Fixed
Powers: must have bonuslist similar to weapons, in addition all skill bonuses should be included into rolls made from powers icon. In addition power specific bonus should be displayed next to power icon.
Character sheet weapon list needs improvements: ammo should be moved below damage to save space in case of long weapon name. In addition weapon specific bonus should be displayed next to weapon icon.
List item highlighting feature: When mouse is hovered over windowlist's item, that item will be highlighted
The ability for PCs to talk as Allies
Renaming an Ally doesn't transfer to the Tracker: In addition when NPC is dragged to PC's allylist any other NPC information can be changed.
Unskilled skill-entry should be generated automatically for all PCs.
Chat entry's auto-complate (tab), in addition to PC names, will now scope GM identities, PC allies. To use this feature, type few initial letters of identity you're looking for and hit tab. Normally you get first possible result and no way to continue search, but now when you keep pressing tab it will provide you all possible hits based on your initial search criteria. In addition when you hold down SHIFT and press tab, the search will return previous hit.
Library indexlist width was set incorrectly so that all entry names were cut off slight from the end. Fixed!
Create new entries to library using FG interface and use them as any other library entry. This can be used to create new edges, hindarances and skills on the run and they work the same way library entries work. To use this feature open any existing module of yours, and head to skilllist, edgelist or to hindarancelist, there you can right click and select 'create new' or 'copy entry' (which will make full copy of any existing entry). You can also remove your created entries. Custom library entries can be exported into module (there is new export option in export window to do that) and use in any other campaign thereafter. Remember to export your customized entries as Shared (common) enteries so client will automatically download them in use.

Planned features

Rollable tables: Create customizable rollable tables. Host can create new tables and edit existing ones, and even export them to modules.
Three-layer feature in images/maps
Change scale of maps: Different map can have different measure scale. Combat maps have meters, but travalling maps can have kilometers and spacemaps can have lightyears etc...
Create Gear: As with items and vehicles, there should be feature where GM can create any other type of gear (melee,ranged,armor etc) using FG GUI and export them.
... more to be announced

phantomwhale
June 4th, 2012, 11:43
Good man - I should just give you a source control login and go on extended leave :)

Ikael
June 4th, 2012, 19:45
:D No, but personally I am keeping my work as opensource but I don't mind if you like to include some of them into core ruleset.

The second version (v0.2) is now uploaded. Redownload it from attachment above. In this version I have started to implement "attack lines" feature but stopped since I would love to hear some hard-user options about how this should be done. I could include skills+weapons and allow GM to select "favored" skills+weapons for each NPC which only are displayed at CT, or I could display all of them or only skills, or weapons. What are actually wanted in this feature??

Another note is that I implemented my version of Pre-gen character export/import (export PCS as-is to modules) and on the way I broke original NPC to PC conversion, which I will fix for next version. So don't wonder why it doesn't work in this version...

I would strongly approciate if people could have a test for this ext and report me if you encounter any issues. I haven't focused much on testing at the moment, but will get there when I have implemented features listed above.

scionofnyarlathotep
June 5th, 2012, 00:16
I'm running Eye of Kilquato this Thursday. I'll let you know if we have any problems.

scionofnyarlathotep
June 5th, 2012, 00:27
:D No, but personally I am keeping my work as opensource but I don't mind if you like to include some of them into core ruleset.

The second version (v0.2) is now uploaded. Redownload it from attachment above. In this version I have started to implement "attack lines" feature but stopped since I would love to hear some hard-user options about how this should be done. I could include skills+weapons and allow GM to select "favored" skills+weapons for each NPC which only are displayed at CT, or I could display all of them or only skills, or weapons. What are actually wanted in this feature??

Another note is that I implemented my version of Pre-gen character export/import (export PCS as-is to modules) and on the way I broke original NPC to PC conversion, which I will fix for next version. So don't wonder why it doesn't work in this version...

I would strongly approciate if people could have a test for this ext and report me if you encounter any issues. I haven't focused much on testing at the moment, but will get there when I have implemented features listed above.

Glitch one found - In the PC Character Selection screen, left clicking the menu button does not 'stick' the choices. It is not possible to use one of the menu choices. Right click is fine for the import character function.

nezzir
June 5th, 2012, 05:48
I was just asking about a feature to save combats. Thank you very much!

--Nez

Ikael
June 5th, 2012, 14:49
I made quick update on extension where character selection menu button will now 'stick' when left clicked. In addition "make unavailable" option was added character selection view; pre-gen list is only displayed when there are pre-generated chars; NPC to PC conversion was also fixed.

Ikael
June 5th, 2012, 18:54
Alright, "attack lines" (Trait and Weapon lines) are now added to combat tracker and are visible only for NPCs. All NPC attributres+skills are mapped to trait and all NPC's weapons are mapped to weaponlist. All of these are double-clickable/drag-droppable and will update when NPC data changes.

About changing wilddie for attribute, I found out that it's not working as it should be. It's fixed for skills, but doesn't work for attributes. Now the question is that is it important to have ability to alter used wilddie for attributes individually?

Doswelk
June 5th, 2012, 19:46
I get a console crash every time I try to modify the dice (i.e. create -2 unskilled mod for a skill)

What am I doing wrong?

Ikael
June 5th, 2012, 20:18
I get a console crash every time I try to modify the dice (i.e. create -2 unskilled mod for a skill)

What am I doing wrong?

You're not doing any wrong, instead you're doing great work! You nailed one major issue that I had missed :) Please redownload ext from first post's attachments, the fix is there. Another issue I encountered is that attack lines are not populated as expected when initially adding NPCs, but if you close+reopen CT, they work fine.

nezzir
June 5th, 2012, 21:20
You're not doing any wrong, instead you're doing great work! You nailed one major issue that I had missed :) Please redownload ext from first post's attachments, the fix is there. Another issue I encountered is that attack lines are not populated as expected when initially adding NPCs, but if you close+reopen CT, they work fine.

I'm still getting the error, but not when I mouse up, only when I mouse down below zero.

I can go up, and back down to zero, but if I go below zero, I get a console crash with a diemodwidget error.

Ikael
June 5th, 2012, 22:00
I'm still getting the error, but not when I mouse up, only when I mouse down below zero.

I can go up, and back down to zero, but if I go below zero, I get a console crash with a diemodwidget error.

Thanks for pointing this out. Previous problem was because of getting wrong typed data from database, and this error is actually another one and related to widgets usage. In the code I destroyed the bonus displaying widget when modifier is zero, but this is bad practise according to library specs:

"Warning
Using the widget reference for operations after a call to destroy may produce invalid operation. Any reference to the widget object should be invalidated (set to nil)."

Instead of removing widget I simply hide it. It takes some time for me to updated the extension here since I will be doing improvements on other features as well

Ikael
June 6th, 2012, 00:05
Issues mentioned above are now fixed and attachment is updated. All initial features are now implemented so I will start more heavy weighted testing. Yet any feedback is very approciated :)

Ikael
June 6th, 2012, 18:38
Testing iteration is now done, and lots of small, but irritating bugs are resolved within this extension. All features are now implemented and I will take a short pause on development and will start using this at playtesting. See the first post to download the latest version 0.4

Doswelk
June 6th, 2012, 20:57
Just made these to keep it more in line with the Savage Worlds ruleset, hope you like.

I have no idea what the correct names should be for the files as I made these on a PC without FGII installed on it.

Ikael
June 6th, 2012, 22:35
Simply awesome graphics Doswelk, thank you! I couldn't help myself here, I had to add those into use already (please re-download extension from the first post's attachment). In addition I added new feature to DesktopManager to register shortcuts with specific index. With this the Combat shortcut is not the 3rd top on dock shortcuts.

scionofnyarlathotep
June 7th, 2012, 00:26
Encountered another issue tonight when prepping for tomorrow.

I'm running the free Eye of Kilquato scenario and I was trying to set up Combat Encounters from the Foes tab on the Personalities list, i.e. drag and drop from tab to encounter. I am getting the following error:

Only NPCs from Personalities list can be assigned to combat

There is not a problem if I create a new personality in the blank tab on the Personalities list, they can be dragged to the encounter.

Ikael
June 7th, 2012, 05:45
Thanks for pointing that out. I thought I was clever with that feature, but forgot that module imported npcs are victims. Gotta make quick patch here...

