PDA

View Full Version : It's ON! Friday 20th July to Sunday 22nd July.

Trenloe
May 4th, 2012, 03:59
The first meeting of the con committee (con-comm??? Madman, Dracones and Trenloe) has just finished and whereas we have a lot of work to do in the background over the coming weeks, we wanted to get confirmation of the date "out there".

*** Friday 20th July to Sunday 22nd July.***

More details to come, but a few small highlights to allow GMs to start planning and players to start getting excited:

We are asking GMs to run their games in 4 hours slots. This will allow players to plan their con gaming better (not having games overlap) and provide more structured ways of communicatiing time zone details to players. If as a GM you really can't fit your game into the slot (either you need more time or the slot times don't work for you) then let us know and we'll see what we can do. But, please try to keep to the slots of possible.
We hope to span the globe - so we welcome GMs from all over. It would be great if we had games running from Friday evening New Zealand time to Sunday evening Hawaii time! :-)
Any game that can run on Fantasy Grounds is welcome. But, we aim for this convention to also showcase Fantasy Grounds so please try to make sure your game runs properly in the latest version.
We will be using a commercial TeamSpeak3 server for the whole convention - all GMs should use this for their games. We will have chat rooms, discussion rooms, volunteer helpers and other things within various "Rooms" on the TS3 server - replicating the convention feel of being able to wander around and chat about different things. Even if you will use text communication once your game is running, please have a headset/mic ready for game start and end communications and Q&A. There is a good chance GMs will be getting FG newbies or people unfamiliar with the ruleset so voice chat will help a lot to get going quickly.
We will be getting the fgiicon.com site up and running fully by the end of this month - which will allow GMs to register their game, players to register for these games, people to read blogs, ask questions and a whole lot more.
Please don't run your usual weekly campaign game on the convention. Run a one-shot game that anyone can join and have fun - push your players to try other games! :-)

dr_venture
May 4th, 2012, 05:24
A couple ideas:

1) It might be nice to set up a few regular "FGII for Newbies" sessions to try to alleviate GMs having to answer too many questions instead of focusing on their games (I know it'll happen anyway, but I think it might help).

2) Personally, I may or may not be able to GM anything due to the mic requirement. It is a very reasonable idea you guys are putting forth for the best of reasons, but I have a small, busy, noisy house that is often just not appropriate for having voip chats. I'll see what I can do, but I figured I'd bring it up, as I don't know if I'm in the minority there.

3) Good work, guys!

wbcreighton
May 4th, 2012, 07:00
*** Friday 20th July to Sunday 22nd July.***

We are asking GMs to run their games in 4 hours slots. This will allow players to plan their con gaming better (not having games overlap) and provide more structured ways of communicatiing time zone details to players. If as a GM you really can't fit your game into the slot (either you need more time or the slot times don't work for you) then let us know and we'll see what we can do. But, please try to keep to the slots of possible.
We hope to span the globe - so we welcome GMs from all over. It would be great if we had games running from Friday evening New Zealand time to Sunday evening Hawaii time! :-)

Sounds awesome. Just a question on timing. So does this mean that because we are crossing the timeline that in reality the con will start on Thursday in some timezones and end on Monday in other timezones ? I'm trying to get my head around it. :confused:

someoneinatree
May 4th, 2012, 07:30
Sounds awesome. Just a question on timing. So does this mean that because we are crossing the timeline that in reality the con will start on Thursday in some timezones and end on Monday in other timezones ? I'm trying to get my head around it. :confused:

That would be correct.

Technically anytime from 7pm Friday 20 July, New Zealand local time (https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=FG2+Con+Begins&iso=20120720T1900&p1=22)

to

11.55pm Sunday 22 July, Hawaii local time (https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=FG2+Con+Ends&iso=20120722T2355&p1=103)

will fall under the limits of the convention! Although I imagine the idea is that it should be the GM's timezone that determines whether their game falls under the convention.

wbcreighton
May 4th, 2012, 07:43
Thanks for the links.

damned
May 4th, 2012, 08:12
Well done guys. I think the next big challenge is how to get the word out there - especially to non-FGII users.
I think a Con Landing page would be a good idea - with links to:
Teamspeak for Windows, Mac, Linux.
FGII
Some version of wine/bottle for the Mac/Linux crowd
Any other downloads - like C&C, SW, Gurps etc Quick Start Guides
FG cheat sheet - how to combat, how to chat, how to dicetower, how to save throw etc.
FG links - website, store, docs, pricing etc.
Etiquette guide - if you register you turn up! especially as its free - you really want to hammer that point... (imho)
Can players rate game sessions?
How easy was it to get started?
Did you enjoy the session? why/not?
Would you like to play a regular campaign? why/not?
Would you purchase a license? why/not?

