PDA

View Full Version : Minor Pathfinder Issue

jedorian
April 20th, 2012, 05:10
While running the Brinewall Legacy, one of my players (a warlock) was attacking his target with an eldritch blast, which resolves as a touch attack. To make the essences work quickly, he has the attack set up as a spell which he can cast on the enemy. When using the "Cast" button to attack the target, I have noticed that every time it calculates success for a hit against the target's CMD and not their AC values.

When he uses the "Attack" button for the spell, it calculates correctly. Rather than making him roll an attack after casting the spell on the creature and possibly missing when he would have otherwise hit them (and vice versa), I have been watching the rolls closely to inform him of whether he would have struck the creature or not.

Its not a debilitating thing, by any means, more of an oddity. If anyone has any remedies for this, or has noticed this as well, I'd like to know. And perhaps our developers can address this in the upcoming patch, or a later one.

Trenloe
April 20th, 2012, 05:20
Could you get a screenshot of the whole spell entry (everything expanded) so that we can take a look?

EDIT: Don't worry about the screenshot, I've managed to recreate with disrupt undead (Wizard level 0 spell). The issue happens (result compared against CMD) even when the attack is set to melee. Very strange!!!

jedorian
April 20th, 2012, 05:53
So, you can see in these screen shots that each attack is calculated differently. After spamming attacks to see what the range of hit or miss was with the "Cast" button, it became obvious that it is using CMD, and not the actual AC value.

Orbakhag's CMD is 15, his touch AC is 11. Notice that on each screen you can see that the "Cast" function misses this value, but the "Attack" function hits it as it should have.

jedorian
April 21st, 2012, 03:05
Its just weird. I doubt that I would have ever noticed it had the character not been using a spell-like ability as his primary attack.

Trenloe
May 2nd, 2012, 23:12
This has been fixed in V2.9 beta - see post #16 in the release thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=124023

jedorian
May 3rd, 2012, 15:25
Fantastic!