Ikael
June 7th, 2012, 06:14
The combat list issue is now fixed, by removing my "clever feature" :p Get new version from the first post's attachment (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2559&d=1339046019)

phantomwhale
June 7th, 2012, 09:01
**Massive applaud** for the work here; so far and ongoing ! It's a lot easier to add features into the "main product" knowing they have had some good level of playtesting already.

I will certainly be making every effort to integrate much of what Ikael has done into the core ruleset when I have time, and hopefully get it into the SWEX 3.3 release (which was otherwise aimed as a bug fix only and FG v2.9 / SWD / Adventure Deck compatibility release). Life has had me far too busy for the last few months (big house moves and renovations mainly), so having some work already done on some of the top wishlist items is a real lift for getting back onto them.

Also kudos to Doswelk too for the graphics - it's not my strongest suit (although my photoshoppery is coming on leaps and bounds these days) so always nice to get community assistance for these (as well as the playtesting) !

Doswelk
June 7th, 2012, 19:02
**Massive applaud** for the work here; so far and ongoing ! It's a lot easier to add features into the "main product" knowing they have had some good level of playtesting already.
I could not agree more... Now can someone point me to the video I saw AGES ago where it showed me how to create Combat Encounters :o

Also kudos to Doswelk too for the graphics - it's not my strongest suit (although my photoshoppery is coming on leaps and bounds these days) so always nice to get community assistance for these (as well as the playtesting) !
:D Thanks, I'm not happy with the text I will try again soon to see if I can do better.

Ikael
June 7th, 2012, 19:48

Thanks, you're welcome to use any code within this ext and bump it into core SW, but if it's not possible I will try to keep this ext alive whenever SW core ruleset updates.

In addition, after quick feedback from not-so-awesome playtesting I decided to implement following features. Maybe I will have more awesome playtesting another day. Feel free to catch up the v0.5 extension from the first post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2562&d=1339094207).

Allow for longer module names: Module namefield in module activation display will no expand downwards and the "book" won't hide anymore
Bonuslist skillname field improvement: This field will now expand downwards if skillname is too long. In addition the label will automatically update when changing in charsheet.
Damage rolls automatically show total sum: When rolling damage, the dice outcome displays automatically the total sum.
Allows players to see other players bennies: New option was added for Host to select if bennies will be displayed at character's portaits or not. There are three values for it: No, GM and GM+PC. With No option nothing is displayed, with GM option bennies are displayed for Host only, and with GM+PC option bennies are displayed for Host and players and players can see each other's bennies.
Power points on PC portaits: New option was added for Host to select if power points will be displayed at character's portaits or not. There are three values for it: No, GM and GM+PC. With No option nothing is displayed, with GM option PPs are displayed for Host only, and with GM+PC option PPs are displayed for Host and players and players can see each other's PPS.

Doswelk
June 7th, 2012, 20:06
No stop it!

Stop adding all the cool stuff I am waiting for PW to do. If you do it I do not get to feel important any more playtesting it and knowing only I can use the new crunchy goodness :p

Mask_of_winter
June 8th, 2012, 00:12
Now as I understand it only one extension can be active at a time, is that correct?

phantomwhale
June 8th, 2012, 00:19
Heh - actaully Ikael has the advantage of throwing out features faster, as he can fix bugs and re-release fast. Although once I've got SWEX into the FGII auto-uploader as part of FGII 2.9 that gap will close...

But for now, he might be a better source of new, crunchy "cool" features, whilst I continue to make sure the baseline gets raised somewhat for everyone, and that 4E doesn't get to hog all the cool features to itself.

What's also cool is looking at the extension and seeing where he's hooked into extension-friendly APIs I've added (mainly for Deadlands) and where it's had to be a huge copy-and-paste job just to change one tiny feature. This lets me spot the bits of code that could be made far more extension friendly, and further reduce the brittleness between new version of the SWEX ruleset and user extensions.

So Ikael (and others), I also welcome feedback on anything that is a total pain to extend right now ! Although looking into the extension source code can tell quite a clear story here too :D

phantomwhale
June 8th, 2012, 00:25
Now as I understand it only one extension can be active at a time, is that correct?

Nope, as many as you like. The danger is extensions build on the core ruleset often by literally stamping over the ruleset code (not the fault of the author, simply how the code model works combined with a lack of friendly extension support in the ruleset). So if two extensions decide to stamp on the same part of the ruleset, then the result is... unpredictable !

My goal is to take good ideas and get them into the core ruleset (or provide nice integration points otherwise) to reduce this conflict. For example, the Deadlands extension actually shrunk a bit on the last update as I spent quite some time adding in nice integration points for it. But there are some areas (such as the combat tracker) that are complex beasts, and if two extensions both try and improve it, the results are likely to be chaotic !

Short answer - Maybe. Try it and see :)

Doswelk
June 8th, 2012, 00:27

I currently have 6 extensions loaded for my 50 Fathoms game:

50 Fathoms Theme
Adventure Deck
Adventure Deck Configuration (used to customise Adventure Deck)
Campaign Calendar
Cardtable (A hack to allow me to use the Deadlands poker table in non-deadlands games - we use if for chases)
Savage Worlds - Feature Improvements

Admittedly most of those extensions are not available to other people but they all add functionality to the Savage Worlds ruleset.

Things only get interesting when you load multiple extensions that modify the same things. I had had some very weird results when I run two themes at once!

Then again you can create an extension that overrides other extensions (and even require another extension to be selected before you can select it)

Sorry that became a longer reply then intended.

Mask_of_winter
June 8th, 2012, 02:24
Well thank you for the response. Hellfrost and Suzerain both feature Edges or Telesma powers that allow you to change the wild die for one trait. So I'll see if Ikael's extension and Suzerain will work together.

Edit: Just played around with it a little. No conflict between Suzerain and the v. 0.5

Great job!

Ikael
June 10th, 2012, 10:43
phantomwhale is correct about extension collapsing/clashing. It's unpreditable by default, but there is new ext feature called loadorder (which I requested from Moon_Wizard to add). With this you can determine the order of extensions loaded in and therefor you can make difference of what overrides what. However I think that commercial extension doesn't support this yet, and I haven't been testing it with exts that use it and that don't. This actually rises one new idea that the ruleset itself could have built-in feature to determine the loadorder for extension that doesn't have it!

Doswelk, sorry I cannot quit this job as I am becomming more Savaged :p
Here is list of new planned features for next iteration:

New iteratios planned features

Combat skills on front page of character sheet : allow players mark any of their skills to favored. Favored marked skills are displayed at minisheet.
Combat conditions on PC portrait: Wounds, shaken and inc are displayed on PC portraits. Host has new preference option to determine who will see these conditions.
Portrait/Token image and "ID" bubble instead of PP: PPs position re-arranged and portrait+speak bubble added
View and remove modifiers on modifier stack: Modifiers can be displayed and removed from modifierstack
Double-click 1d6 icon to throw a damage raise die: by dragging the icon, a raise damage roll will be dragged
Languages: New chat feature where hosts and players can select what language they want to use to chat. Player will also get new languagelist in their charsheet which will define which language s/he knows. Player will only understand chat messages that s/he will know, host will understand any language. Language can be selected by using drop-down-selection next to chat window. Note that this feature is similar to 4E languages ext, except that it's built-in to allow easier usage. Ie. no slashcommand, but simple selection.
Chat tone: New chat feature for host to select "tone" to use for chat messages. Tones are simply another fonts that will replace the original chat font. Host can select Tone by using drop-down-selection next to chat window.

EDIT: As a side question, does anyone have good idea about how to display wound tracking on PC portraits? I was thinking about 3 images: each has 1-3 marks of wound such as bullethole or scratch

Mask_of_winter
June 10th, 2012, 11:30
I like the scratch idea (Rippers style). Also, blood droplet, bandaids. For shaken, a cartoonish "crown" of birds or lighting. For fatigue I dont know. I got nothin lol

Ikael
June 10th, 2012, 16:05
Quick update made, and new version v0.52 can be found from here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2570&d=1339340629). I added ability to mark skills as favored, in which case they are displayed in minisheet. In addition character conditions (wounds,shaken,inc) are can be displayed on PC portraits.

scionofnyarlathotep
June 10th, 2012, 20:34
Quick update made, and new version v0.52 can be found from here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2570&d=1339340629). I added ability to mark skills as favored, in which case they are displayed in minisheet. In addition character conditions (wounds,shaken,inc) are can be displayed on PC portraits.