Will there be a reccomended format for each session? Especially if you are hoping to attract new players/users - you probably want 10-15mins to get everyone connected, a short FG training session - eg combat, saving throws, dice tower, chat, and then your game - and maybe even a 10min wrap up, feed back, q&a session.

Keep up the good work!

Doswelk
May 4th, 2012, 13:59
Started a thread (https://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36181) in the Con section of the Pinnacle Forum.

Mask_of_winter
May 4th, 2012, 14:34
Good work by the committee! I like the TeamSpeak idea. It'll make coordinating the events a lot easier. A player could just show up and find a game through a coordinator who would know who's running a game and if he can take another player or not.

One thing I thought about too is that I dont have an ultimate license. I'm willing to run a couple games but the kind of players that will be able to join will be those with a lite or full license. This is a great opportunity for Smiteworks to draw more customers in. Would it be possible for Smiteworks to grant GM's a temporary ultimate license for the duration of the con? Maybe even every game a GM runs he gets a ticket and at the end of the con one lucky GM wins an ultimate license? :). Hehe maybe I'm dreaming but its a Con!!

Blackfoot
May 4th, 2012, 14:39
So we are talking:

Starting Thursday, July 19, 8am Eastern (1pm GMT)
and
Ending Monday, July 23, 6am Eastern (11am GMT)

That's actually a 4 day event ... right?
Err.. My math is correct... I think.

Trenloe
May 4th, 2012, 15:26
That would be correct.

Technically anytime from 12am Friday 20 July, New Zealand local time (https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=FG2+Con+Begins&iso=20120720T00&p1=22)
No, no, no!!!

It starts Friday evening New Zealand time:

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=FG2+Con+Begins&iso=20120720T19&p1=22

Trenloe
May 4th, 2012, 15:31
So we are talking:

Starting Thursday, July 19, 8am Eastern (1pm GMT)
and
Ending Monday, July 23, 6am Eastern (11am GMT)

That's actually a 4 day event ... right?
Err.. My math is correct... I think.
Not quite - chezcaliente has confused Friday evening with the beginning of Friday New Zealand time and has posted links. I'll PM him and ask him to remove/modify them.

So, we are talking 3am Eastern Friday July 20 to 6am Eastern Monday July 23 - just over 72 hours.

Blackfoot
May 4th, 2012, 22:30
No, no, no!!!

It starts Friday evening New Zealand time:

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=FG2+Con+Begins&iso=20120720T19&p1=22I thought it looked a little screwy. :)

Herodian
May 5th, 2012, 02:13
Since the goal is to make this a global convention, it might be worthwhile to put a facility in the con's game registry for specifying what language the game will use.

Trenloe
May 5th, 2012, 02:16
Since the goal is to make this a global convention, it might be worthwhile to put a facility in the con's game registry for specifying what language the game will use.
Absolutely - thanks for the suggestion.

We have quite a few additions to make to the booking site before it officially goes live - adding a language flag is one of the items on our list.

someoneinatree
May 5th, 2012, 04:42
Apologies! Didn't have the exact times so was just throwing the extremes in. Didn't think anyone was going to take it as gospel!

Have adjusted the post.

Trenloe
May 5th, 2012, 05:15
A couple ideas:

1) It might be nice to set up a few regular "FGII for Newbies" sessions to try to alleviate GMs having to answer too many questions instead of focusing on their games (I know it'll happen anyway, but I think it might help).
Good idea - we have been discussing GM sessions before the con and special sessions during the con. We'll add FG for newbies to the list. I also think that we'll be doing some little videos to help get things going smoothly...

2) Personally, I may or may not be able to GM anything due to the mic requirement. It is a very reasonable idea you guys are putting forth for the best of reasons, but I have a small, busy, noisy house that is often just not appropriate for having voip chats. I'll see what I can do, but I figured I'd bring it up, as I don't know if I'm in the minority there.
You only really need the voice at the beginning and end of your game to get people organised and sort out any issues. Once all of the players are connected and ready to go you can put the whole channel on mute and text away. Just be clear when you advertise your game that it will be text based so that people know what to expect.

kairos
May 6th, 2012, 14:18
First, this is a superb idea. Thanks for putting it together.

