PDA

View Full Version : New User Walk-through (new to FGII)

lachancery
May 23rd, 2012, 05:08
The New User Walkthroughs are now included in the documentation for the ruleset, available at this link:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FG_RMC_User_Manual_1_3.pdf

The sample characters are still downloaded from this message.

Feedback welcome, as I'd use this to script the recording of Rolemaster video tutorials.

bennis1980
May 23rd, 2012, 07:46
I like it. Thank you.

It's also great as a user manual for RMC ruleset (+20). There's lot in there I wouldn't have noticed first time intuitively (In= -5)

I will give feedback when I've sat down with it at my laptop along with FG.

JohnD
May 23rd, 2012, 21:26
I was almost ready to start looking at how to GM RMC in FG (have to finish something for Ardem 1st)... this is excellent (makes a lot of sense after having been exposed to FG as a player).

Thanks!

Moon Wizard
May 23rd, 2012, 23:57
Making this thread sticky, so it's easy to find for others.

JPG

bennis1980
May 25th, 2012, 13:38
I'm wondering could someone compile a list of those command keywords (eg /gm for changing gm name). It would be great to have them in front of me for reference.

Thanks

lachancery
May 25th, 2012, 14:15
I'm wondering could someone compile a list of those command keywords (eg /gm for changing gm name). It would be great to have them in front of me for reference.
Here are those for the D&D 4th edition ruleset:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide4E/ref_chat_commands.xcp

The only one in that list that I don't think is currently supported by the RMC ruleset is the character to character whisper (/w [character] [message]).

bennis1980
May 25th, 2012, 14:18
Thanks lachancery. I'm learning slowly but surely. Talk to you later

bennis1980
May 26th, 2012, 14:02
Step 8: Casting Spell
• Elven Bard finished preparing and is now ready to cast “Calm Song”.
• Switch back to the player instance of Fantasy Grounds.
• In the Attack Resolver window that popped up, double-click the box “Elven Bard Base Attack Spell vs Wally”.

I'm up to Step 8 in the Newuser walkthrough. I'm having a problem with in the combat resolver. It keeps telling me "Unable to find attack table" in the chat window.

Any help?

Thanks

lachancery
May 26th, 2012, 14:41
I'm up to Step 8 in the Newuser walkthrough. I'm having a problem with in the combat resolver. It keeps telling me "Unable to find attack table" in the chat window.
Ah, yes! These tables are not in the currently distributed library modules, and we couldn't post them in the forum for copyrights reasons... A solution for all will be released "soon", but in the mean time, I'll send you a PM when I am able to get to my computer.

bennis1980
May 26th, 2012, 15:02
I see the post on how to enter them manually from my copy of RMSS and am attempting it, fingers crossed. Are they the same values for RMC?

If you can PM me it would be great too in case I make a haimes of it

Cheers

PS Great session last night (pity it's 2am for me)

EDIT: I did that. It's great!!! :-)

Ardem
June 27th, 2012, 16:08
I see you are trying to do RMSS numbers with RMC. There are several things where you will run into issue as the number formulas do not match up.

I would suggest using the RMFRP module, as it is much closer akin to RMSS then RMC.

bennis1980
June 27th, 2012, 16:17
Thanks,

I'll have a look over my numbers again. I'm planning to play using RMC so I'll root out my copy of RM2 from the attic

bennis1980
June 29th, 2012, 10:43
Just looking at table 05-05 (resistance roll table) in RMC and I don't see any difference in values between it and table T-3.4 in RMFRP, so I shouldn't run into trouble with my values.

Dakadin
June 29th, 2012, 15:27
Just looking at table 05-05 (resistance roll table) in RMC and I don't see any difference in values between it and table T-3.4 in RMFRP, so I shouldn't run into trouble with my values.

Yes, I think that table is the same between the 2 systems. I think the difference Ardem was referring to is how stat bonuses, resistances and skills are handled in RMSS/RMFRP compared to RMC.

bennis1980
June 29th, 2012, 15:43
Ah, okay. I think I'll probably run a RMC campaign with fantasy grounds for now to keep things simple.

JohnD
June 29th, 2012, 21:31
One thing to look at is all the "optional rules" in RMC... IMO they are mostly the standard rules included with RMSS or RMFRP, so in many respects you can still run the kind of game you want.

bennis1980
June 29th, 2012, 23:42
One thing to look at is all the "optional rules" in RMC... IMO they are mostly the standard rules included with RMSS or RMFRP, so in many respects you can still run the kind of game you want.