Woah, all this new lovliness, you're a star!

scionofnyarlathotep
June 10th, 2012, 21:01

Love the favoured skills option; much easier than trying to get some players to set up hot keys.

Doswelk
June 10th, 2012, 21:41
Right request time :)

Can you make this extension work again and add to your features list.

It adds an icon to each power in the power tab and when double-clicked rolls the correct power skill.

scionofnyarlathotep
June 10th, 2012, 22:31
If we're doing requests, is there any way to have to have the reduction to Parry for Going Wild included on the character sheet and also identified on the character portrait?

Ikael
June 11th, 2012, 20:59
Thanks for the support. I am open ears for any additional requests regarding this extension.

Doswelk, that's a good idea, since I very much like that extension and noticed that its for some reason not compatible with current SW ruleset. I wrapped and slightly updated it and here the result: v0.53 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2591&d=1339443763). This update also includes feature to drag from damageraise die (next to modifierstack) and roll to make "external damage raise roll" (which can ace).

scionofnyarlathotep, your idea is good, but I am afraid that combat tracker needs to have some better effect/condition handling until such feature is feasible to implement. I am thinkin that maybe Going Wild and other similar conditions could be effects that can be set to characters and combat tracker would handle them itself. In addition 4E like target would be required here to actually get full potential from this request. This is however at the moment out of the scope in this extension. Such request would probably suit phantomwhale better than me at the moment.

After I get into the aim with this extension I might start to plan how to improve CT for such, unless phantomwhale gets there first :)

Monkeyboy
June 12th, 2012, 15:39
possible bug. My group used extension 5 last night and FG crashed four times, always when a player rolled damage and the dice exploded a lot. Didn't happen every time but when it did it was the same thing, the dice rolls, the damage appears, fg freezes then closes for everyone. Not sure that is the extension or what, but wanted to mention it in case anyone else has the same issue. Haven't had any problems with FG for a long time and the extension is the only thing different this week.

love the extra features. Thank you very much for your work.

Ikael
June 12th, 2012, 16:18
possible bug. My group used extension 5 last night and FG crashed four times, always when a player rolled damage and the dice exploded a lot. Didn't happen every time but when it did it was the same thing, the dice rolls, the damage appears, fg freezes then closes for everyone. Not sure that is the extension or what, but wanted to mention it in case anyone else has the same issue. Haven't had any problems with FG for a long time and the extension is the only thing different this week.

love the extra features. Thank you very much for your work.

Thanks for possible report. Did you use others extensions apply with this one? From where did damage rolls made from, and how was roll was made? Dragging of double clicking? Was it with raise? What dices+modifiers damage roll consisted.

Can you check your console not output? Its written in console.log file at fg application data folder.

Monkeyboy
June 12th, 2012, 17:54
I have already restarted FG so the console log doesn't show anything from yesterday's use only today. If it happens again at my next session I will check it out before restarting and copy what is there.

I sent an email to my players asking how they rolled the damage: double click or drag and drop etc. I think every time it happened it was a raise to damage. I didn't pay attention the first two times to the details as didn't realize it was a trend that night.

thanks.

Monkeyboy
June 12th, 2012, 21:05
One of my players is off work today so he logged in and we discovered that it seems to be one of his specific damage fields that causes the crash when the dice explode. the other damage fields roll normal. the player erased the entire entry, put it back and it worked fine, until he put a modifier to the damage. Then it crashed every time it exploded. it was for a d6+d4+1 that does it for both players. Crashed it every time and we did it 5-7 times.

Below is the console document after fg crashed.
[12.06.2012 18:34:50] Runtime Notice: Initializing DirectX
[12.06.2012 18:34:51] Runtime Notice: Fantasy Grounds starting
[12.06.2012 18:35:08] Runtime Notice: Host session started
[12.06.2012 18:43:24] Network Notice: 'FuzzyDoor' connected

scionofnyarlathotep
June 12th, 2012, 22:39
Thanks for possible report. Did you use others extensions apply with this one? From where did damage rolls made from, and how was roll was made? Dragging of double clicking? Was it with raise? What dices+modifiers damage roll consisted.

Can you check your console not output? Its written in console.log file at fg application data folder.

We had the same issue tonight and as I was aware of Monkeyboy's report, I was able to get some information:

Event ID 1000
Exception Code 94 (Integer not divisible by zero)

All were instances of an exploding dice on a damage roll and the occurrences were both from clicking the weapon damage in the character sheet as well as dragging the dice on to the chat box and dropping them. Not sure if the same would occur if the dice had been dragged to a hot key and the relevant F key hit.

I will pm the three logs from eventvwr to you.

scionofnyarlathotep
June 12th, 2012, 23:07
Screen shot from tonight's session showcasing some of the new features from Ikael's patch:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=125662#post125662

phantomwhale
June 13th, 2012, 10:50
To add mystery to the "divide by zero" bug - a while back Doswelk was testing the "/table" command, and got it to crash everytime the result went over the maximum amount (via a modifier).

Odd thing was, my code dealt with this, and not only could JPG not reproduce it, I managed to reproduce it in a session ONCE, and then never again. In the end, the bug oddly "vanished".

So don't discount this being a "gremlin" issue that might not be easy to surface. That said, if you can reproduce it well and can't see why the code is misbehaving, it might be good to flag this one to JPG. But don't be surprised if the gremlin gets away again...

Doswelk
June 13th, 2012, 13:54
Last night's game crashed only once when using that attack lines added to Combat Tracker, after we restarted I did not use that option and no further issues.

As PW has put above these issues can be a pain to track and I do not want to state that it was the attacks lines, as it was a complicated fight with multiple tokens and more than one image loaded at the time.

I'll keep an eye on it.

On another note given the speed of last request fancy tackling adding the multi-layer image support option?

Ikael
June 13th, 2012, 15:08
Thanks all for the reports. I will dig into this today and report if I can find anything.

Doswelk, multi-layer image feature has been in my mind for long but I am too lazy to update the planned features :P. However I won't be dealing with it until FGv2.9 is release since it will break how it currently works in pre-2.9 versions.

Ikael
June 13th, 2012, 17:13
I was not able to reproduce the problem at all, not whatever or however I did it. In addition since "divided by zero" should not matter in LUA language I decided to throw the boomerang at healing house as new post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16680). However, could you specify some more details such as what OS version and FGII version were you using?

Monkeyboy
June 13th, 2012, 19:40
Windows 7 and FG 2.8.1

AS the dm, I could open the character sheet and roll the dice just fine. Easy enough to work around, but annoying since everything else is working great.

Just love the bullet wounds on player portraits for the wounds.

scionofnyarlathotep
June 13th, 2012, 20:11
Windows 7 and FG 2.8.1

AS the dm, I could open the character sheet and roll the dice just fine. Easy enough to work around, but annoying since everything else is working great.

Just love the bullet wounds on player portraits for the wounds.

Same for me, OS is Windows 7, FG2 version 2.8.1

Ikael
June 13th, 2012, 20:39
Since I am little trapped with gremlinish-damagedice issue, I decided to have break and implement few planned features on v5.4 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2595&d=1339615939):

Portrait/Token image and "ID" bubble instead of PP: PC portrait is now displayed in character sheet with speak-bubble which host can use to activate PC identity. In addition if you drag-and-drop TOKEN into PC portrait on charsheet or in desktop, that token becomes character's "combat token". Thereafter when you drag from PC portrait, you will drag character as "combat token". Combat token can be cleared with right menu option or clicking middle-mouse button on PC portrait on charsheet. You can also display current combat token by holding ALT down: portrait will dissapear and token is displayed there.
View and remove modifiers on modifier stack: Modifiers can be displayed and removed from modifierstack. Whenever you add modifiers to your modifierstack a small circle appears at the bottom of modifierstack. If you hover your mouse on it, it will display what modifier it is. By clicking any of those circles, you can remove that modifier from stack.

And the story goes on, trying to gather more information bout the issue. I am also running Win7 Home with 2.8.1 and tried out 2.9, but simply cannot reproduce issue even thou I have brutal force in use... Trying to get support from FG staff regarding this.

