PDA

View Full Version : Combat Tracker NPC

IanP
May 18th, 2012, 23:37
Hi, I am new to fantasy grounds (not new to Rolemaster)I have set up a small encounter on the combat tracker and cannot get the NPC to select a target.

The player characters are doing well!!!!

What have I got wrong, help would really be appreciated?

Thanks

Dakadin
May 18th, 2012, 23:40
Unfortunately, you cant target them like the players can. You have to drag the name of the target to the appropriate attack.

Dakadin
May 18th, 2012, 23:41
And welcome to Fantasy Grounds and the Rolemaster ruleset! :)

IanP
May 19th, 2012, 20:59

I don’t know what has changed but now even though the NPC is highlighted (coloured circle) the NPC identity is not appearing in the character attack, as previously.

The table has now been turned.

Help

Confused but determined. :confused:

Is there any specific info I could read.

lachancery
May 19th, 2012, 22:31
Welcome to RMC on FG!

The right sequence to create an encounter with all the links working as you'd want them to is:

1) drag creature link (the square box) from creatures & treasures book to NPC/personality sheet.

2) edit stats of NPC as necessary and drag token onto the appropriate spot on the NPC detail.

3) drag NPC you have created onto the combat tracker; the token you have dragged on the NPC detail will automatically follow on the combat tracker.

4) drag the token on the combat tracker entry to the battle map.

When it's done in this order, the square on the battle map behind each token will be colored by green, yellow or red, according to the friend/hostile status on the combat tracker.

If you wish to use the encounter functionality introduced in Extend RMC, follow the same steps 1 & 2.

For step 3, drag the NPC onto the encounter that you have created. Tokens will be shown for each NPC.

For step 4, drag each token created on the encounter directly to the battle map where these creatures are to appear when the encounter occurs. Close the encounter when you're done.

When you are ready for the encounter, open the combat tracker, the battle map and click on the icon in the lower left of the encounter you have created. It will automatically copy all the npcs onto the combat tracker and put linked tokens on the battle map.

Dakadin
May 20th, 2012, 00:50
One thing to be aware of is the color behind the tokens on the map won't show up unless you enable the grid.

IanP
May 20th, 2012, 06:43
Thanks for your help. Toggle identification was the last problem with the NPC.

I now have a group of characters + NPC’s that can beat the living daylights out of each other.

Can I clarify a couple of items on the characters info on the combat tracker?

What is the small tick for (toggles on and off) at the top left corner (in brown circle)?

What is the blue/grey marker that appears under, Init, AT etc on the top line?

Thanks again. No doubt I will be back.

Dakadin
May 20th, 2012, 08:34
The small tick specifies if the combatant has completed their turn for that round.

The blue/grey markers under those fields are supposed to be chain links to signify that the field is connected to the character sheet fields.

IanP
May 20th, 2012, 14:10
Steep learning curve.

What do the coloured dots below brown dots represent next to the identity (top left corner)?

I have moved on to blood loss. Is the amount meant to be added automatically to the damage? I am currently doing this manually (drag and drop).

I have added the extension from the forum.

Thanks again for the support

Dakadin
May 20th, 2012, 18:27
The colored dots changes color to show damaged the combatant is.

Green 1-24%
Yellow 25-49%
Orange 50-74%
Red 75-99%
Black >=100%

The blood loss is automatic. With the extension it happens when the combatants turn ends. Without the extension it happens when the round ends for all combatants.

IanP
May 20th, 2012, 20:11
I am gradually working my way through the combat process and this has been really helpful.

I am at the end with the critical outcome, as there seems to be no link to this role, does the player character make a separate role to decide the severity. D100.

JohnD
May 20th, 2012, 21:03
I am gradually working my way through the combat process and this has been really helpful.

I am at the end with the critical outcome, as there seems to be no link to this role, does the player character make a separate role to decide the severity. D100.
My experience so far is that the player rolls and the GM indicates what the result is from the critical table(s).

The severity level of the critical is based on the initial attack roll.

bennis1980
May 20th, 2012, 21:29
Hi,

I'm brand new to FG but finding it great since my rolemaster group have spread about the globe.

Can I ask one question on the topic of criticals?

I notice the large / superlarge crits exist in the tables, but can't get them to work with the With a regular size encounter, I can right click the attack table in the attack resolver and summon the relevent critical table. I can roll a d100 and drag it onto the table (which is immensely useful I might add) and then drag the result onto the combat tracker.

I can't seem to get the L/SL crit tables up in this way.

Can anyone help?

Dakadin
May 20th, 2012, 21:30
Yes, the PC makes an attack which is resolved with the appropriate cell selected in the attack table. If a critical or fumble results you can right click and open up the appropriate table using the radial menu. This will open the results table in the section below the attack table. Most of the time the rolls aren't open ended so ask the PC to roll 1-100. Then just drag the results from the chat window to the results table and it will go to the correct row in the critical or fumble table.

With Extend RMC there is one exception to dragging the roll results to the results table and that is when doing resistance rolls. The resistance roll table has the attack level as columns and the defender level as rows. The cells show the number needed to resist the attack. If you drag a roll to this result table it will change the defender level to equal the roll.

Keep posting your questions since it takes a little while getting familiar with ruleset but it works pretty smoothly once you figure it out.

Dakadin
May 20th, 2012, 21:33
Yes, the default behavior for the large/super large criticals can't be applied using the base ruleset. The Extend RMC extension for the ruleset will add this functionality along with some other things. You can find it here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15785.

bennis1980
May 20th, 2012, 22:16
Dakadin,

Just installed it. It's brilliant. My players don't know the half of how good this is.

