PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate License: Unregistered users cannot connect

izual9164
April 30th, 2012, 09:17
So as the title states, I have the ultimate license and my friends cannot connect to my server. I have a lite license that I used to verify it was joinable, and that worked.

When they try to join it says the host is using an invalid key. Any thoughts?

phantomwhale
April 30th, 2012, 12:29
Just a thought - you mentioned you could connect with a lite license - is this installed on a different machine ?

And when you bring up Fantasy Grounds, what is written in white text in the top right corner of the application ?

Valarian
April 30th, 2012, 13:18
Things to check would be:

- check that the Unregistered license version is the same as the version of the Ultimate license

- compare version numbers in the top-right of the launcher screen
- both Ultimate and Unregistered need to be the same version
- check that the Ultimate license is the one being used

- text in top-right of launcher screen should be something like "Ultimate version 2.8.1" (as stated by PhantomWhale)
- might indicate a registry problem and the wrong license key is being used

izual9164
April 30th, 2012, 14:25
It says ultimate 2 8 1 and the lite is on a different machine.

JohnD
April 30th, 2012, 16:09
Do you have your port forwarding etc... set up properly?

Your other computer is likely on the same internal network; the players aren't (I assume).

Valarian
April 30th, 2012, 16:15
It doesn't sound like a port-forwarding issue. It sounds more likely that the Unregistered versions are not completely up-to-date. The players have to uninstall, re-download from the FG website, and re-install to update the Unregistered version (IIRC).

Check that the Unregistered license version is the same as the version of the Ultimate license.

izual9164
April 30th, 2012, 16:26
I will do that tonight and check back good or bad. Thank you guys for the help thus far.

izual9164
April 30th, 2012, 21:02
Okay. So I had the players all check the version numbers and they are all the same number as minemine. What now?

ddavison
April 30th, 2012, 22:45
Shoot an email to [email protected] and we can help you diagnose it by checking the logs for your license key. Don't post your license key here, obviously, but you can send it in the email, along with a rough idea of when you were trying to connect and host the game.

The alias you are using might be helpful as well.

JamesKnouse
May 11th, 2012, 18:31
I too have the Ultimate Upgrade from Full and am having trouble connecting people both as unregistered and as lite members. I also own a Lite license.

I installed the Ultimate License on my Mac along with wine and cant get them to connect. I also Installed it on a PC (one that I ran my Full License on) and they cannot connect. I am running the latest version of the software. I know at least one of my players who is unregistered is up to date as well because he just installed the software.

I might add... I have tried having players log on while my equipment was at work and at home. No Luck.

Whats up?

Moon Wizard
May 11th, 2012, 19:34
Can you provide the message that you are seeing on the client? It will help narrow down the possible issues.

Some things to try in order to pinpoint where the problem is occurring:

* Can you start a second instance on the same machine and connect using "localhost" as the server address? If not, then check the firewall for your machine to make sure that Fantasy Grounds is enabled to connect to network.

* Can you connect to your hosting machine from another machine on your network using the internal IP address?

* Does the Test Connection button work on the launcher screen of Fantasy Grounds on the hosting machine? If not, then port forwarding is being blocked. Check your router to ensure UPnP is enabled, or manually configure port forwarding on port 1802 to your hosting machine.

* Can someone from the Internet connect to your hosting machine using your "external" IP address? (There is a button to get the external IP address of your home network from the launcher screen of Fantasy Grounds.)

* Can someone from the Internet connect to your hosting machine using your alias? If not, try generating a new alias, since we there are rare occasions where aliases have not been unique.

Regards,
JPG

JamesKnouse
May 12th, 2012, 04:26
Can you provide the message that you are seeing on the client? It will help narrow down the possible issues.

Some things to try in order to pinpoint where the problem is occurring:

* Can you start a second instance on the same machine and connect using "localhost" as the server address? If not, then check the firewall for your machine to make sure that Fantasy Grounds is enabled to connect to network.

* Can you connect to your hosting machine from another machine on your network using the internal IP address?

I do not get an internal IP from home. Is this because I have a sat. connection? I do get an external though....

* Does the Test Connection button work on the launcher screen of Fantasy Grounds on the hosting machine? If not, then port forwarding is being blocked. Check your router to ensure UPnP is enabled, or manually configure port forwarding on port 1802 to your hosting machine.

No the test connection does not work. I went to the open port check tool and tested and it says: Success: I can see your service on xx.xxx.xxx.xxx on port (1802)
Your ISP is not blocking port 1802 (i left the numbers out on purpose...

* Can someone from the Internet connect to your hosting machine using your "external" IP address? (There is a button to get the external IP address of your home network from the launcher screen of Fantasy Grounds.)

I get the external IP when I click but others cannot join...

* Can someone from the Internet connect to your hosting machine using your alias? If not, try generating a new alias, since we there are rare occasions where aliases have not been unique.

nope.

Regards,
JPG

i replied to the above...

ddavison
May 12th, 2012, 04:46
Hello James,

I have a few more things to check.

1. Have you ran the Check for Updates button from the launch screen? 2.8.1 should be available after a successful update.

2. Do you happen to have more than 1 network card or connection active at the same time ? I've seen problems with an active wired and wireless connection both running simultaneously. Because FG isn't able to display your internal IP address, this makes me think this might be part of the problem.

3. Are you certain that your router is mapping your port 1802 to your local IP address? To get the local IP, you can normally go to Start | Run | Cmd [enter], then type ipconfig /all and find your local IP address. On top of allowing traffic on port 1802 at your firewall, it also needs to direct all that traffic to your local IP address.

4. Have you rebooted recently? Strange but true, I've seen one case where user hadn't rebooted for weeks and actually had another copy of FantasyGrounds.exe running in memory from a previous run that had crashed and was no longer visible. It was intercepting all the traffic.

JamesKnouse
May 13th, 2012, 02:45
Hello James,

I have a few more things to check.

1. Have you ran the Check for Updates button from the launch screen? 2.8.1 should be available after a successful update.

2. Do you happen to have more than 1 network card or connection active at the same time ? I've seen problems with an active wired and wireless connection both running simultaneously. Because FG isn't able to display your internal IP address, this makes me think this might be part of the problem.

3. Are you certain that your router is mapping your port 1802 to your local IP address? To get the local IP, you can normally go to Start | Run | Cmd [enter], then type ipconfig /all and find your local IP address. On top of allowing traffic on port 1802 at your firewall, it also needs to direct all that traffic to your local IP address.

4. Have you rebooted recently? Strange but true, I've seen one case where user hadn't rebooted for weeks and actually had another copy of FantasyGrounds.exe running in memory from a previous run that had crashed and was no longer visible. It was intercepting all the traffic.

Yes. I had this running before with the Full License. Since my upgrade I cant get it to work.

JamesKnouse
May 13th, 2012, 23:52
Looking for a refund.