Doswelk
June 13th, 2012, 23:29
Two things about this update (I suspect they are both related):

1) You just broke all my themes :(
2) I cannot get the modifier remove/show modifier text to work (most likely as most of my themes overwrite the default modifier box code to fit the new graphics)

Ikael
June 14th, 2012, 06:02
Two things about this update (I suspect they are both related):

1) You just broke all my themes :(
2) I cannot get the modifier remove/show modifier text to work (most likely as most of my themes overwrite the default modifier box code to fit the new graphics)

This is one thing that I hate about extension development, but we have to live with it. What I would love to see is generic developer-aimed way for developers to easily see WHAT windowclasses and SCRIPTS are overwritten in each extension without having to see their real content. This would be especially useful for commercial extension, so I could list beforehand possible conflicts when using ext X, Y and Z.

Can you give me more details about what's broken? I have tested this ext with your Fantasy theme extension and no issues were found.

Following windowclases were updated in the latest patch:

<windowclass name="modifierstack">
<windowclass name="charsheet_header">

Is your theme extensions overriding one of these windowclasses? And in what order does your chat log launcher messages? Does your theme's launcher text appear before or after this ext's launcher message?

Basically if you override modifierstack windowclass you will lose this feature (since the script 'scripts/modifierstack_base.lua' was updated ), that cannot be helped, but it's one feature that you will lose (not important in most cases).

Ikael
June 14th, 2012, 06:04
On another note, the bug issue mentioned above seemed to get fixed thanks to superior FG staff! See the post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16680)

Moon Wizard
June 14th, 2012, 07:37
When I developed the theme extensions for 3.5E and 4E, I specifically only changed framedef, font and icon entries. Changing anything else for a theme is always going to be a challenge.

JPG

Monkeyboy
June 14th, 2012, 16:07
you guys rock. Thanks very much for the bug fix and a great product.

Doswelk
June 14th, 2012, 16:42
Can you give me more details about what's broken? I have tested this ext with your Fantasy theme extension and no issues were found.
Ah Fantasy I'll give that a go, basically the issue is (and I have not spent any real time looking at it) that the icons are in the wrong place (because I changed the x,y values in my theme) but more strangely is that the pop up values are not being displayed.

I'll run it in Vanilla mode and try the Fantasy theme to see why that works when the others do not...

I do not want to give the impression that I am in any way unhappy with your hard work, but I suppose it does highlight the fun and games PW and I have had in the past making sure everything still all works together. :o

Ikael
June 15th, 2012, 12:13
Ah Fantasy I'll give that a go, basically the issue is (and I have not spent any real time looking at it) that the icons are in the wrong place (because I changed the x,y values in my theme) but more strangely is that the pop up values are not being displayed.

I'll run it in Vanilla mode and try the Fantasy theme to see why that works when the others do not...

I do not want to give the impression that I am in any way unhappy with your hard work, but I suppose it does highlight the fun and games PW and I have had in the past making sure everything still all works together. :o

If possible, you you grab some screenshots regarding "brokeness" of your theme, such as what there should be and how it is after this extension? -- I would love to try out if I could help out.

Another think, actually its a vote, which one would you prefer: (1) Chatwindow as it currently is (small with static height), (2) Chatwindow which height could scale automatically according to FG application height, and basically it would fill out the empty space of left side, (3) Joshuha's style: Ability to move and resize the chatwindow.

And about doing these:
1) already exists and is compatible with theme extensions
2) I can do it in 2 minutes, but it's not compatible with theme extensions (because for some reason SW has defined chatwindow to have static framedefs :confused: )
3) Takes some reasearch time and some amount of time for implementation and it's not compatible with theme extensions either for the same reason.

these compatibility issues are managable by two ways: 1) do not use theme's chat window, instead use re-desgined chatwindow with dynamic framedefs, 2) create new extension that has dependency for theme extension and it would re-work the chatwindow as it should be.

Doswelk
June 15th, 2012, 12:27
Given that most of my theme chat windows are designed as single fixed images, I am biased to keeping it as it is, but I know that is not realistic.

I actually hate the scale to stupid size chat window in 3.5e/4e and would much rather a movable manually resizeable style.

Then I'll have to re-do all my graphics :p

Ikael
June 15th, 2012, 13:02
I did my research, and implemented first draft of Joshuha's stylished chatwindow that supports moving and resizing, but also added some MS Window7 style feature such as if you move your window to left side, then it will anchor there and take default size etc. I will play with this little bit more and then decided wheter it has drawbacks but now it seems very promising

Ikael
June 15th, 2012, 16:42
Here first proof-of-concept regarding movable & re-sizable chatwindow for SW. This extension itself contains only this features, and because I don't have much experience with such feature, I would love to share this as simple-package for playtesting purposes. If it turns out to be successful I will be including it to Feature Improvements extension. Please feel free to give feeback about it. This will override any theme extensions chatwindow frames.

Feateures:

Drag chatwindow to move it
hold CTRL down and drag from rightbottom to re-size
Right click and select option 1 to achor it to its regular place with maximum possible height

EDIT: attachment removed, since new was added later on this thread.

Griogre
June 15th, 2012, 19:48
Just wanted to mention 4E and 3.5/Pathfinder have movable and resizeable chat windows in 2.9, you might want to take a look at them.

Moon Wizard
June 15th, 2012, 21:14
I believe that the implementation in 3.5E/4E is much simpler, since I built-in a few features to make it easier with v2.9. Take a look.

Regards,
JPG

Ikael
June 15th, 2012, 22:11
Dang! I didn't know that there is that much more magic behind dynamic and locked tags in panels! It simply does what I did by hand, except that it does it better :) And since this is FG built-in feature now, I don't hesitate on including it directly into the main extension.

Thanks Moon_Wizard for great v2.9! Is there documentation planned for this release-- would defenitely streamline development

Moon Wizard
June 15th, 2012, 22:48
That's next up on my to do list. Updated developer documentation, and then updated manuals.

Cheers,
JPG

Ikael
June 15th, 2012, 23:39
In addition to dynamic chat window, here is initial proof-of-concept implementaion of 3-layer image feature for SW ruleset. This is barely tested at the moment but will be laterwards when I get to know more with FG v2.9. Meanwhile you can try to give a shot for this, but I won't promise a thing yet.

Ikael
June 16th, 2012, 12:46
SWFI-extnesion v0.55 is here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2603&d=1339846895). Features added include moveable & re-sizable chatwindow, and some changes to minitracker. In addition I refactured the extension structure completely so other devleopers could more easily find what pieces of code were changed to get feature A working. I added the featurelist into extension.xml file and give short ticketnames for each feature. These tickets are thereafter referred in XML-piece of code. Enjoy.

scionofnyarlathotep
June 16th, 2012, 16:43
SWFI-extnesion v0.55 is here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2603&d=1339846895). Features added include moveable & re-sizable chatwindow, and some changes to minitracker. In addition I refactured the extension structure completely so other devleopers could more easily find what pieces of code were changed to get feature A working. I added the featurelist into extension.xml file and give short ticketnames for each feature. These tickets are thereafter referred in XML-piece of code. Enjoy.

Are you able to add the facility to minimize the chat window once it has been unlocked?

scionofnyarlathotep
June 16th, 2012, 20:14
I've encountered a disconnect between the latest patch and the updated Rippers download.

If the patch is enabled, it must overwrite the PC sheet that doswelk has developed that includes Reason and Status on the character sheet. The sheet reverts to the usual SW character sheet.

Ikael
June 16th, 2012, 22:13
I noticed this issue today when seeing screenshots of Ripper-extension, in which character sheet's main tabpage was updated to have Reason and Status. Now there is no win-win solution for this atm, unless you do some coding yourself. What you can do here is to edit ripper extension's extension.xml file and add one line within properties:

<loadorder>15</loadorder>

SWFI uses loadorder 10, so basically setting up any loadorder value > 10 to any other extension will make sure that that extension will override SWFI in parts where conflicts will raise. For example when both extension want to override charsheet_main.xml file, the one with greater loadorder-value will win here.

However like I said, it's not win-win, because when you do so, you will lose all features implemented to that very piece of code in SWFI. Thou in this case I bet the only feature lost would be the "Fighting-skill clearing bug"-- so we're not talking about big loses.

If you need more help doing this small change to your ripper extension, I can help more. It's easy to do and has no other side-effects .

Ikael
June 17th, 2012, 18:45
SWFI v0.56 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2606&d=1339954879) is available now. This update contain language-feature and several minor improvements to weapons/powers listing.

