PDA

View Full Version : Just need some info

Iyaoyas
May 2nd, 2012, 08:28
If this is the wrong place to ask this i am sorry, I just have a few questions about FG before i buy it.
1. If i was to buy the Ultimate License would my friends who havent bought any license still be able to connect to me.
2. What would they be limited to doing?
3. What version would I get and what would my friends be able to get?
4. When a new version comes out would i have to pay anymore or get the update for free?

Thank you for your time and answers

dr_venture
May 2nd, 2012, 08:58
Welcome Iyaoyas,

Correct me if I'm wrong, FG gurus...

1) If you spring for the Ultimate license, you can host a game for anyone who has the software, including those who only have the unlicensed demo version... so yep, friends who haven't bought yet can join in with those who already have a licensed copy.

2) The licensing levels only determine who can host and connect to games - once connected to a game, there are essentially no differences between licenses - they can use any function of the software that players are allowed to use.

3) I don't understand the question there, so... um... pass?

4) The software has an update utility built into it that allows you to install updates as they become available. I'm not aware of what criteria Smiteworks uses exactly to determine when an update requires repurchasing of the software. So far, in the couple years I've been using teh software, I've never seen a paid upgrade, nor any discussion of there being a planned one. I wouldn't be surprised if it were to happen at some point, but suffice to say it's not something that happens a lot.

Valarian
May 2nd, 2012, 09:09
Welcome to the community.

If this is the wrong place to ask this i am sorry, I just have a few questions about FG before i buy it.
1. If i was to buy the Ultimate License would my friends who havent bought any license still be able to connect to me.
With the Ultimate license, Unregistered users of the software can connect to your games. So, yes. They would just have to download the installer and install the software.

2. What would they be limited to doing?
You would need an active Internet connection (not just a local LAN) as the Unregistered versions need to connect using an alias. They would only be able to connect to games where the GM has an Ultimate license.

3. What version would I get and what would my friends be able to get?
The current version is 2.8.1. A newer version (2.9) is currently in testing. The installers are the same, no matter the license, so the version installed would be the same.

I think that the Unregistered version now allows an upgrade within the software. If not, then Unregistered users would have to uninstall the software and re-install using the newer installer. There could be a small delay when a new version is out before the installer available on the website is at the new version.

4. When a new version comes out would i have to pay anymore or get the update for free?
It has been free so far, but I'd be unable to say going forward. A Smiteworks person may be able to say more. The version patches (giving additional functionality as well as fixes) are free. If there's a major version update (FG3), there might be a charge. I would hope, in that event, that existing users would get a substantial discount to encourage them to stay.

Iyaoyas
May 2nd, 2012, 21:19
Thank you for your answers. I think that answers my questions. There are about 10 of us that play, we are all RL friends and we get together at one of our house about 2 times a month to play. We just want a easier way for people who dont have the books or dice. I think this is the program for us.

wbcreighton
May 2nd, 2012, 22:40
If more than one of the 10 people in the group is going to GM, then you might be better off to purchase Full licenses for the GMs and Lite licenses for the players ( and get a discounted package deal). Otherwise, only the one who bought the Ultimate is going to be able to host a game.

JohnD
May 2nd, 2012, 23:10
If more than one of the 10 people in the group is going to GM, then you might be better off to purchase Full licenses for the GMs and Lite licenses for the players ( and get a discounted package deal). Otherwise, only the one who bought the Ultimate is going to be able to host a game.
This is a great point.