PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds - Online Play

ShotGun Jolly
May 28th, 2012, 17:42
Hey Guys,

When you host games, do you usually use "Skype" or some other form of VOIP program, or do most of you all usually keep it to text only?

Reason why, I would like to expand my playing time while I am away for work. At home, our game group does everything over skype when we play. But when I am away for work (I go away every 3 weeks, I dont have access to Skype) but I can still log into and play if its just in game text.

I am hoping to see how the GMs hosts such games, and what efforts go into running a game where VOIP is not being used.

So, if anyone out there is running a Savage World game, and would like to have a new character in the game. (Any genre) Let me know, I would like to be able to join in and learn from the more experienced players around here.

Regards

Jolly

Doswelk
May 28th, 2012, 18:43
We tend to Mumble or Skype....

My typing is to bad for text only games, also RPGing in total silence just seems wrong to me.

That said I have played in text-only games on FGII and still had fun.

I find when running a text game (we have had to do that once or twice when we had VOIP issues, I had to ensure that long speeches were pre-typed for drag-and-drop).

Hope that helps.

p.s. noticed you have not stated a time-zone when looking for games I find it helps as people can tell at a glance whether their time-zone is close enough or not.

ShotGun Jolly
May 28th, 2012, 19:02
Oh, thats easy enough fixed. I am in the Newfoundland Standard Time (NSL) which is -330 GMT

So when you run a game how do you deal with opening a game to strangers, or do you usually have a core group of players who always joins in?

Cause I am planning on doing a small Text only game as a trial run, more of a teaser, to see how it works, how much prep work is required, stuff like that..