EDIT: about langauges feature the flow goes like this: Host can either pre-register available languages by providing extension, or s/he can create them from FG gui by clicking the new shortcut button on right top coner. Languages must be defined before they can be used. Host can use any existing language, and players can use only language that character knows/has. Players can assign languages to their characters by dragging-and-dropping language from the language list to characters sheet. There is new frame available at charsheet's note tabpage called "Languages". Languages can be added there only by dragging from the main language list. To use a language player/host can select one to use drop-menu at chat window's bottom right corner. When language is selected, all in-game chat messages are delivered to other as specific language message. Host will understand any language, but other players will only understand message if they have that very language in their list.

Ikael
June 19th, 2012, 20:24
SWFI v0.57 can be downloaded from this link (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2619&d=1340133269). Focus on this update was to add option to allow disabling language feature, and improving PC ally features. Ally features include:
* The ability for PCs to talk as Allies: Enabled when ally is dragged-and-dropped to charsheet's allylist.
* Renaming an Ally doesn't transfer to the Tracker: In addition when NPC is dragged to PC's allylist any other NPC information can be changed and thus ally can be customized to be very personal, instead of being just a link.

I just noticed that I am almost at my initial goal with this extension, but several new things have showed up so there are lots of things to do. However I am off to my short holiday now and all development will cease for that duration. If you happen to encounter any issues or have additional requests I am still around here to listen up.

kleinksw
June 20th, 2012, 15:03
Many thanks, Ikael, for all the cool feature implementation. Enjoy your holiday!

nezzir
June 23rd, 2012, 20:19
You know what I'd like to see most of all? Random tables that pull from external files. I've never been able to figure out how to do it. I think it would be neat to be able to make a list in a text file then randomly generate an entry from it. Maybe open a window with the list in it that has a button you can click to randomly generate an entry. I think all rulesets would benefit from this tool.

Alternately, an entry window like personalities or items that you could create a list in, then click a button to randomly generate a result from the table.

Example:
Click the 'Random Table' icon.
Create new table.
Paste a list into it.
Click button to randomly select from the list.

If you included an export feature you'd end up with people making huge lists of random things like scars, facial features, taunts, encounters, treasure, etc., then sharing them to be imported into other campaigns.

It's the only tool I really miss in Fantasy Grounds.

Ikael
June 24th, 2012, 19:59
This is very doable and if I recall right, this has been implemented in 4E tables extension. This is actually good feature idea for SWFI. In my vision host should be able to create tables via FG interface and export them into modules. Thereafter these tables could be easily shared to others as modules. SW rulesets static tables could be converted to use this method to allow host to adjust them more easily.

phantomwhale
June 25th, 2012, 00:07
Massive Applause to Ikael (yet again) for organising the extension as he has. It makes it very easy to pull in the bits I want to include in the core ruleset, without needing to read through the whole extension code.

Expect much of the "must haves" and bug fixes in 3.3, and then the rest to be added (or rejected) for 3.4

nezzir
June 25th, 2012, 00:24
This is very doable and if I recall right, this has been implemented in 4E tables extension. This is actually good feature idea for SWFI. In my vision host should be able to create tables via FG interface and export them into modules. Thereafter these tables could be easily shared to others as modules. SW rulesets static tables could be converted to use this method to allow host to adjust them more easily.

Awesome! When you're considering this code, it would be nice if you could decide how many entries you want to produce (how many times you want it to roll on the table).

If you wanted to expand on that, you could build in the ability to set up a "Preset Roll" ahead of time, much like you set up a Combat before running the game. I'm thinking in terms of the ruleset I'm working on now, the "Savage Fallout" ruleset. For example, if I wanted to generate "treasure" for a dead enemy I could tell it to roll x number of times on the Misc Table and x number on the Ammo Table. Perhaps even have a button to transfer the results to the chat window after the GM approves the roll.

Man... I wish I weren't such a coding nub. I have so many ideas but lack the skill set to implement them :)

Thank you.
--Nez

AMonkeyWithAFez
June 25th, 2012, 15:25
I don't know if this is already known, but the powers tab has question marks next to each power on a character and if you click on them you receive an error.

Script Error: [string "scripts/chatmanager.lua"]:42: throwDice: Invalid parameters

Everything looks great! especially all the dice rolling functionality in the combat tracker for GM controlled characters, that alone is huge!

Mask_of_winter
June 25th, 2012, 15:35
You have to right click on the ? And select which Arcane Background they use. Once that's done it will roll the corresponding skill. Faith, Psionics, Spellcasting, Weird Science, etc.

AMonkeyWithAFez
June 25th, 2012, 15:38
You have to right click on the ? And select which Arcane Background they use. Once that's done it will roll the corresponding skill. Faith, Psionics, Spellcasting, Weird Science, etc.

Awesome! that worked great. My players are gonna love this!

That was probably written in the description of the extension on one of the pages of the thread huh? just like me to just plow through without looking :) did that this weekend when I was replacing the burner tubes on my Weber grill... took the screws out when I shouldn't have... it was written right there in the instructions :o

Ikael
June 25th, 2012, 18:48
The feature works as maskofwinter described, but I need to fix the unselected type issue as it should not occur as it does. Then regarding this extension/feature documentation, it has not been done. Documentation is very slow and difficult to do unless you have proper tools for doing it and I Don't have any. Any help in doing this is supreme-approciated, otherwise it might take long while before I get anything out

dberkompas
June 25th, 2012, 22:58
What type of tools are you meaning? I can try to either help procure a legal copy, or may already have said tools from my business.

BoomerET

Ikael
June 26th, 2012, 09:53
Previously I have done documents using MS Office '07 and I can export it to pdf and to html page, but doing the documentation has been difficult because I am not proficient with those tools, and het I tend to aim to perfection :p For instace, importing and handling images to docs requires some good practises. I was more interested to hear what tool people use to produce docs

phantomwhale
June 26th, 2012, 16:36
I use Snagit for screen grabs, then open office to lay it out, and save that as PDF.

What stops me producing super-awesome documentation is partly the lack of a base to build off (e.g. do I need to explain the basics of menu operations, that are really FG core concepts), partly because it must be perfect (yeah, yeah, I know) but also partly as it takes a LONG time to do; time that could be spent on documentation (which will then slowly go out of date) or on producing a few more features.

If only there was some collaborative, wiki-like way of building up documentation and adding to it, but I'm not sure how easy that would be, or how many people would be keen to contribute.

Certainly it's a gap in the Savage Worlds offering right now - so I fully understand a homebrew, free, extension not having the same offering ! I'd rather have new features (for me to integrate).

P.S. the documentation in the code is SUPERB. Really helped me pull in 3-4 features super-fast this week.

dberkompas
June 27th, 2012, 08:04
There's a 'snipping' tool built into Win7. It's under accessories. Similar to SnagIt.

Made the switch to Libre Office when rights for Open Office went south.

BoomerET

Ikael
June 27th, 2012, 16:09
Glad to hear that doc-tags within extension has helped out migrating work :) If you have any questions realted to feature implementaions, don't hesitate to ask. The more features there are in core ruleset the better :). And then about documentation tools, like phantomwhale stated, creating detailed documentation is very low priority for me because implementing these features is just a hobby for me and some sort of mental-care compared to regular workforce I do (with lots of documentation) :P Wiki-based documentaion would be totally awesome, especially if it's enhanced with HTML5 goodies. However since there is no such tool atm I will have to try doing MS Word-based doc some day. dberkompas, thanks for the tip! I will try that out.

Moon Wizard
June 27th, 2012, 19:06
I've been thinking about making the manuals wiki-based, but I haven't found a great solution yet. Right now, I'm thinking about perhaps just using a base MediaWiki install, without worrying about theming or locking down access, which are the main things that were headaches with MediaWiki.

I'm open to suggestions, if you guys have seen any good ones for crowdsourced documentation.

Thanks,
JPG

Monkeyboy
June 30th, 2012, 16:26
Just wanted to say that everything is working great and my group loves all the features. Big thanks PhantomWhale and Ikael for the savage worlds work. Thanks to moonwizard for trouble shooting things so quickly.

game on.

dstuffle
June 30th, 2012, 23:38
I just installed this extension (SWFI-v057) and when I launched FG2 I get a console window pop up with the message "Script Error: [string "scripts/updated_desktopmanager.lua"]:93: bad argument #2 to 'insert' (number expected, got string)
"
Any troubleshooting hints?

Further testing points to this being a conflict between the SWFI-v057 and the Savage Worlds ruleset unofficial patches extension.

dstuffle
July 1st, 2012, 02:11

How would this work for a Martial arts (Chi Mastery) power in Deadlands?

Doswelk
July 1st, 2012, 08:21
As it is written it won't.

