PDA

View Full Version : FG in offline games

rochgs
May 22nd, 2012, 22:15
Hi to all.

I need some advise, suggestions, etc about the use of FG in offline roleplaying. Background and explanation below.

After some years away from the RPGs scene, I am planning to retake mi hobby as DM. Now I have less time for prep but I thought that in the last years a lot of computer tools to help the mastering should have been developed. The truth was really disappointing.

Finally I found Fantasy Grounds. It's really great software and I am sure it works fine for online sessions. But without testing it in a face-to-face game, I am unsure if it's going to be a real help mastering on the table.

Don't misunderstood me, I love the old pen and paper way, but FG has some really helpful features like the possibility to create an encounter drag and droping monster from the library. Sometimes was really annoying to copy the monsters or search for them in the book every now and then.

The idea is to buy a full license and, maybe, one or to little, so the PCs can use them from tabletops (for storing their sheets, showing them some resources, quick access to rules, etc).

¿What do you think? ¿Some experiences? ¿Maybe are there better options out there?

Thank you for your time.

Dakadin
May 22nd, 2012, 22:43
I've been running games using FG that way for over a year now.

It depends on the ruleset you plan on running but it can really speed up the game with some things. I also like that a lot of things I would have to keep notes on in combat tend to already be tracked so I can focus on keeping things moving.

At first it took me more work preparing but now I can actually get away with less work preparing for the games.

There are 6-7 players in my group. We started out with 3 laptops for the players to use and it has been working so well that we actually have a separate computer for every player now.

zpu
May 23rd, 2012, 01:27
Once I learn the ins and outs of the software I intend to use it that way as well. I figure it would work great for keeping things in order without all the extra paperwork before and during gametime.

someoneinatree
May 23rd, 2012, 03:32
I am considering using it in the PnP 4E game I DM almost purely for combat tracking, encounter building, and monster management.

Having the powers built into the tracker so I can roll them directly from there is super handy, and I can easily track NPC hit points, all in the one screen (no jumping around tabs or switching programs) AND they pop up conveniently in initiative.

I'll let you know how I go.

Nestor
May 23rd, 2012, 03:48
I would think that you could do this with as few as 2 Pc's.

A large TV or flat screen for the players, and a laptop or desktop for the GM. The palyers could share a wireless mouse and keyboard, and everyone could take turns.

rochgs
May 27th, 2012, 14:08
Thank you all for the replies. There are some good insights and ideas in them. So I think I am going to give it a try. I'll let you know how it goes.

By the way, I didn't tell but I am planning use Castlas & Crusaders as ruleset. Just finished reading it and I really like it :)

dr_venture
May 27th, 2012, 18:35
C&C is just a great little ruleset - very old school AD&D 1e/2e-ish, and super easy to mod if you want to. Have fun!

rochgs
May 27th, 2012, 19:16
C&C is just a great little ruleset - very old school AD&D 1e/2e-ish, and super easy to mod if you want to. Have fun!

Thanks. I need the old AD&D flavor because my PCs are more the ruled-tied-combat-hack-and-slash kind. But 3.5 has some cumbersome rules and I don't like the World of Warcraft feel of 4th ed (no offenses, sure 4th ed is a lot of fun. Only a totally subjective impression).