Thanks John,

I do like alot of the optional rules as it happens. Is there any other pitfalls I should be aware of coming from a RMSS background? (I played RM2 for about 3 years but was very young and skimmed most of the rules)

lachancery
June 30th, 2012, 16:50
Is there any other pitfalls I should be aware of coming from a RMSS background? (I played RM2 for about 3 years but was very young and skimmed most of the rules)
One confusion I've seen with players coming from RMSS/FRP is in the tactical action sequence. RMC introduced a new way of handling it which is slightly different than RMSS/FRP and quite different from RM2. FG does not automate the different phases, using instead D&D's initiative single ordering.

So, you'll have to decide how to handle the tactical sequencing; anything other than FG's current method will require some admin on the GM side.

Ardem
July 3rd, 2012, 01:41
There are many background code formulas if you put in the FRP/SS stats, these will not pump out the correct details.

For example initiative. NPC's in the combat have initiatives that go up by 5's, so if you use FRP stats by modify like minus in the special etc. Then when you roll for initiative all NPC will be a lot faster then PC's

My suggestion is use either play RMC or FRP module do not mix for RMSS/FRP, you will get numbers that are similar but not the same and you will not really know why certain events like the NPC's seem more vulnerable.

The formulas are enough to make a difference, but not enough to go WOW this is so wrong.

As for tactical sequences, I tend to just move the player turn marker manually, for those deliberate actions, since quick actions are not combat related in most cases, I do not need to do the marker. However as a GM you need to be on top of you game here. But the player tend to let you know when you have missed them <smile>

craggles
July 24th, 2012, 18:27
Thanks for this Lachancery! (and again for the demo during the FGcon) :D

I'll be following this once I've bought FG Full License and the RMC ruleset.
(Just waiting on others to decide so we can get a bundle) :)

Was the layout of it a Word template? It's nice and clean and easy to read. I only ask because I have a PDF that has the exact same styling from someone else... unless I know you from a different forum under a different name? :ninja:

Trenloe
July 24th, 2012, 18:41
Was the layout of it a Word template? It's nice and clean and easy to read.:
Looks like the standard "Heading 1", "Heading 2" etc. formatting from Word. You're right - it is nice and clean, I use it quite bit...

craggles
July 24th, 2012, 18:50
Ah, that's okay.

It just took me by surprise as I had this PDF and a different one along with the RMC rulebooks open in Acrobat at the same time when I noticed they were the same styling! :O

I surprise easily apparently. :P

lachancery
July 29th, 2012, 21:47
Update: The original message for this thread has been updated. The walkthroughs are now available in the ruleset documentation and were detached from the message.

Baron Von Mandrick
February 11th, 2017, 22:59
Thank you so much for all the work put into the walkthrough. I don't think I could have made a character without this. I'm actually still not sure that I've done it correctly. I'm not positive but it seems like my character seems a little powerful for first level. That said I haven't actually played, so he might not be.

I'll ask a question and if this is the wrong place, then I'll try and post it to the correct place.

So after my first Adolescent skill training with the DP's I've done the stat gain roll and earned one extra DP. Do I just use that 1 DP for my Apprentice skill training, or do I use them all again with the new total?

After looking at the sample character and realizing that I missed the new skills button on the skills page, I was able to see how to do this, and answered my own question. So never mind my question, but the thanks for putting out the walkthroughs still holds strong.

Majyk
February 20th, 2017, 21:15
+1 and sorry the RM crowd missed replying back but awesome you were able to find the answer you were seeking in the document, too!
I was the same when I first made a PC for RM with FG. <hahaha

PS: Welcome to the wonderful world of the myriad ways different GMs run RM!
There are a few die hard players always looking for a game on these boards, so when feeling confident to GM - or if a player - just poke around and post games you're into, or want to start up.

Cheers!

Thank you so much for all the work put into the walkthrough. I don't think I could have made a character without this. I'm actually still not sure that I've done it correctly. I'm not positive but it seems like my character seems a little powerful for first level. That said I haven't actually played, so he might not be.

I'll ask a question and if this is the wrong place, then I'll try and post it to the correct place.

So after my first Adolescent skill training with the DP's I've done the stat gain roll and earned one extra DP. Do I just use that 1 DP for my Apprentice skill training, or do I use them all again with the new total?

After looking at the sample character and realizing that I missed the new skills button on the skills page, I was able to see how to do this, and answered my own question. So never mind my question, but the thanks for putting out the walkthroughs still holds strong.

sqtyork
July 3rd, 2020, 03:27
The link for the new user guide doesn't work anymore. Does anyone have a copy?

Dakadin
July 3rd, 2020, 03:49
Hi sqtyork,

This is an old version and quite a bit has changed. We are working on a new version that explains the character sheet. It should be finished soon but in the meantime check out Wolfshields videos here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17264-Videos. He does a great job of explaining things.