PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to Rolemaster Classic ruleset

bennis1980
May 21st, 2012, 17:04
Hi all,

I am a complete newbie to Fantasy Grounds but have been playing Rolemaster in it's various forms since I first picked up a book nearly 20 years ago.

I have read much of the forum over the past few days and felt intimidated to post anything as alot of the discussion was very high end / technical for me trying to start out. Congradulations and thank you for all the success and hard work.

Here's my newbie question:

Is there a manual for the rolemaster ruleset? I have seen it mentioned a couple of times but cannot find it. I don't think I'd have half as much trouble getting started if I had a reference point.

I may have other simple questions, so I will post them here if I think of them (so they won't be in th way)

Thanks again and good luck,

bennis1980

Dakadin
May 21st, 2012, 19:05
Please post your questions on this forum. There are a number of people here that will help you out so don't hesitate to ask your questions. Most of us have learned it the hard way and would like to help others get up to speed as fast as possible because this ruleset is an incredible addition to Rolemaster.

I don't think there is a manual for the Rolemaster ruleset. I've been thinking of putting one together since I think it would be a big help but I've been busy trying to add features and fix bugs so far.

Also there are a few others that have been working hard and doing a great job working on the Rolemaster ruleset. I can think of at least 3 others that have recently put work into it over the last 6 months.

lachancery
May 22nd, 2012, 03:14
I am a complete newbie to Fantasy Grounds but have been playing Rolemaster in it's various forms since I first picked up a book nearly 20 years ago.

Is there a manual for the rolemaster ruleset? I have seen it mentioned a couple of times but cannot find it. I don't think I'd have half as much trouble getting started if I had a reference point.
Hi and welcome to Fantasy Grounds & RMC!

There is currently no manual, but it's a regular topic of conversations with Dakadin... ;)

I've been thinking of different ways to make learning the ruleset easier. I have been observing someone else going through the learning process over the last few months and it gave me a few ideas what needs to be addressed & how.

By all means, please do post your questions on this forum. The community here is friendly and will answer your questions. It'll also give me more insight into what needs to be done, when I do get the time to work on this project (or for whoever else gets to it before I do).

bennis1980
May 22nd, 2012, 07:45
Thank you Dakadin and lachancery both so much. I have noticed how you both, along with others, have answered people's queries. It is indeed a very friendly forum.

I suppose my main problem is that I don't know where to start and what order I should learn things. I have dabbled in character building (a process which I must say, builds character) and I've tried out the combat tracker (even following the dedicated thread I'm lost)

I think I would benefit from a list, in suggested order of learning (and possibly in order of difficulty), from which I could slowly pick up the skills needed for the harder stuff. As IanP pointed out, there is a definite steep learning curve.

So I suppose my question is this:

What are the first things I need to learn about FG and the RMC ruleset? A short list will do, and I can try and figure the details of how to do them myself.

I am determined to clear the fog (of war) and learn this. As I have said, my group is mostly based online and this would vastly benefit our play (hopefully speed things up). I am notorious for losing and important table at a critical moment and have made up a result on the fly just to keep the story moving - I want to stop doing this (I'm a stickler for the rules).

Again, Thank you

bennis1980
May 22nd, 2012, 22:59
Ok,

I am such an unworthy newb and I recognize that now. Please don't kick me out and ban me from ever using fantasy grounds again.

I found the video tutorials in the downloads tab and have run a successful combat following the instructions (took me 2 hours!). It's a bit disappointing it's so D&D oriented (I suppose that's the most popular system). I am still lost how to link skill to OB in the attack section of the char sheet. I have done enough now that I don't feel like an absolute tool. My unfinished character (localhost) killed an alligator (vile dragonbourne denizen of the swamp).

Now I deserve a cup of tea!

Dakadin
May 22nd, 2012, 22:59
Yes, that is the tough part at first because it isn't always intuitive. I do have a couple initial suggestions though.

1. Try to play in a game before GMing if possible. It will give you an idea of how things work. It doesn't necessarily have to be the Rolemaster Classic ruleset.

2. Watch some of the videos on the downloads page located here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads/. They aren't Rolemaster specific but they should give you a general idea of how things work in FG. The videos can go a bit fast so don't hesitate to rewind. I know I watched a few of them multiple times. Also realize that things will work a bit differently in this ruleset.

3. In the Character Law library module, there is a Character Creation Walkthrough which will help with the basics of creating a character. It is mainly giving the Rolemaster rules for creating the character but it does refer to things in the ruleset occasionally.

4. After you get a character setup, I would recommend getting familiar with the combat tracker and table resolver. You will use them a lot in your games. Be sure to post questions when you get to that point so we can help you through the less obvious situations.

5. After you feel comfortable with the combat tracker, I would start learning how to store your adventure information in FG by using the Story, Images, NPCs, and Items. The videos will help with this.

Dakadin
May 22nd, 2012, 23:03
HA! Don't worry we all went through that. :D

Great job getting through the first combat.

To include the OB on the combat tracker, you need to add them as weapons on the combat tab of the character sheet. You will notice a little check box on the right side of the WEapons and Martial Arts sections called Use. If that is checked off, it will automatically include the entry in the combat tracker when you drag it over. This isn't linked so if something changes, you will have to update the combat tracker or delete the combatant from the combat tracker and re add them to it.

bennis1980
May 22nd, 2012, 23:20
Thanks Dakadin - you are the salt of the earth!

