PDA

View Full Version : The One Ring: Tales of Wilderland

Valarian
May 30th, 2012, 10:46
I'm restarting my Fantasy Grounds campaign, running on Sunday evenings (8pm UK time). The last one I ran for my group of players lasted 5 adventures (20 sessions), but stalled at Easter with real life commitments. I'm looking for 4 to 6 players this time. I have an Ultimate FG2 license, so the game is open to anyone.

Looking for mature players - not age related, but sensible and respectful play. The game will be character and story driven, with some combat and social conflict as the story dictates. It's a dangerous world once you step out of your door, but it's not D&D. I'm looking for people who will get in to the spirit of playing in the Middle Earth setting.

Game Calendar: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=794

The Google group linked below will be used to share chat logs after each session.

GMBazUK
May 30th, 2012, 11:48
Hi Valerian,
What ruleset are you using? If it's a derivative, what is the core ruleset?
Thanks in advance
Baz.

Valarian
May 30th, 2012, 12:56
Ruleset is Foundation Core. The extension is my own and can't be distributed, though I'm willing to help anyone trying to produce their own version as an advisor.

GMBazUK
May 30th, 2012, 13:46
Thanks Valerian. I merely asked as it wasn't mentioned in the Game Calendar entry.
To be honest I was rather hoping it might be Rolemaster, as I am gearing up to run my own Middle Earth campaign with Rolemaster, once the website is complete.
I didn't see it mentioned... Is it going to be a text or talk (skype etc) game?

The game sounds really tempting. It certainly ticks all the boxes for me:
Mature
Story driven
Middle Earth
Low combat
Not DnD

Baz.

jasonthelamb
May 30th, 2012, 14:39
I'm definitely interested, I love the Middle Earth setting and I've always wanted to do a campaign in that type. I'm from the USA so I'd be 5 hours behind you guys, but I believe Sundays will be clear for me.

Valarian
May 30th, 2012, 15:23
I didn't see it mentioned... Is it going to be a text or talk (skype etc) game?
So far, we've only used text. I'm not averse to using VOIP (Google+ / Skype) for out-of-character interaction if everyone wants it. I know one player can't use it, so in character stuff would be text anyway. Plus, I like having the chat log afterwards. The text methos is slower but we've found that we get better story/characterisation than some of our face to face games have produced. The written media has its advantages.

GMBazUK
May 30th, 2012, 16:05
I'm a big fan of text in game. I to think the immersion is greater.
At the possible expenses of having not read the Game calendar entry correctly:
This will be a weekly game?
How long is an average session going to be do you suppose?
How many party members are you looking for?

The reason for my questions is if I apply to join in and I'm selected, I don't want to be found lacking in commitment, due to some foreseeable factor.
Thanks in advance.
Baz

Valarian
May 30th, 2012, 17:02
Weekly game - first session on the 10th June for character building, company formation and campaign discussion.
10th June to 15th July ~ The One Ring campaign [Sundays only]
20th July to 22nd July ~ Fantasy Grounds on-line convention [continuous]
29th July to 5th August ~ temporary game [Sundays only] (Night's Black Agents or a FATE game or something)
12th August to 26th August ~ break for holiday season and peak work period (for me)
2nd September ~ resume The One Ring campaign [Sundays only]

Average session runs from 8pm UK time to 11pm UK time
Looking for 4 to 6 players (currently running at 5 interested parties, including yourself)

jasonthelamb
May 30th, 2012, 17:09
I should mention that this will be my first time doing anything that's not D&D, so I'll need to look up the rulesets and whatnot... what would be the best place to do that?

Valarian
May 30th, 2012, 17:24
Basic info at the following links:
https://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/the-one-ring/the-one-ring-game-system/
https://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/the-one-ring/the-one-ring-characters/

Review: https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/15/15457.phtml
explains the mechanics

The system is easy to pick up. There'll be some reference material available in-game.

GMBazUK
May 30th, 2012, 18:43
I've just had a quick scan of the links you provided, and all I can say is WOW!:D

I'll re-read the website again in more detail (and the review) before the 10th, but not only are you suggesting a style of game play, and a setting that I heartily agree with, but the system looks very interesting. For someone who hasn't played as a player in a long while I genuinely can't wait.
Baz.

Not to steal your thunder Valarian, but I've just found a five part video review of The One Ring on Youtube. Just search for "The One Ring RPG review", and look for daddystabz videos.

Karrth
May 30th, 2012, 22:17
I have the books and is very interested in this... I will apply on the game calender.

Valarian
May 30th, 2012, 22:30
Okay, that's 6 interested.