PDA

View Full Version : Shared Module Error

Hecklerus Prime
May 4th, 2012, 05:39
Running into an issue with shared modules. I'll create a module and export it with the "S-Common shared data" type selected. What I'm running into is that my players cannot see any files in any of their banners (library, story, images, etc.) and in the Module Activation area they see a ghost image of my module with the pre-load spiderweb in the bottom left corner. If I try to share an image they get nothing but an empty box. If I try to share any type of text file they get it right away.

My understanding is that a common shared module loads off of my PC and onto theirs. Which I would think means that a larger module takes longer to load. Which explains why I can share a text and they get it instantly, but never get an image (which is a larger file). Is this assumption correct? Or is there something I am missing?

Bottom line: is there anything I can do that will make this shared module stuff work properly?

Hecklerus Prime
May 4th, 2012, 05:43
Newest version of FG, running 3.5e ruleset, only trying to share Story files and images. I've given the module both the lightening bolt (force load?) and green check permissions with same results both times. We've waited about two hours for the files to load with no results.

gmkieran
May 4th, 2012, 15:46
Hecklerus,

Someone with more knowledge may correct me, but I believe the players will need to have a copy of the module in their modules folder to be able to actually access the data. I believe what the force loading, etc., does is give their machine permission to access the data in that module, not transmit the entirety of the module to their machine. Try sending them the module by email and have them save it in their FGII modules folder and see what that does for you.

Cheers!
GMK

Trenloe
May 4th, 2012, 16:09
Someone with more knowledge may correct me, but I believe the players will need to have a copy of the module in their modules folder to be able to actually access the data.
This is for a "client" module, not a common module - which is what Hecklerus Prime has created.

Hecklerus - with story and images, you (the GM) still has to decide when to share the items with the players. If you are using the 3.5E or 4E ruleset (and others that may have the newer sharing functionality) once the story/images are shared the players have access to them (until the GM clicks the small (s) icon next to the entry).

Making a module like you have has the advantage of the data already being on the players machine (once the module has downloaded) and so this should increase the speed at which images etc. open.

So, just go ahead and share the images/story entries to the players (once all of the players are logged in).

Hecklerus Prime
May 4th, 2012, 17:46
Well, we played a four hour session last night and the module was force loaded (the lightening bolt). Whenever I went to share an image the players all got an empty box. Text files worked great. So, how long does it take for the module to download to the player computers? It seems like four hours is way too long for no results.

gmkieran
May 4th, 2012, 20:12
Thanks, Trenloe! Sorry for the mis-information, Hecklerus!!

Depending on the number and size of images in the module, I can see it taking several hours to download, esp to multiple machines with variable DL rates and other stuff going on at the same time. Is this a situation in which creating a cache file by logging into the campaign as a player from the local machine and then emailing *that* to the players would help? Alternately, might it help to have each player log in individually on a non-game night and just let it run 'til the data has been pushed through?

Just some thoughts.
Cheers!
GMK

Trenloe
May 4th, 2012, 21:11
Well, we played a four hour session last night and the module was force loaded (the lightening bolt). Whenever I went to share an image the players all got an empty box. Text files worked great. So, how long does it take for the module to download to the player computers? It seems like four hours is way too long for no results.
Get one of the players to look in their cache directory - this is under the FG App data directory as cache\<campaign name> the modules will be downloaded as encrypted .dat files - check to see if they are there and what size they are.

Functionality can be ruleset specific what ruleset are you using?

Griogre
May 5th, 2012, 01:51
Clients can't see story entries from the base 3.5 ruleset. Actually I don't think any rulesets allow players to see story entries. You can make anything common you want but unless the client can run the window class or control they can't see those types of things.

They should be able to see images, how big is the common module file? When I worked for DA we tried to keep the whole common module under like 500K. That can be the size of one map easily. Its best if you need more detailed maps to either put them in a client module or GM module if you need to preserve IP.

Trenloe
May 5th, 2012, 02:04
Clients can't see story entries from the base 3.5 ruleset. Actually I don't think any rulesets allow players to see story entries.
This functionality came in for the 3.5E ruleset in V2.8 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=108775&postcount=3 ref "[3.5E] Client access to shared story, image and item entries.") and I'm not sure when it became available in the 4E ruleset but it is there now.

Griogre
May 5th, 2012, 19:11
Ah, good to know, thanks Trenloe. I imagine its on a shared/unshared switch? That might be why the OP's players can't see it in the common module. The list would probably start unshared and there wouldn't be a way to share it with the actual PCs that he want's to see it.