PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder

GunnarGreybeard
May 11th, 2012, 11:23
I am considering getting into this and wanted to get some feedback for those of you currently GMing/playing it. The only D&D I have played is from the original version up to 1st edition AD&D. I have looked at 4e but it just didn't click and although I have a couple books, and they are pretty, but I've never really had a desire to play it.

So . . . how well does Pathfinder play with just the 2 base books (I'm not wanting to have a buy a library of books just to play) and how easy is it to pick up if you're "really old school"? :D

Callum
May 11th, 2012, 11:33
I'd say . . . great, and pretty easy. The rules are generally well written, and it shouldn't take you too long to get the hang of the new stuff like feats. You definitely don't need anything other than the base books.

Leonal
May 11th, 2012, 15:36
Also you have more or less all the rules at https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ or https://www.d20pfsrd.com for free:)

To answer your question it plays perfectly well with just the core books.

jedorian
May 12th, 2012, 00:32
I was wholly against Pathfinder at first glance, and after putting my stubborn attitude aside, I found it to be a vastly superior game setting to standard 3.5. The rules are simple to understand and easy to read. It only took me a single evening of reading the core book and browsing the supplements to get a good enough understanding of the differences to host a game without any issues. As I've been running the Jade Regent adventure path, I've learned more about the setting and everything I've seen is fantastic. Its worth looking into and certainly more player friendly. The options available to players are much greater than what 3.5 provided.

I suggest taking a group, building some characters and running a 'trial' adventure with them to see how you like the setting. Just be sure to take the time to read through the Core book to make sure that you understand how to use the CMB and CMD system, since that is a pretty big deal in Pathfinder. Things like grappling, bull rushing, tripping, and blah blah blah, they all work a wee bit differently in Pathfinder and in my opinion are much easier to deal with. Also, the skills are changed enough to merit a thorough study of them to be certain you don't get things mixed up or messed up.

Killian
May 12th, 2012, 08:53
Hey, and welcome.

I played a lot of 3.5 but the sheer volume of stuff was overwhelming me and although I wasn't into 4E the system was seeming to be a bit dated (so my monk can see like an eagle but can't find a piece of paper in a desk?)

Pathfinder fixes just about every gripe I had with 3.5 it gives the player options that lets them create characters that can be vastly different and still effective, and it still builds on the 3.5 premise that the rules should be easier to pick up and follow.

If you want a good look at Pathfinder we have a dedicated Pathfinder Society group here: https://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/fg2pfs/

We schedule games for new players a lot and it uses Organized Play. This means that once you create a character and register them with Paizo you can play any sanctioned scenario or module with a group and that character gets credited and leveled. I'm in UK and can only make about 1 game every two weeks but even if I play with new people each time or a different DM my character still advances. the Pathfinder module on FG is also pretty tight and shows off the best elements of VTT.

Feel free to browse and talk to some people I believe we have a level 1 game this sunday and introductory games run almost every week to two weeks.

Sigurd
May 12th, 2012, 15:43
Its a two edged sword. On the one hand being in active development means new material but it also means in time there will be two much material (IMHO).

Still I don't like 4ed, and it is the best combination of good rules, imagination, and importantly available players.

The FG support is getting pretty stellar. Pathfinder is an OGL product eventually so it can't be too restrictive and can't go away.

S

GunnarGreybeard
May 12th, 2012, 23:43
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I certainly do appreciate it.

PaxVeritas
May 20th, 2012, 02:55
Hey Gunnar. I've played since 1982, so from one old schooler to another, it's the best D&D yet. Pathfinder RPG: fun, easy to understand, makes very smart sense, fun to run as a GM, Core Rule Book is all you need, or you can use the rules FREE online at https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/
Download character sheets free at www.paizo.com along with some other cool free stuff. On my end, I'm a big fan-got the tee-shirt, the minis, and everything, BUT you really don't need any of it. If you'd played v.3.5, then you're a leg up, but you can still GM/DM with the same AD&D goodness as you wish using the ruleset; What I mean is I've GM'd Pathfinder RPG since the day it was conceived, and I've never had to compromise good old milieu sensibility or any classic Gygaxian feel. Simply put, give it a go, and the good folks on the Paizo messageboards will answer any question you might have. Have fun & good luck.

Killian
May 29th, 2012, 18:58
Hi Gunnar I'm running a game this Saturday (June 2nd) at midday EST if you wanted to come and join. If you've registered at paizo by now I can credit your character for the scenario if you want to play, or even if you wanted to use a pre-generated character for the scenario. I'll also be online thursday for anyone that needs help registering or creating a character.

Please see the link explaining more about the game

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=125097#post125097