This was an extension written a while back before the Deadlands ruleset existed, the extension "died" a couple of FGii updates back.

Ikael just got it working again in his group of add-ons.

To get a Deadlands version I'd post a request on PW's Savage Worlds Request list. (https://savagefgii.idea.informer.com/)

phantomwhale
July 26th, 2012, 12:33
I just installed this extension (SWFI-v057) and when I launched FG2 I get a console window pop up with the message "Script Error: [string "scripts/updated_desktopmanager.lua"]:93: bad argument #2 to 'insert' (number expected, got string)
"
Any troubleshooting hints?

Further testing points to this being a conflict between the SWFI-v057 and the Savage Worlds ruleset unofficial patches extension.

The Savage Worlds ruleset unofficial patches was written be me for SavageWorlds version 3.0.8 - since 3.1 onwards they have been folded into the main ruleset.

So the easy answer is get rid of it ! It's no longer of any use. Wish I locked it down to just version 3.0.8, but I was young and foolish then...

phantomwhale
July 26th, 2012, 12:34
How would this work for a Martial arts (Chi Mastery) power in Deadlands?

Martial Arts in Deadlands currently rolls the skill that has the same name as the power (e.g. for the Armor power, add on an Armor skill).

So hopefully there is no need to include this in the ruleset, unless your trying to do something wacky / out of the ordinary.

Ikael
July 26th, 2012, 13:53
Martial Arts in Deadlands currently rolls the skill that has the same name as the power (e.g. for the Armor power, add on an Armor skill).

So hopefully there is no need to include this in the ruleset, unless your trying to do something wacky / out of the ordinary.

I am not sure if I am stepping on other's toes here, but if you're using this extension, then I presume that chimaster acts like super powes. So basically you need to select your power to be "super power" for you chi master, and if you have a skill named similar to your power it would work like it should. The skill name should START WITH case-insensitively as your power's name. For instance Super Power named to Omnislash would link to skill that's names to Omnislash of Heaven or just omnislash (remember it's case-insensitive, so no need to worry about capital letters!)

Tryll
July 27th, 2012, 06:11
I guess I've jumped the gun saying that the Combat encounters functionality was working correctly for us. It appears to be half working. The encounters panel does add the NPCs to the combat tracker, and does return them to their map positions... but the two appear to be disconnected. The tracker's entries do not relate to the map placed tokens... so the tracker tokens must be dragged out to the map to replace the ones added by the encounter window.

It works out OK, if cumbersome, to not use the map placement functionality, add the NPCs to the tracker with the "add to tracker" button, and then drag them out to the map.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the "extension extension", but I'm hoping we see SWEX 3.3's version of the encounter window soon. Full functionality of that feature is really helpful for gamemasters wanting the full benefit of preparing their games in advance.

Doswelk
July 27th, 2012, 07:42
I too have been having problems with the Combat Encounters function, that said I have seen PW's 3.3 version in action (at FGIICon) and his tweaked version appeared to work.

That said Ikael's contributions have improved my players (and mine) experience of FGII SW no end and I would like to thank him again for his efforts.

@Ikael you are indeed correct about how to use the Powers extension and Deadlands Martial Arts.

phantomwhale
July 28th, 2012, 04:41
Pretty sure I just copied in what Ikael did in my extension - I'll have to take a closer look (and get a copy out for playtest soon too).

Certainly when I hit "add to tracker", the tokens all get put onto the map where I'd previously placed them, and they do seem linked to the tracker. So not sure what I've done that Ikael hasn't as, like I say, I'm pretty sure that was a straight copy and paste job for me !

Doswelk
July 28th, 2012, 11:46
The last couple of times I have clicked add to combat tracker and they have been added to the tracker and the map.

But the players cannot see the tokens on the map.

phantomwhale
July 28th, 2012, 11:58
That's probably because when NPCs are added to the combat tracker, they are "invisible" by default - they will probably appear for players when you click the "eye" icon at the top of the tracker.

Tryll
July 28th, 2012, 15:24
No, that's just it. Just like Doswelk, everything get's added, but even changing their visibility does not show them to the players. The players will not see them until you drag fresh ones from the tracker.

phantomwhale
July 28th, 2012, 15:35
Ah - well, it'll work for 3.3 then ! Not sure what I did that Ikael didn't... the combat tracker has already had some refactoring work done on it for 3.3 (to help facilitate a SWD Chase Tracker) so there are some code differences in play already.

Griogre
July 28th, 2012, 19:00
Ikael, would you mind moving the module title text a pixel or so to the right in the module activation window? The module thumbnail is really a square and you can see from the the following image the text touches or overlaps the Pirates module's thumbnails and the NE ones as well, though its not as obvious as the black on black Pirate's one. The secondary author text seems fine.

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/ModuleActivation2.png

Ikael
August 1st, 2012, 15:23
Hi everyone again, I just want you to know that my vacation session is over and I am returning back developing SWFI extension.

Tryll, I will take a look on Combat feature and try if I can find the issue
Griogre, I will fix the issue you reported

In addition to these I have decided to start development with some smaller (not so hard-functional) additional features, such as:

Unskilled skill-entry should be generated automatically to PC charsheet. This entry would always be the last skill entry in the list and it cannot be removed or renamed, but it's modifier can be edited.
Improving chatentry auto-complete feature to scope PC names, NPC names and ally names (at least I as GM tend to write NPC names often so it would speed up writing)
GM should be able to DRAG a card from decktool and drop it anywhere where cards would go. Mainly this is for dragging on PC portraits to share the card, on combat tracker as action card etc. This would be alternative way to share cards, since I prefer dragging instead of handling card with menu options. This method would also allow GM to see the card before it's assigned. If the card is not set anywhere it's returned to the deck.
Character's current action/initiative card should be displayed on his/her portrait. This would be benefical in non-combat dramatic tasks.
Create new skills, edges and hindarances within FG interface and share them to players like any other library entries.

After these I am going to look on rollable table feature

Tryll
August 1st, 2012, 16:24
Thanks for the update information, Ikael. Sounds like good stuff!

Ikael
August 1st, 2012, 16:52
I guess I've jumped the gun saying that the Combat encounters functionality was working correctly for us. It appears to be half working. The encounters panel does add the NPCs to the combat tracker, and does return them to their map positions... but the two appear to be disconnected. The tracker's entries do not relate to the map placed tokens... so the tracker tokens must be dragged out to the map to replace the ones added by the encounter window.

It works out OK, if cumbersome, to not use the map placement functionality, add the NPCs to the tracker with the "add to tracker" button, and then drag them out to the map.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the "extension extension", but I'm hoping we see SWEX 3.3's version of the encounter window soon. Full functionality of that feature is really helpful for gamemasters wanting the full benefit of preparing their games in advance.

Can you specify more about this issue? -- What FG version did you use, did you export you combat encounter to module and use it in other campaign, did you get any other error messages?

I found out one possible cause of this, but symtoms doesn't match excatly but I think it could cause your issue.

Tryll
August 1st, 2012, 17:02
As explained later in the thread, the _actual_ issue is that the players never see the tokens which were added via the encounters tool. Everything goes into place in the tracker and the map. The tracker can toggle the visibility of the tokens on the map, change their size, etc. But no matter what I do, the players never see the tokens. It is as though they aren't there.

If I drag one in from the tracker, the original one is automatically removed, and replaced... and then the player's systems can see it. It seems like maybe some flag is not being set on the token for player display... but I really haven't looked into how this all works well enough to say.

In our case we're using the latest stuff... FG 2.9.1, SWEX 3.2, and SWFI .57

Our test systems were both Macs, running FG in Crossover (Wine).

Dakadin
August 1st, 2012, 17:11
I encountered a similar issue with the Rolemaster Classic ruleset. I don't know if it is related but wanted to give a bit of background in case it helps solve the problem.

Basically if I had a map that was already shared with the players and added an encounter the tokens weren't getting added to the client view. I tried finding it in the Rolemaster ruleset but I wasn't having any luck so I tried it using 4E. I was able to replicate the issue in 4E so I had to escalate it to JPG. He put a fix in v2.9.1 for it that resolved the issue for Rolemaster and 4E.

It might be related so if you can replicate it consistently I would recommend trying it out in another ruleset also.

Tryll
August 1st, 2012, 18:50
From Dakadin's description, it sounds the same issue.

