PDA

View Full Version : Is the license transferable

Lareth
May 26th, 2012, 00:12
thinking of buying however I have a question about resale ability.

if at a later time I decide to use another software can I resell my FG license to someone else?

unerwünscht
May 26th, 2012, 00:28
The end user license agreement says no.
First-sale doctrine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine) says yes. But this is a fine edge. In recent history circuit courts in the US have ruled both directions on resale issues in regards to digital products and software.

And a quick side note... Why would you want to sell it later? It is quite possibly the best software ever made... I think I read somewhere that it will even clean your bedroom for you ;)

Lareth
May 26th, 2012, 03:40
i quess i'm just on teh fence between FG and Map tools. although ad&d 3.5, path finder and 4e looks greatly supported i'm a 2e fan and would hate to drop $40 bucks and only have 5-6 ppl to get in a group with and still have to have a seporate maping program get my own tiles and tokens. i would feel bettwe with a 30 day free trial or 30 days money back.

unerwünscht
May 26th, 2012, 06:23
I honestly think you are comparing a match to an atomic bomb....
However last I looked Maptools was a free application. So my best suggestion for you would be to try out map tools first. See if it works well enough for you to play the style of game that you like, and see if you can find enough players there that you get along with.

My experience has been that unless you are using the latest version of Dungeons and Dragons, finding players can be tricky no matter what application you use. I personally am not a fan of MapTools in any way. I am not even sure I would honestly consider it a virtual tabletop application, but if it works for you... well that is all that matters ;)

(Edit: I would like to also point out that I have no interest in D&D 4th edition, and even less in 5th edition... Just wanted to make sure everyone knows I am not endorsing the new versions of D&D with my post in any way shape or form :) )

Edit #2: Also if you would like a better demo of what Fantasy Grounds II can do, many of us have ultimate licenses and would be more than willing to give you a tour if you would like.

Lareth
May 26th, 2012, 15:28
thanks I might take you up on that. i found 2 DM's here that now both have teh unlimited so i can at least check things out as a player

damned
May 27th, 2012, 13:27
how much did you spend on books?
most good things in life cost money.
$40 will let you host a game or join someone elses.
if you are hosting then those players will also need licenses...
if you have have a group of players that you want to play with buy all your licenses at once as you get some good discounts.
teh software is pretty good - but you will still need to find a game or start your own and find some players - these are not included in the purchase price.

Lareth
May 27th, 2012, 20:53
if you have have a group of players that you want to play with buy all your licenses at once as you get some good discounts.
teh software is pretty good - but you will still need to find a game or start your own and find some players - these are not included in the purchase price.

well of course games to play and players are NOT included. however you would think some basic map tiles and token packs would be.
Books can be resold.
not all software is created equal.
Sucky software can still cost money, and great software can be free it all depends on what you want out of it.

you also have the next hang up which is everyone has to buy the software to join my game.

unless your mailing me $40 bucks that i can either keep if i don't like what FG provides for a AD&D 2e player. Or to send back to you if DO like it you might want to speak of the benifits of FG as the others above you have.

or you can host a game with me useing the 2e rule set aviable and show me how good FG is. AS others who have read this post have offered.

unerwünscht
May 27th, 2012, 23:14

People are concerned about the cost of FGII, as well they should be. To my knowledge it is the most expensive VTT on the market. To many people the features and functionality are not enough to justify the cost. I see both sides of this issue. It is kind of like buying a Ferrari. You want the best you have to pay for it. Is it worth it? Those of us who have driven one would say yes, the rest of the people in the world would mostly say no.

In short yes, you can find other free or less expensive software options for almost everything Fantasy Grounds can do. However you can not find a single program that does it all, you would need multiple programs to do everything Fantasy Grounds does. Can Fantasy Grounds do everything the other software options can? No it can not, there are a few features here and there that are done better in other applications. Yet here again, none of those can do everything Fantasy Grounds can do.

Could Fantasy Grounds be made better? Yes, it can, and as far as I can tell Moon is working on exactly that. Is he improving on all the features that have better option out there? No he isn't, he is one person and he is a person not a god.

With that in mind over time Fantasy Grounds will be faced with two options. They will have to find a way to lower the cost to the end user, or they will have to hire more developers to keep all features of Fantasy Grounds superior to what is available elsewhere in the market. Honestly that time isnt too far away. Other programs will come out in the near future that will force Fantasy Grounds to make some changes, but for right now, if you have the money buy your Ferrari... If you don't stick with what you can afford.

JohnD
May 28th, 2012, 00:35
however you would think some basic map tiles and token packs would be.

you also have the next hang up which is everyone has to buy the software to join my game.

unless your mailing me $40 bucks that i can either keep if i don't like what FG provides for a AD&D 2e player. Or to send back to you if DO like it you might want to speak of the benifits of FG as the others above you have.

or you can host a game with me useing the 2e rule set aviable and show me how good FG is. AS others who have read this post have offered.
Well, as with all things, a confrontational attitude will only get you so far in life.

If I were to donate my valuable hobby time to running a demo, it certainly wouldn't be with an argumentative individual... if I want that, real life has saddled me with an albatross of a wife that can meet those requirements in spades.

There are maps and tokens available for free on-line. Minimal effort required (links posted somewhere on the forum), but a bit of time.

If you spring for an Ultimate license, nobody else needs to pay for the game to connect when you host/GM.

As a recent purchaser of FG, I can tell you that I am extremely satisfied with my decision... for what it's worth (nothing).

unerwünscht
May 28th, 2012, 00:41
As a recent purchaser of FG, I can tell you that I am extremely satisfied with my decision... for what it's worth (nothing).

See, those of us who have driven can see its value ;)

Sigurd
May 29th, 2012, 02:03
Best money I ever spent on gaming.

Really.