PDA

View Full Version : Drag attacks very hit and miss (get it?)

dr_venture
May 4th, 2012, 17:52
Using the Castles & Crusades ruleset: I find that my players often can't drag-attack either via tokens on the battlemat or the Combat Tracker. Sometimes they can, sometimes they can't, usually some can and some can't. I'm assuming that this is a ruleset-specific problem, but I'm wondering if anyone sees this in other rulesets, or has any idea of who/what/where the culprit might be?

Dakadin
May 4th, 2012, 18:05
Are they waiting for the tool tip name to pop up? Using 4E, once I explained to my players to wait for the name to show up, we no longer had this issue.

dr_venture
May 4th, 2012, 23:06
God... could it be that simple? The idea never even crossed my mind! I'll give it a try tonight.

damned
May 4th, 2012, 23:19
my players sometimes complain of this - i will try the tooltip thing... i just assumed they would!

Moon Wizard
May 5th, 2012, 07:10
The tooltip popup verifies that the mouse is actually over the "token" object on the screen before the drop.

Cheers,
JPG

dr_venture
May 6th, 2012, 07:54
Nope, I confirmed last night that the problem is not related to the tool tip not having come up, etc. On a 2nd copy of FG running as a client, I could drag an attack die over an opponent, hover there until the name of the opponent showed up, then drop the attack die with no effect.

The only thing that pops to mind is that maybe it matters how the NPC combatant is created in the combat tracker? In my case, I just created the NPCs by right-clicking in teh CT and creating the new combatants via the radial menu. Perhaps if one is dragged in via the Personalities window the problem might not occur? I know it's not a certain thing that drag-attacks don't work - sometimes they do work just fine... so I'm grasping at straws as to what might difference between the combatants might be.

Dakadin
May 7th, 2012, 17:25
Does it consistently work for some types attacks and not work for other types of attacks or can the same type of attack work sometimes and not others?

dr_venture
May 7th, 2012, 18:21
As far as I can tell, it's a session-based thing: sometimes a player can drag-attack during a game session, sometimes they can't... you have to check each session. Often a portion of the players can drag-attack while others cannot.

Trenloe
May 7th, 2012, 18:25
I sometimes had this while playing in Damned's C&C game.

I can't remember 100%, but I think it sometimes happened if I had been looking at another app, then had gone back to FG by just clicking on the window/entry in the taskbar. Once I realised it wasn't working, I alt-tabbed out of FG and alt-tabbed back in and then it seemed to work.

Dr_V - if you can readily recreate the problem could you try alt-tabbing out and back in on the player instance to see if that is the issue? It may be related to this - FG not properly getting focus back.

Or, of course, it may be something completely different... ;)

damned
May 7th, 2012, 23:15
that does seem a little familiar too....