PDA

View Full Version : New to Savage Worlds

Chris_Seal
April 23rd, 2012, 23:31
Hi all,

After many months of weighing up the options, I've decided to dive in a purchased a copy of SWD and of Interface Zero. I've run a few trial combats and am pretty happy with how the system runs so I'm looking forward to inflicting it on my players :).

I'd like to emulate the feel of old school CP2020, and with that in mind I'm thinking of making a couple of changes to the cybertrauma rules from Interface Zero.

Since I have no real experience running the game, I was hoping that I could get some feedback on my proposed rule changes to ensure that there are no obvious problems. As such I'd really appreciate any comments.

I'll be using the SWD Grim and Gritty damage rules rather than those presented in Interface Zero.

Cybertrauma. A cybertrauma roll is made whenever the character takes an injury to an area that has a cybernetic replacement only, not on a critical failure of a vigour test.

Bioware trauma. Bioware is different in that it is an integral part of the body, thus a bioware follows the standard cybertrauma rules set out in interface zero.

Cyberpsychosis. The act of implanting foreign objects within the human body has some strange, emotional and mental effects that can not be predicted. As more and more of the "meat" is replaced by "metal" a person becomes more and more divorced from society as a whole.

To represent cyberpsychosis, when a character gets a new implant they must make a spirit check to successfully integrate the new cyberware. Failing this check means the character gains the "Ghost in the machine" hindrance. If they already have the "Ghost in the machine" hindrance then they gain the "Bloodthirsty" hindrance.

If a character has both the "Ghost in the machine" and the "Bloodthirsty" hindrance and fails a cyberpsychosis check then they suffer a psychotic episode and attack the nearest living thing until subdued.

The cyberpsychosis check for bioware is always against a target number of 4. For cyberware, the more functions that a character has, the more difficult the check becomes. To represent this, for every three points of functions of cyberware a character has the spirit check gains an additional 2 point penalty. N.B. This includes the functions in the cyberware being implanted, thus someone with 5 points of functions installed, who is getting a 3 point cyberarm installed makes a spirit check at -4 to resist cyberpsychosis. The same character getting a replacement "meat" arm (bioware) makes a spirit check with no penalty.

Ghost in the machine hindrance: The character feels "twitchy" and wired around people. This incurs a -1 penalty to charisma as they are unable to relate easily to normal society.

As before, I appreciate any feedback on these house rules and thank you for taking the time to read this far.

Cheers
Chris

Mask_of_winter
April 24th, 2012, 15:50
Ghost in the machine is good. Adds flavor to the setting. But when you think about it it really is just the Outsider hindrance mechanically. Your version is a trapping of it.

Cybertrauma. This can work. Personnally, if I were a player and my toon suffered cybertrauma over an injury I would be upset. But if it's the grittiness you're looking for and your players are cool with it why not. Remember though that by default every hit targets the torso. To call a shot to a certain limb you get a penalty. So technically if you as a GM wanted to hit the head or arm you're baddies would rolling d6 or d8 -2 or 4. They dont have a wild die. Chances are they wont get hit very often. But who knows, maybe you plan on running a high powered campaign.

You might get more insightful or elaborate answers on the PEG forums. I've read through IZ but I cant say I'm familiar with it.

Chris_Seal
April 25th, 2012, 06:24
Thanks for your comments, Mask of Winter.

I totally missed the Outsider hindrance, d'oh.

Cheers
Chris