PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Effects and Templates

spacce1889
May 14th, 2012, 05:54
I thinking about trying and get all the base templates into effects.

I know were the instructions for effects are:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/ref_effects_35E.xcp
and www.d20pfsrd.com (https://www.d20pfsrd.com) has a nice list of templates (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates).

for example: advance-AC increase natural armor by +2; Ability Scores +4 to all ability scores (except Int scores of 2 or less)

I think the effect would be:AC:2 Natural,ABIL:4

Has anyone else tried to do this?

Trenloe
May 15th, 2012, 17:49
Good idea...

For your example "ABIL" is actually just adding to ability checks (e.g. a STR roll) not actually adding +4 to all abilities - you will need to add them each separately: STR:4; DEX:4;...

Effects kind-of work for templates, but you need to be aware that effects are a fairly new thing to FG and there will be some things that won't automatically be taken into account when effects are applied. Hit Points won't be changed with CON changes, for example; and some NPC skills won't match up 100% with the skill list so FG won't know what statistic to apply as the bonus. There are others as well that won't be taken into account.

However, having the effects of a template in a module list would be pretty cool and hopefully over time more effect functionality will be implemented in FG.

Nestor
May 16th, 2012, 01:41
Is there an effect that will increase HP?

also, is there a thread where people have posted effects, the documentation is kinda limited on this ( and i am not all that bright)

spacce1889
May 16th, 2012, 06:27
I am wondering what all the new changes to effects will be. I know that 'if's are suppose to be added, but no idea how things are tested.

Moon Wizard
May 17th, 2012, 00:36
Currently, the changes are only documented in the release notes for v2.9 beta. I will be adding to the online manuals as well. Right now, the only direct effect change is the IF <condition> tag.

Cheers,
JPG

bnason
May 25th, 2012, 02:18
Dumb question - and if I'm derailing the thread, someone tell me - but how do you add hardcoded effect labels into a system? For example, I know I could just add the following on an effect line and drag it on a CT entry:

ATK: -1; SKILL: -1 spot search perception

But what if I want to label that "Stoopified", and have "Stoopified" as the Effects window entry?

Dumb Q I'm sure - still trying to get the hang of effects beyond the default ones that are hardcoded into the system.

Trenloe
May 25th, 2012, 06:05
Dumb question - and if I'm derailing the thread, someone tell me - but how do you add hardcoded effect labels into a system? For example, I know I could just add the following on an effect line and drag it on a CT entry:

ATK: -1; SKILL: -1 spot search perception

But what if I want to label that "Stoopified", and have "Stoopified" as the Effects window entry?

Dumb Q I'm sure - still trying to get the hang of effects beyond the default ones that are hardcoded into the system.
You can't do exactly what you're saying - that is, create a list of effects and then just refer to it by just the name. Unless you looked into creating some new hard-coded effects via an extension.

Without an extension, you could use:

Stoopified;ATK:-1;SKILL:-1

But this would still show the whole string in the CT, but at least you'd have the label "Stoopified;" at the beginning of this effect entry.

Moon Wizard
May 25th, 2012, 18:51
Just added to the wish list, give it a vote.

https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=50632

Cheers,
JPG

Blackfoot
May 25th, 2012, 21:07
This isn't a bad idea if there were some way to 'view' the actual effect in a drop down or something. I have felt right along that the effects, while great functionality wise, are a bit on the clunky side as far as gameplay.
Most people I play with either have a lot of trouble figuring out how to configure them or just give up on them in frustration.
Personally, I use them for as much as I can... I think they are great... but I do run into a good number of players who get frustrated by them.
It is pretty easy to screw up how you are building them, mostly because they are capable of doing so much.

JohnD
May 25th, 2012, 21:59
I would be nice if the common ones were pre-populated (or am I missing something).

Trenloe
May 26th, 2012, 00:05
I would be nice if the common ones were pre-populated (or am I missing something).
Are you talking about conditions such as blinded, entangled, etc.? You can just use the names as documented in the 3.5E User Guide (Effects -> Label: Conditions) or use the pre-populated condition names from the module in this thread:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15453

Blackfoot
May 26th, 2012, 00:59
Actually the common ones do work as Trenloe points out... but I believe the suggestion was to make it possible to 'hide' or create effects that back up keywords beyond the standard effects.
An example might be the Cat's Grace spell. It gives a +4 to Dexterity.
The effect as we enter it currently reads:
Cat's Grace;DEX:4
It would be nice to be able to suppress the info after the first Semi so that in the tracker the effect read as 'Cat's Grace' but applied the appropriate effect. Very similar to the standard effects.. but maybe as part of a drop down in effects or something.
When a character has a lot of effects on them (particularly in high level games) this text can get pretty extensive.