I will maybe try as a player to get that perspective. Do you recommend the community on the Gamecalendar? If so are there any protocols that should be followed? Or are there other forums for bringing FG groups together?

I am eager to get the next stage of my campaign transferred to FG though. It is a high level epic heroic multiple-prophesy-driven story set in my life's work of a world. Wish me luck.

Dakadin
May 22nd, 2012, 23:26
Actually, we should see if we can talk lachancery into letting you sit in on our Friday night game and at least observe. There might even be a character you can play since one of our regulars is travelling right now. ;)

One recommendation on doing the converting is to do it in small pieces at first since you will learn things as you play through some of the stuff you enter into FG.

bennis1980
May 22nd, 2012, 23:48
That would be sweet because I literally have two weeks to learn fantasy grounds as most of my own players are away for whatever reason. It would be good even just to observe. Maybe observe and destroy. Okay just observe.

What time zone are you? I'm GMT (+1) but I am off friday and saturday, so I'm flexible either direction.

lachancery
May 23rd, 2012, 01:56
I am still lost how to link skill to OB in the attack section of the char sheet.
Congrats on beating up that vile alligator! ;)

There are still a few things on the character sheet that aren't linked. In many cases, it's because of exception cases that need a smart way to handle. Here's the lisk of stuff on the character sheet you must maintain manually:

Total Hits (main tab) = Body Development total (skills tab)
Maximum Power Points (main tab) = Power Points Development (skills tab) (if used, otherwise look up master stats table)
XP (main tab) = Level (main tab) (no automated link)
Languages (main tab) = Linguistics (skills tab)
OB (combat tab) = Weapon total (skills tab)
Shield DB value (combat tab) = armor equipment table (Character Law)
Martial Arts ranks bonus (combat tab) = Martial Arts total (skills tab)
Hide skill ranks (skills tab) = Stalk skill ranks (skills tab) (both skills are developed as one, but resolve differently)
Spell List learning chance (spells tab) = Spells development total (skills tab)
Race Movement Rate (inventory tab) = 50 + stride modifier (Character Law)

Dakadin is tracking most of these on the long features wish list... ;)

lachancery
May 23rd, 2012, 02:01
What time zone are you? I'm GMT (+1) but I am off friday and saturday, so I'm flexible either direction.
With Trenloe's blessing (he's travelling), you could play his Hobbit Thief in my game this Friday. The game is at 9:30pm GMT-5 (North American East coast); that would make it middle of the night for you! :eek:

The other option would be to check in with GunnarGreyBeard who has been looking to get a RMC game going on Saturday mornings North American time, which would put it in your afternoons.

lachancery
May 23rd, 2012, 05:12
I am such an unworthy newb and I recognize that now. Please don't kick me out and ban me from ever using fantasy grounds again.
Inspired by your fantabulous newbness, I wrote a new user walk-through tonight. Life willing, I'd like to record tutorial videos this summer to help ease the learning curve. This walk-through would be draft v0.1 for the tutorial videos. Please comment if, would this have been recorded, with voice-overs, it would have answered all your stumbling blocks of the last 48 hours...

The thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16579

Thanks.

bennis1980
May 23rd, 2012, 07:36
It looks great. Wow! Thank you very much. I can't wait till I get home from work this evening to give the Newbie-guide my full attention step by step. From my first read through, there are definitely some things I didn't see (RM specific) which weren't in the other videos. I think it's great as a manual also. I like to have something infront of me to reference, although a video tutorial would be great to.

That's fantastic that I can join your session on friday. I appreciate it immensely. I promise I'll stay out of the way. I will be good to learn it from my players' perspective before we start (particularly this one guy, who has a much higher level of technical knowledge).

I don't mind staying up that late just for one night (It has been about 10 yrs+ since my last all night session).

Do you use skype/oovoo or is it text based? You can PM me the details if you like.

Dakadin
May 23rd, 2012, 07:57
@lachancery, Ok. Maybe I need to talk you into writing the manual. :p

@bennis1980, We use Skype. I initiate the call to cut down on lachancery's bandwidth usage. You can PM me with your Skype information so I will be able to add you to the call.

Blackfoot
May 23rd, 2012, 14:46
That would be sweet because I literally have two weeks to learn fantasy grounds as most of my own players are away for whatever reason. It would be good even just to observe. Maybe observe and destroy. Okay just observe.

What time zone are you? I'm GMT (+1) but I am off friday and saturday, so I'm flexible either direction.lachancery's game would run early morning for you. It starts at 2:30am GMT and usually runs at least 4 hours... Contact lachancery for more info.

Oops.. didn't realize there was a second page on this one .. sorry guys. :)

lachancery
May 23rd, 2012, 15:42
@lachancery, Ok. Maybe I need to talk you into writing the manual. :p
Polish that sweet talk skill, and oh, if you wrap up that Excel tool for me, that'll ease the difficulty level. ;)

Joking aside, I am seeing the need for it clearer now, after watching the same learning difficulties over and over.

bennis1980
May 23rd, 2012, 15:55
lachancery's game would run early morning for you. It starts at 2:30am GMT and usually runs at least 4 hours... Contact lachancery for more info

Cheers,

I'll just get an early bed. It's not too long before I get up on weekdays

Looking forward to it now