PDA

View Full Version : Hosting problems

van_nar
May 3rd, 2012, 13:16
I have a most infuriating problem, I’ve bought an ultimate license but I can’t get a connection working to host through my router. I’ve port forwarded my router, opened my firewall and still the connection test fails. I’m not unfamiliar with computers done many things like this before, tested with different computers and different equipment with some success. Using my vista laptop I can get a successful connection when using an unregistered install through my router without changing my routers port forwarding. I can only get my window 7 PC to connect if I use my mobile USB modem, whenever I try through the router it fails.

This doesn’t make sense to me why does my vista work through the router when my PC doesn’t? It’s probably something to do with the router but why does the unregistered vista get through without the port forwarding when my registered ultimate window 7 PC does not?

Trenloe
May 3rd, 2012, 15:37
I'm a little confused by your post... When you say "connects" do you mean the connect test is a success?

I'm guessing that is what you mean... So, I'll plow ahead with that assumption.

The connection test tries to use UPnP configuration on your router to automatically set the port forwarding for port 1802 (FG) to the IP address of the PC doing the connection test. This will explain why Vista connects "without the port forwarding". It sounds like Windows 7 is blocking the communication - more than likely the Windows Firewall (or another firewall if you have that installed). Check that Fantasy Grounds is listed as being allowed to communicate (sorry, I know this is not the correct terminology - but I can't check that at the moment) for the correct network "level" that your network connection is assigned (Home, Domain or Public).

Trenloe
May 3rd, 2012, 15:41
As an additional test - try connecting your unregistered Vista client to a running GM session on your Ultimate Windows 7 PC - connecting over the LAN rather than the Internet - this will rule out port forwarding issues on the router.

van_nar
May 4th, 2012, 05:44
Ah yes I did mean the connect test, UPnP that was my problem once I turned that off it worked.