PDA

View Full Version : re-install post format and image sharing

gmkieran
May 2nd, 2012, 15:12
Basic info: Windows XP sp3, FGII 2.8.1, 4e

Recently recovered from a series of issues with my machine requiring multiple re-formats and OS re-installs. Fortunately, I had an up-to-date backup of both my FGII Application Data folder and Program Files folder. After the last re-install I copied both to the appropriate places in the new setup. First note, my user profile name did change during this. Everything *seemed* to work fine - the program runs, I can connect to a game and access my existing server character in the ongoing campaign. Second note, I also changed my screen name when connecting to the game. However, when I connect to the game none of my resources are available (hot keys, portrait, tokens, modules, etc.), despite being in their usual place in my new user profile. I tried copying everything (including the game cache) to the admin profile and running FG there - same result. I tried copying all of the information to the All Users profile; same result. Also, during play I was unable to see shared images. The window would open, the "Loading" message would appear, but when it went away the window remained "masked" and all I could see were the PC tokens from the Ct. Re-sharing had no impact.

1) do I *need* to uninstall and re-install the software for image sharing and everything else to work?
2) is there a way to get the program to recognize the existing data (by reverting to previous profile and screen names perhaps?) or otherwise recover without a complete re-install?

thanks, as always!!!
GMKieran

Trenloe
May 2nd, 2012, 15:27
When connecting to the game as a player, you must use the original FG player name if you want to see information from the campaign linked to that player (notes, shared story/images, etc.) as this is tied to the player name not the PC they are playing. Which windows profile you use will not impact this.

As an aside - make sure that the shortcut link to the FG app data directory is where you have copied your files to - this is where FG will look for your data. The shortcut if found under Windows Start - Programs - Fantasy Grounds II. EDIT: This is more for the GMs as the player downloads campaign info when they connect to the GM, but will have an effect on player portraits and reference modules of type "client" on the player side.

As to why you can't see newly shared images, I'm not sure... Perhaps someone else might have an idea of that...

gmkieran
May 2nd, 2012, 16:41
Thanks, Trenloe! The aside is a fair point and is likely the source of most of my issue. None of the data I'm missing is player linked - I didn't have any specific note, maps, images, etc. for this character/player. I will bet that the link for the app data is wrong, though, because the user profile folder is different, so the path will be wrong. I'll fix that tonight and check it.

Cheers!
GMK

Trenloe
May 2nd, 2012, 16:50
Best way to check exactly what FG is looking for is in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Fantasy Grounds\2.0

See where the DataDir entry is pointing to. It will use double backslashes \\ instead of single slashes.

For example: DataDir"="C:\\Users\\martin\\AppData\\Roaming\\Fantasy Grounds II