Thanks for the reply / hard work (gone are the days of using crummy excel sheets for combat and character records. :-)

Dakadin
May 21st, 2012, 01:43
Thanks for the positive feedback. :)

You might need to read through the thread to find out some of the details since I tried to include the details in a later post as I added features to the extension.

Also, if you can think of anything you would like to see added, please let me know. I have quite a long list of things at this point so no guarantee that it will be included any time soon but I am always looking for things to add. I tend to add the things that are going to be the biggest time savers or that eliminate frustration in my games first though. :o

IanP
May 22nd, 2012, 06:58
Thanks for the tutorial. It gets smoother each play through.

I have encountered a problem with deleting characters from the combat tracker when using the ext. Sometimes I have had to shut the program down and re start to be able to delete the characters, as it reports a script error.

This may be a problem at my end but I thought it was info that may be useful.

Thanks for all the hard work it certainly makes things easier.

Dakadin
May 22nd, 2012, 07:12
Thanks for pointing that out. I already have a fix in place but have a couple other issues to work out before I can release it. I've been testing FG v2.9 with the ruleset lately to make sure everything will work once it becomes available. I got sidetracked from developing the extension a bit since a couple things had to be changed to make it compatible with v2.9. I plan on getting a new version up by the end of the week though. Please let me know if you encounter anything else or have any suggestions and I will see what I can do. :)

IanP
May 25th, 2012, 10:11
Feedback as requested.

I have had more script errors in the ext. When populating the combat screen with PC’s they were not able to see any more information than the top row up to init. I tried various permutations but this problem persisted, although not deleting the initial NPC in the combat screen seemed to have some effect.

We had to revert to the non ext program which worked fine. But you can see the benefits of using the ext.

I hope this is of use. If it’s not clear or I am doing something wrong just let me know.

Dakadin
May 25th, 2012, 15:47
Feedback as requested.

I have had more script errors in the ext. When populating the combat screen with PC’s they were not able to see any more information than the top row up to init. I tried various permutations but this problem persisted, although not deleting the initial NPC in the combat screen seemed to have some effect.

We had to revert to the non ext program which worked fine. But you can see the benefits of using the ext.

I hope this is of use. If it’s not clear or I am doing something wrong just let me know.

Thanks. I am confused on what they weren't able to see. Do you mean that the entries for PCs in the combat tracker was giving errors when it got to the Init field?

Also are you using Extend RMC v1.2.15? I just released the update version yesterday that fixed a couple outstanding issues.

Can you replicate it? If you can get me the script errors and a screenshot that would help me track it down quicker. I will do what I can to get this resolved as soon as possible once I have a bit more information.

Thanks,
Dakadin

lachancery
May 25th, 2012, 23:06
Thanks. I am confused on what they weren't able to see.
Possibly the defaults for the new preferences that were added to the combat tracker? I remember having to set the visibility of these fields on the combat tracker since the defaults were set to Off, even for self. (should probably default to On for self.)

Dakadin
May 25th, 2012, 23:21
Good point lachancery. I forgot about that.

Dakadin
May 26th, 2012, 03:01
I just wanted to show you an example of the way I have my Combat Tracker Visibility Preferences and the results that a player would see.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

IanP
May 26th, 2012, 11:14
New ext installed no script problems encountered.

This version works really smoothly.

The only thing I have noticed is that the stun does no appeared automatically. I just enter it and it works fine.

I will not bother trying to explain what happened previously. Unless you are curious.:)

Thanks for all the hard work, it’s worth it.

lachancery
May 26th, 2012, 13:23
The only thing I have noticed is that the stun does no appeared automatically. I just enter it and it works fine.
The behavior for stun has not changed; you still have to drag the effect of the critical on the damage an the result gets applied/recorded.

The change that the extension did make is when the timers are reduced. It used to be at the end of the combat round, and it's now when the action focus (flag) moves away to the next person in the initiative order.

This was done to solve issues properly tracking rounds of effect for combatants who had acted this round vs those who had not. (Rolemaster rules state that the effect happens immediately if the target has not acted, and next round if he has.)

Could that be answering what you're meaning?

IanP
May 26th, 2012, 18:40
Sorry, I should have been clearer, the stun is not appearing when I drag the critical over initially.

All the other information is appearing, bleed, can’t parry etc just not the stun.

I have run some combats to test this and it appears that stun on its own is fine, but when it is with can’t parry the stun doesn’t appear.

Example
C-Krush 67-70
Strike upper chest area foe is stunned for 3 rnds and unable to parry during
next 2 rnds +10 hits foe is at -10.

The 3 rounds of stun doesn’t appear when the critical is dragged over, all the other info appears.

Dakadin
May 26th, 2012, 22:43
Is it filling in the Can't Parry field? If so that is actually Stun No Parry. The Stun field is just for when they are stunned but can still parry.

Keep letting us know if you see any discrepancies since we are trying to track as many of them down and get them resolved.

lachancery
May 27th, 2012, 00:29
Sorry, I should have been clearer, the stun is not appearing when I drag the critical over initially.

All the other information is appearing, bleed, can’t parry etc just not the stun.

The 3 rounds of stun doesn’t appear when the critical is dragged over, all the other info appears.
Ah, I see! As Dakadin mentioned, the effects are coded in the table for each cell. Test it with another result to see if stun gets applied.

Dakadin went through a lot of crit tables and fixed the errors, but again, it can't be distributed in the open (yet). :ninja:

IanP
May 27th, 2012, 13:48
Yes that makes sense it then only becomes an issue when there are more stun rounds than can’t parry.

I am happy to let you know about problems I encounter if it is useful to you, no doubt along with more requests for guidance.