Reading between the lines, I guess the workaround would be to add the encounter to the map before having the map shared with the players. We're going to test this here today to see if that is the (more specific) behavior we see in SW as well.

Thanks for the heads-up, Dakadin.

I'll post results from that test, probably later today.

Tryll
August 2nd, 2012, 03:48
OK, from our tests tonight, it would appear that I'm full of... it.

The encounters panel worked fine... however, several parameters were not the same so it is tough to tell. We were using a different campaign, different remote connections...

I'm positive this gave us the described issues previously, but today, it seemed to work OK. I'll keep an eye on this... is it possible this was fixed in FG 2.9.1 by JPG?

Dakadin
August 2nd, 2012, 04:53
I encountered the issue with 2.9 but it was resolved in 2.9.1.

Griogre
August 2nd, 2012, 04:56
There was an issue similar to what you described that happened to me in my 4E game. I think it had to do with masks and pre-placement. It seems fixed in 2.9.1 so I think JPG did do something.

Edit: Out typed by Dakadin. :p

Tryll
August 2nd, 2012, 21:33
Awesome. I'm going to put encounters back into my process, and do some serious testing. "Encounters" makes GM'ing a lot easier.

Ikael
August 4th, 2012, 18:39
Initial SWFI v0.58 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2827&d=1344165888) can be downloaded from the first page of this thread. Included features are:

Unskilled skill-entry should be generated automatically for all PCs.
Chat entry's auto-complate (tab), in addition to PC names, will now scope GM identities, PC allies. To use this feature, type few initial letters of identity you're looking for and hit tab. Normally you get first possible result and no way to continue search, but now when you keep pressing tab it will provide you all possible hits based on your initial search criteria. In addition when you hold down SHIFT and press tab, the search will return previous hit.
Library indexlist width was set incorrectly so that all entry names were cut off slight from the end. Fixed!
Module selection's module name position was set incorrectly. Fixed!
Create new entries to library using FG interface and use them as any other library entry. This can be used to create new edges, hindarances and skills on the run and they work the same way library entries work. To use this feature open any existing module of yours, and head to skilllist, edgelist or to hindarancelist, there you can right click and select 'create new'. You can also remove your created entries. Note that when you create entry it will be bind to existing module. You can also export these entries into own modules.

Note that this initial version is not yet tested properly and I would approciate if someone could give some tryout for these new features meanwhile I continue development.

Some future notes related to these features and other plans:

In addition of creating new library entries, there should be possiblity to make copies of existing entries.
Exporting create library entries to module works fine, but clients have troubles detecting these entries from library. I gotts find a way to make clients be holders for module database nodes also
I will drop previously mentioned card-related features off the list since they require lots of integration work between different parts of code and since phantomwhale is setting SW3.3 in the box I will prefer to wait for that update before doing any integration work. Basically that brings the rollable tables on the top of my list when I fix last issues regarding latest features.

Tryll
August 4th, 2012, 19:01
I like the incremental updates, and the approach with regard to SWEX compatibility.

We'll fire this up later today for some testing, and if that works out, we'll test it in a larger session tomorrow. :square:

Tryll
August 5th, 2012, 03:12
Ok, ran some initial tests.

Unskilled entries are added automatically to PC sheets. Nice.

The Library index list, and module selections lay out much nicer now. Good.

A little finicky about creating new library entries (due to the module ownership stuff), but it does work... I added a new edge so far, and it worked anyway. Pretty cool.

As far as the chat entry auto-complete... well, I don't really know what that does. What would I enter into the chat window to make this happen? Do I need a slash command in advance of the character name or something?

Looking good so far.

Ikael
August 5th, 2012, 09:34
As far as the chat entry auto-complete... well, I don't really know what that does. What would I enter into the chat window to make this happen? Do I need a slash command in advance of the character name or something?

Improved chatentry autocomplete work as regular FGII autocomplete feature. For example if there are PCs/PC allies/GM Identities named: Stallonen, Stillonen, Stollonen you can autocomplete their names in chatentry by typing few initial identity letters and hit the TAB. Normally in FGII autocomplete you will get only the first possible match and that's it (let's assume that the first one would be Stallonen). When you type st to chat and hit the tab, that st will be autocompleted into Stallonen (so no need to write/remember the whole name). In the new improved version when you type st and hit the tab you would get Stallonen as normally, but you can also search more by hitting tab. On the second time you would get Stillonen and on third tab time you would get Stollonen. If you would hold SHIFT down and hit tab you would get the previous hit: Stillonen.

Note that the search will match on any existing (not only active) PC/PC's ally/GM Identity, and the number of possibilities can be huge. That's why continued search feature is essential.

Ikael
August 5th, 2012, 11:11
A little finicky about creating new library entries (due to the module ownership stuff), but it does work... I added a new edge so far, and it worked anyway. Pretty cool.

Small note about this. The problem is only when you have create library entry, exported it into own module and activated in use for your other campaign. In that case players doesn't see new entries (yet!), However if GM create new entries in his/her current campaign, they are automatically visible for players. So if you need to quickly create ad-hoc skill, edge or hindarance the feature works well for it. But if you're planning on creating extensive set of own customized edges and hindarances and use them in any other campaign you will run in troubles.

After having some research how to resolve this, it's managable but I would like to find more sound way than brute force, so it might take slightly little longer to develope.

EDIT: I uploaded new version of SWFI v0.58 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2827&d=1344165888) which contains one possible work-around for this issue. Note sure if it's the best possible solutions but it works for me

scionofnyarlathotep
August 5th, 2012, 21:37
As much as I like being able to see wounds on character portraits, it does obscure the portrait. Can I suggest an alternative that I have recently encountered in the Rolemaster combat tracker.

Combat participants in the RM tracker have a coloured circle which changes depending on how damaged they are. If they do not have any damage, there is no indicator, slight damage it is a green indicator, through yellow to black for unconscious.

Can something like this be incorporated instead so you can instantly have a visual indicator on the tracker of how wounded participants are? Maybe a re circle with a number to indicated the number of wounds taken? Perhaps this could be extended to have another indicator for shaken, fatigued?

It would be even better if the tokens on the map had the same indication but I realize that this would need linking the characters to tokens (as we do not drag and drop portraits as tokens).

Tryll
August 6th, 2012, 02:43
As far as I can tell, this "chat tab" magic doesn't do anything at all on Mac. Not just the features that are being added to this extension, I don't think it does *anything* in FG when used on a Mac, so this one, I don't think I can test.

kdietri
August 16th, 2012, 01:02
Sorry if this has been mentioned, coming late to the party.

But when the most recent version of your extension is activated, it makes the fate chips functionality for Deadlands ruleset not work for characters.

phantomwhale
August 16th, 2012, 01:05
Getting multiple extensions to play well together is quite hard - I wouldn't expect the features enhancements extension to work 100% with DL:R extension right now (unless Ikael or others want to offer a DLR specific patch, of course)

That said, I am going through the exercise of pulling out some of the core feature down into the core SWEX ruleset, and DLR (and other published extensions) will be updated to work with them.

Indarien
August 21st, 2012, 02:54
I just want to say "Thanks!" for putting this together. I see that the chat window can be moved and resized now and that is a nice benefit for my group. The other features are very useful, especially the ability to search through names by using Tab, since I have multiple characters whose names start with "T"

Necron99
August 22nd, 2012, 00:05
Can't wait for the ability to add weapons and gear to the guides. I am starting a Traveller campaign, and getting all of those guns drag-n-drop would be a huge time saver.

Love the improvements, thanks for all of your hard work.

Ikael
August 25th, 2012, 18:50
Thanks for the support!

unless Ikael or others want to offer a DLR specific patch, of course

Unfortunately DL:R is not my pieace of bread, and I don't own the product, so I won't be including DL:R compability. However whenever core SWEX or upcomming SWD changes, I will keepup compability, and thus since phantomwhale is moving some features from DL:R into core ruleset, this extenions might become more compatible with DL:R :)

Can't wait for the ability to add weapons and gear to the guides. I am starting a Traveller campaign, and getting all of those guns drag-n-drop would be a huge time

This is _the_ one thing that I want to implement, but at the very moment my time is consumed by other factors and I have decided to wait until phantomwhale releases next SWEX ruleset version. BTW, Any news regarding this :) When can we have new version at our fingertips?

phantomwhale
August 26th, 2012, 01:26
Testing the Chase Tracker for SWD today. If that works, it's off for playtesting today (along with the SWEX update that supports SWD and adds a few of your features). Typically that means 2-4 weeks until release - unless it has bugs :O

heyhogan
September 5th, 2012, 02:38
Ikael, thanks for the fantastic extension! I was so disappointed when I found out that the Savage Worlds ruleset did not have an "encounters" option. With this extension, I feel I have my adventures more ready-to-go. Thanks!!!
:D

Doswelk
September 6th, 2012, 16:19
3.3 is looking low on bugs at the moment.