Any game that can run on Fantasy Grounds is welcome. But, we aim for this convention to also showcase Fantasy Grounds so please try to make sure your game runs properly in the latest version.

I'm fixing to run some BRP. It hasn't been updated to the latest version of FG2, though. Are you looking for rulesets that take advantage of 2.8+ features, or did you mean don't run a buggy homebrew ruleset? :)

Of course, if the MM3E ruleset is released by then, I may run 2 games. ;)

Trenloe
May 6th, 2012, 16:31
Are you looking for rulesets that take advantage of 2.8+ features, or did you mean don't run a buggy homebrew ruleset?
Any ruleset/freeform game is welcome. I was referring to buggy rulesets, yes - but also if V2.9 comes out before the convention (which I hope it will) that people test their game (ruleset and campaign) properly to see that it won't raise errors/not work properly.

leozelig
May 10th, 2012, 00:20
I am going to run a home-brewed one-shot, hopefully using OSRIC, but I can run it as a 4e game depending on interest levels.

Maybe I should run both and compare. :)

Draeus
May 13th, 2012, 01:11
I was thinking of running some brp games. Fantasy, supers, and maybe some sci-fi (possibly star trek, star wars... Who knows all depends about time.)

But I only have the full license not the ultimate license. Is this going to be a problem?

hopefully i can upgrade before then, as I would love to help out.

Represent some UK time zone and all.... That's +0 I think.. Will do some research :)

kairos
May 13th, 2012, 02:00
I was thinking of running some brp games. Fantasy, supers, and maybe some sci-fi (possibly star trek, star wars... Who knows all depends about time.)

But I only have the full license not the ultimate license. Is this going to be a problem?

hopefully i can upgrade before then, as I would love to help out.

Represent some UK time zone and all.... That's +0 I think.. Will do some research :)

Yeah, I've only got the Full License, but was likewise going to run some BRP. Might be fun to coordinate some solid BRP showing. :)

I was thinking of running one of the Alephtar offerings, maybe something from the Laundry game second.

I'm in GMT-4.

Daekin
May 13th, 2012, 16:23
Sign me up! this sounds awesome!

Relic Wyverenight
June 7th, 2012, 05:22
I posted a comment on one of the pages for a Pathfinder game. Just wandering if there was anything else I needed to do like download pathfinder rules and spells for FGII program.

bennis1980
June 12th, 2012, 12:01
I'd like to run a game using the Rolemaster system, but I don't have huge experience with Fantasy Grounds. Would this be a problem because I'd love to get involved and I'm learning fast?

I guess what I'm asking is:

Are there any prerequisites for running a game on FGIIcon?

and

Has anyone any guidelines for a successful game? (I don't want to let people down)

damned
June 12th, 2012, 13:16
i would strongly reccomend that you run one earlier to get a feel for what prep you need to do, whether you will need voice + chat or chat only, how the game mechanics work from behind the DM Screen etc....

bennis1980
June 12th, 2012, 14:04
i would strongly reccomend that you run one earlier to get a feel for what prep you need to do, whether you will need voice + chat or chat only, how the game mechanics work from behind the DM Screen etc....

Yeah, I agree. I plan to get a session or two going before the event. Maybe some stand alone adventures with prepared characters.

But I also want to set myself a challenge and this FGIIcon sounds like the perfect platform to aim for.

I think voice and chat is the way to go - players who are not centre of attention can still use chat to plan strategy or have banter.

theimperialprincess
June 27th, 2012, 18:52
Thank you so much for clarifying! I was having a hard time with the times.

3am Eastern Friday July 20 to 6am Eastern Monday July 23

Unfortunately that is a bad weekend for me (watching a bunch of kids) but I will do my darndest to get to at least one game/event. And if I can help, I will.

Not quite - chezcaliente has confused Friday evening with the beginning of Friday New Zealand time and has posted links. I'll PM him and ask him to remove/modify them.

So, we are talking 3am Eastern Friday July 20 to 6am Eastern Monday July 23 - just over 72 hours.

Trenloe
June 29th, 2012, 16:21
Updated details here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16809

Includes links to further info for GMs and Players.