PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Caravan System

jedorian
May 26th, 2012, 07:51
So, I've been running Jade Regent for awhile now (on The Hungry Storm). The caravan system is alot of good fun and a very nice tool for the players to have in their possession. My only grumble is how I have to implement it in FG. I've made a character sheet for my players that is the caravan itself, putting all the info for it in there so they can access it (well, one of them can...) and have it available to peruse at that player's whim. I've just begun to actually make all of the caravan encounters into NPC sheets so that a caravan battle can take place on the combat tracker.

I'd like to know if anyone has come up with a better way of using the caravan in FG. Maybe one of you especially talented programmers have (or would) make an extension that specifically puts the caravan to use, and all those caravan encounters?.....:D

Silveras
May 26th, 2012, 18:52
The current beta version (2.9) adds support for Vehicles on the NPC sheets. It also provides a sharing-enabled "Party sheet" with multiple tabs/pages. The GM can control the visibilty for some of the pages.

The vehicles would not be available on the "Party Sheet", at least I don't think so, but they should be on the Combat Tracker (I think).

The beta version seems pretty stable (my opinion) and moon_wizard is hoping to make it the current official version soon (within a few weeks, dependng on feedback).

I am sure feedback from your game would be appreciated. Check out the thread for the version 2.9 beta in the Laboratory section, and see if you want to give it a try.

jedorian
May 26th, 2012, 21:50
I had already discussed using the beta for the upcoming patch with my group and they aren't interested in using it until its finalized. I've been keeping track of the progress of the patch and am very pleased with the look of things.
I don't know what the vehicle sheets look like, but the caravan is quite an involved thing. More than just a collection of vehicles. The way in which caravan combat is resolved is extremely simplified, however, the various capabilities of the caravan involve Security and Resolve checks, which function basically as Fortitude and Reflex saves do. The way I have it set up at the moment works, its just a bit ugly. Functional, but messy.
If I had any programming skill, I would try to write an extension to make a tab for the caravan and caravan encounters. My ability is less than zero with those things, though.

Silveras
May 26th, 2012, 22:25
Agreed; the Caravan is an entity unto itself, and managing it fully would be like managing a character with alternate rules. An extension is probably needed to get into the full details.