PDA

View Full Version : Rating system for GMs

weaselarmor
May 31st, 2012, 15:37
It would be interesting in future editions of FG to introduce some sort of rating systems for GMs by their players. It would be a great way to create friendly competition between GMs and encourage them to create more interesting and fun campaigns and thus benefit the entire FG community.

unerwünscht
May 31st, 2012, 18:25
No it wouldn't, it would be a great way for the person with the most friends to have all of his friends go down vote everyone else so he can be the top rated GM.

GunnarGreybeard
May 31st, 2012, 18:52
I'm with unerwünscht on this. I see a big risk of abuse similar to what happens with some forum reputation systems. Not that it would for sure happen but that risk is there and I just can't see anything good coming from pitting GM's against each other like that even if only with harmless intent.

Dakadin
May 31st, 2012, 22:00
It also might make some GMs hesitant to run open games.

khersheyjr
May 31st, 2012, 22:54
I agree. The idea sounds good. But...I see lots of potential abuse in it as well as scaring off potential new GMs from running anything.

someoneinatree
June 1st, 2012, 03:28
Yeah I'm against this. Mostly because players also just like very different things in a game - sometimes people are content to let things meander, others prefer the pace to be pushed along by the GM, some people value exciting combat more than complex stories. The games we play are just too varied for an apples and apples comparison.

phantomwhale
June 1st, 2012, 03:28
Indeed - despite millions claiming to want one, Facebooks genius was to never make the "dislike" button. But even with an "up-vote only" system - like the karma button on this forum - I'm not sure that competition between GMs is really a motivational factor for me to GM more (or better) ?

lachancery
June 1st, 2012, 04:45
I echo the sentiments - a ranking system of GMs would not provide a meaningful indicator of anything, nor would it be a motivator for most GMs - it misses the reasons why most GMs (I think) invest themselves into it.

That said, a way for players to write feedback - short messages, Ebay style, after each game sessions could be interesting. To push this idea further, again like Ebay, the GM could write feedback on players in their game session as well. Someone could choose whether to publish the feedback he gets or keep it private.

When published, the collected feedback would give players and GMs a tool to figure out whether they'd like to player together, before matching up to a game and seeing it in the first few sessions.

JohnD
June 1st, 2012, 05:23
When I was active in the Neverwinter Nights on-line community there was something like this on a game matchmaking site.

For the sake of a complete answer, I'll have to see if I can find a copy of the questions that were asked (and yes there was the option for both the DM and the players to make just comments after a game - something that didn't always work that well, but usually allowed a "body of work" to be accumulated).

No idea if it would work here - my gut tells me it isn't needed.

bennis1980
June 12th, 2012, 15:04
Here's a different perspective:

Wouldn't it be nice is for players to be able to rate their GM after a session - For the GMs eyes only

I have always asked my players how a session went afterwards and actively encourage feedback. They normal recount their favourite parts. But occasionally, they may have some small criticism. I want to hear my players concerns!!!

Because on FG2, players may not be as comfortable giving feedback. Therefore a "Rate my GMing" option for players may give GMs much needed advice on how to improve their online game.

This rating doesn't have to be competitive or public, but it may help novice and experienced GMs alike.

All the above IMO

Dakadin
June 12th, 2012, 15:24
Here's a different perspective:

Wouldn't it be nice is for players to be able to rate their GM after a session - For the GMs eyes only

I have always asked my players how a session went afterwards and actively encourage feedback. They normal recount their favourite parts. But occasionally, they may have some small criticism. I want to hear my players concerns!!!

Because on FG2, players may not be as comfortable giving feedback. Therefore a "Rate my GMing" option for players may give GMs much needed advice on how to improve their online game.

This rating doesn't have to be competitive or public, but it may help novice and experienced GMs alike.

All the above IMO

I like that idea. It would be much more constructive. :)