The Chase tool is awesome and made the chase much easier!

Oh well back to play-testing/bug hunting :)

Zetesofos
November 4th, 2012, 16:09
So, I"m not sure if this was quite answered, but for some reason, but I'm getting ruleset and script errors, predominatly when trying to open or operate the combat tracker - I've isolated it to the extention, and from what I can tell, even if don't open my own modules (using just stock SWEX players guide), I still get the errors.

As a shortcut, I"m tempted to just remove the script for loading the combat tracker, but I'm still pretty new to the coding thing, and am wondering what fixes someone could walk me throug - assuming this can be reproduced. Below is a copy of the intial console debug erros:

Ruleset Error: Control 'globalactivateoffensive' anchoring to an undefined control 'globalactivatespacing'
Ruleset Error: Control 'globalactivateoffensive' anchoring to an undefined control 'globalactivatespacing'
Ruleset Error: Control 'globalactivatehidden' anchoring to an undefined control 'globalactivateeffects'
Ruleset Error: Control 'globalactivatehidden' anchoring to an undefined control 'globalactivateeffects'
Ruleset Warning: Could not find template defensivetoggle
Ruleset Warning: Could not find template spacingtoggle
Ruleset Warning: Could not find template effectstoggle
Ruleset Error: Control 'activateoffensive' anchoring to an undefined control 'activatespacing'
Ruleset Error: Control 'activateoffensive' anchoring to an undefined control 'activatespacing'
Script Error: [string "scripts/updated_combattracker_grouplist.lua"]:39: attempt to call field 'firstCombatant' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "scripts/updated_combattracker_grouplist.lua"]:16: attempt to call field 'getActiveCombatant' (a nil value)

Any help is appreciated

Edit: Update - removing that didn't work - at this point I'm at a loss; Upon further review, the combat tracker simply doesn't work for me - it does assign a turn for a player, allow adjustment of wounds, display any information about toughness - the only thing I can do is change the name, and add/delete entities. I'm hoping that with 3.3 hopefully around the corner, a lot of these issues will go away, but again if anyone has any quick fixes or suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Edit 2: (I started taking programing classes after playing with SWEX .xml files, and finding it almost fun - but, after only a few weeks, I haven't learned enough to be familiar in most of what is needed). As a jumpstart, I think I might have found the general area of the problem related to the console (for some reason, the ruleset errors don't point more specifically to the file and line of code that is amiss). If I"m reading this right, then I found code in the utility_combattracker.xml in the SW3.pak file. Around line 1360, I see functions for global controls, activate defensive, hidden, etc.

Considering that part of the problem I was having was not seeing the main toggle icons for defense, space, and neutrality, I am making the educated guess that this area of code is to blame. However, I don't know what function is exactly wrong, and how to make it right. Hope this helps.

Edit 3: Also found similar code possibly relating to issue arond line 100 in SWFI-v058\updated_utility\combatttracker.xml

Edit 4: Also, one other error keeps coming up when I access the module layout - with the extension activated, I can't actually move anything on the module window (force load icons, or activate/deactivate mods) - instead the window just moves around as if it is a single object.

Script Error: [string "moduleselection:list"]:1: attempt to call field 'onLayout' (a nil value)

Signed ~ Newbie Debugger

phantomwhale
November 4th, 2012, 20:45
Zetesofos - it's worth understanding that extensions that alter the basic elements of a ruleset, like this one, need to to this by often copy and pasting chunks of code due to the coding model. Whilst this isn't awful, it can make them brittle when there is a ruleset upgrade.

So with that in mind, I'm going to guess that the Savage Worlds v3.3 update went out last night. Which means you can pretty much assume most things in this extension will be broken until it can be updated - probably by going into the 3.3 code, copying out the same sections that were adjusted, and then applying those adjustments.

That said, 3.3 does include SOME of the features of this extensions (most of the basic enhancements and bug fixes) so an update may only need to fix up half of the features.

TL;DR - this extension will NOT work with the latest SWEX ruleset until it has been updated.

Ikael
November 4th, 2012, 23:00
Since SW 3.3 is out there I am ready to start working with this extension again! First thing is to make it compatible again and then add new features. Phantom, do you have a list of 3.3 features and fixed that were adopted from this ext? Those are no longer needed to be maintained here.

phantomwhale
November 4th, 2012, 23:12
From memory (can probably check the code and tidy this up) I've added in :

"Encounters" as per other rulesets
Allow players to drag text onto portraits to whisper to other players
PC export into xml file
Revert module to original form
"Clear die" on Fighting Skill causes an error
Activating a combatant via the mini-tracker throws error
Dock/Stack shortcut registering with index
Allow for longer module names
Damage rolls automatically show total sum
Double-click 1d6 icon to throw a damage raise die (although I did this with dragging)
View and remove modifiers on modifier stack
Chatwindow upgrade: Moveable & re-sizable chatwindow
The ability for PCs to talk as Allies
Library indexlist width was set incorrectly

In addition, I got halfway towards trying to open up the character portrait controls (in the top-left) for better extension. Can't recall where I left this, but I do recall wanting to come back to it for 3.4 to complete some of the extra portrait widgets similar to those you added.

My blog post about cherry picking those features into SWEX 3.3 is here : https://sw4fg2.tumblr.com/post/27545683615/new-features-for-3-3 (in case it mentions something I missed !)

Zetesofos
November 5th, 2012, 17:10
Since SW 3.3 is out there I am ready to start working with this extension again! First thing is to make it compatible again and then add new features. Phantom, do you have a list of 3.3 features and fixed that were adopted from this ext? Those are no longer needed to be maintained here.

Yeah, I realized later, after I check with the time release between 3.3 and your last extention that 3.3 came out LATER, wholly explaining why there would be bugs. Because I only check the forums on occasion, I saw both at the same time, and assumed that 0.58 came out after, not before.

In that case, I am perfectly content to wait until updates are made, and I greatly appreciate the work you do for us. Hopefully my spots are of some use for you (not likely, but).

Thanks for the response though, many thanks. :)

Draeus
November 7th, 2012, 17:05
Good luck with patch update ikael, love the languages! Comes in handy for my fantasy game. :)

Ikael
November 8th, 2012, 21:22
Just wanted to point out that the first draft version of SW v3.3 compatible SWFI extension (v0.59) is ready and overall seems to be working. I will do more testing on it during weekend or at the beginning of next week and if I don't find any major issues I will release it for BETA testing. I would really need help to from active SW gamers to actually use the beta version in real game sessions as I don't have any games running anytime soon. Anyone interested in?

Doswelk
November 8th, 2012, 21:31
:D Me :):D

Griogre
November 9th, 2012, 02:08
I'm running a PotSM game as well on Fridays and I've been using your extension, my extension skin and the card deck extension.

Draeus
November 9th, 2012, 10:51
I have 2 games on the go at mo, which used the old version that I had to take out, so im up for using it to see if it throws up any errors.

Ikael
November 9th, 2012, 20:36
Thanks alot all! I really approciate any help I can get for this. And you know what, check out the new SW v3.3 compatible SWFI v0.59 extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3213&d=1352493118)! I simply could not find any major issues from the first draft so I decided to give it a go. Any bugs/issues can be reported into this thread or alternatively you can send me email. Thanks again guys!

Draeus
November 10th, 2012, 00:32
Cheers ikael! Will download this and test it in Mondays game!

Zetesofos
November 10th, 2012, 02:25
This is awesome, I really wasn't expecting a follow up so quickly, much praise for your work Ikael. I got a game starting up this weekend, so I'll give it a good solid test, and get you any feedback needed.

Ikael
December 4th, 2012, 06:11
Alright, I am back in the business now. First thing before new features is to make sure that this ext is compatible with SWD ruleset, thereafter slowly but surely I will be focusing on gear and inventory related feats. Meanwhile has anyone beta-tester found some issues with the latest ext version?

Ikael
December 5th, 2012, 12:40
Mods, I would like to declare this thread as locked/dead since it will be continued onwards on this next thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17805)