PDA

View Full Version : The Public Playtest

Robbo
May 25th, 2012, 02:14
With the play test starting today, will anyone be giving this a shot on Fantasy Grounds? I've read through the rules and they seem rather dead simple. I could fudge it on the 4E ruleset, but I'm guessing the 3.0 ruleset would be far easier.

Anyway, it looks fun....simple...but fun.

leozelig
May 25th, 2012, 04:01
With the play test starting today, will anyone be giving this a shot on Fantasy Grounds? I've read through the rules and they seem rather dead simple. I could fudge it on the 4E ruleset, but I'm guessing the 3.0 ruleset would be far easier.

Anyway, it looks fun....simple...but fun.

I am going to DM a playtest group, Robbo. I haven't been able to download the packet though. The link has been shut down due to "extremely high traffic."

I posted a thread in the Guild House forum, so check it out if you are interested.

Cheers!

Griogre
May 26th, 2012, 22:16
Robbo, I'm going to playtest it as well and I thinking the 3.5 ruleset is probably best though I did think about the 4E one since you can put anything in as a power and C&C just for sheer simplicity. It doesn't seem to matter for the PCs really, but the monsters seem more like 3E ones (really AD&D ones) so they may be easier to just tweak from the 3.5 monster manual to playtest stats. I don't know, I'll probably try a few monsters in each and see.

SilverEagle82
May 27th, 2012, 03:53
I would like to try 5e i live in the pst -8 time zone and have a lite license

leozelig
May 27th, 2012, 20:19
SilverEagle82,

Looks like you have a couple options. We are going to start Mon June 4 at 8:30 pm EDT if that works for you. I have a handful of players who have expressed interest but only 3 confirmed players at the moment.

Click on the link in my signature (apply as player) or post here if you are interested.

Leo

SilverEagle82
May 27th, 2012, 21:04
that will be 5:30 pm my time and that is a go for me

Nibelung
May 27th, 2012, 22:49
I'm playtesting it on the 3e ruleset. Has been working fine so far. Only the hit dice mechanic need to be writen somewhere else.

leozelig
May 28th, 2012, 01:01
that will be 5:30 pm my time and that is a go for me

Invited you, just click accept, and you are in! Let me know if you have a character preference...

Should be fun!

Callum
May 31st, 2012, 15:10
Anyone planning on running this might like to download Weem's reworking of the map:-

https://www.theweem.com/2012/02/01/caves-of-chaos-reimagined-by-weem/

Griogre
May 31st, 2012, 18:20
Weem did a beautiful map. Thanks for the link, Callum, it saved me digging it out. A friend sent me the link a few months ago. Just an FYI on it though, its an old module map so each square is 10 x 10 not 5 x 5.

leozelig
June 1st, 2012, 02:09
Anyone planning on running this might like to download Weem's reworking of the map:-

https://www.theweem.com/2012/02/01/caves-of-chaos-reimagined-by-weem/

Thanks Callum... I like making maps, but I don't have a lot of time these days so this is a huge help! :)

Callum
June 1st, 2012, 22:10
I've made a more FG-friendly version of Weem's player map, adding back in the trees on the floor of the ravine, as well as the secret passages and rooms (but leaving a border so that you can reveal the adjoining rooms without revealing the secret doors). I've also shrunk it a little, so that you can set the grid overlay to size 6 in order to make 5-foot squares. I hope you find it useful!

Lysander
June 4th, 2012, 03:05
Bree-yark!!!!! :d

leozelig
June 4th, 2012, 04:56
Weem's map is awesome, but it's not the most FG-friendly image. A grid size of 6 is quite small. Has anyone tried chopping up the largest map into individual caves and scaling up for a larger grid? Just a thought...

Also, cave A is missing a door. :)

Makuzi
June 7th, 2012, 03:07
Im looking at running a game myself.... What version are you using to enter the characters in? Im trying to do it in 4e but not sure if 3.5 would be better....

Thanks

leozelig
June 7th, 2012, 13:39
I am using 3.5E, which works pretty well. I didn't try 4E, but I suspect that it would work just as well.

Griogre
June 7th, 2012, 21:28
I also put mine into 3.5 the since monster monster format is bit closer to the 5E. However, I mildly wish I had used 4E instead for the character side, since crits are similar and you can put anything in a power. That said, there is seems to be very little difference to using either one, so I would advise you use the ruleset you are most familiar with.

Makuzi
June 8th, 2012, 15:20
I also put mine into 3.5 the since monster monster format is bit closer to the 5E. However, I mildly wish I had used 4E instead for the character side, since crits are similar and you can put anything in a power. That said, there is seems to be very little difference to using either one, so I would advise you use the ruleset you are most familiar with.

Thanks I think Ill be going with the 4e ruleset because thats what Im used to playing with....

I assume that its still a bit early for anyone(I have no clue how to code) to be making a 5e version to play on here with what little info has come out??

Griogre
June 8th, 2012, 19:06
It's very early yet. I expect the core of 5E will look a lot like a simplified amalgamation of the 3.5 and 4E rulesets. One gotcha with either of the current rulesets is they increase "to hit" values with level, 5E doesn't.

Relic Wyverenight
June 10th, 2012, 01:50
If any of you need a dedicated player for your campaigns for 4th or 3.5/pathfinder please get a hold of me!

leozelig
June 10th, 2012, 20:51
I wasn't able to do any better with the map file size, but I did make a couple maps with a larger grid (50 pixels = 10 feet). I prefer to have the outdoor map separate from the caves.

Previews attached (20% actual size)... PM me if you want the larger map.